Old 06-30-2019, 03:25 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Rapid clicking

Hi friends, I have a maxum with a 4.3l thunderbolt v set up, we have just purchased this boat knowing it wasn’t running, it tries to start then as soon as you turn the key for a 2nd time it clicks rapidly, I’ve had the battery tested and it’s perfect, (also tried 2 other batteries) and had it on jump start with the same rapid clicking, the tilt trim also works on the 1st attempt to start then it clicks rapidly trying to use it after the 2nd attempt of starting, iit’s definitely not a battery issue (which seems like the obvious answer) I’m assuming it might be an earthing fault? I’ve cleaned the main earth on the back of the block and at the battery, also put in a new starter motor, starter solenoid, relay, and coil pack, leads and plugs. I’m absolutely stumped as to why it tries to start 1st attempt when cold then nothing there after, same result 4 weekends in a row. Please if anyone has any proper input help! Much appreciated.

Rodneyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 03:41 AM   #2
Admiral

Have you verified all the battery cables are clean and tight, both positive and negative. I know you said you cleaned the negative to the block but what about all the positive ones that go to the battery switch then slave soleniod then finally the starter? Have you used a volt meter to check what the voltage is when cranking at the battery and starter?

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 04:57 AM   #3
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
Have you verified all the battery cables are clean and tight, both positive and negative. I know you said you cleaned the negative to the block but what about all the positive ones that go to the battery switch then slave soleniod then finally the starter? Have you used a volt meter to check what the voltage is when cranking at the battery and starter?
all are clean and tight, I have 13+ volts at the battery and starter.
Rodneyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 11:20 AM   #4
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodneyb View Post
all are clean and tight, I have 13+ volts at the battery and starter.
When measuring at the starter do you have the negative meter lead on the case of the starter? This will verify good path back to negative terminal on the battery.

Mike
Old 06-30-2019, 12:43 PM   #5
Captain

Have you tried to turn the engine with a breaker bar? Make sure it turns freely.
Are you certain there is no water in the cylinders? It could be hydrolocked.
I recommend removing plugs and turning the engine by hand. Then try with starter and see if any water shoots out of the plug holes.
jrsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 01:09 PM   #6
Admiral

Typically is the engine is locked you get just one clunk. Rapid clicking is low power at either the slave or starter soleniod.

Mike
Old 07-01-2019, 03:13 PM   #7
Lieutenant

Did you check the connection at the Slave solenoid? I had same problem and it was the slave solenoid. I always keep an extra on board now.

jayesq is offline   Reply With Quote