Old 07-25-2008, 04:05 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Range on a tank of fuel

Hello guys,

This the first question form a new member (no doubt it will not be the last).

I am now the proud owner of a Maxum 2500 SCR, it is a 2001 model with the 5 litre EFI petrol engine, can someone please let me know how many hours or miles l can expect on a tank of fuel, and at what rpm or speeds l should be running her to gain the best fuel consumption.

How long do the batteries last while at anchor with the lights and radio running, do l need to periodically start the engine or should l buy a generator?

Thanks very much,

Gary

fohn@cgg.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 04:33 PM   #2
Admiral

Hi Gary and welcome to the zoo...you have a great boat there for weekenders and hopefully you will get good use out of it..
milage can be really subjective..in a perfect world you should get about 2 mpg...but knowing where you are..the currents, winds, waves, taking into account several variables as well as load weight on the boat you should be getting about 12-14 gph.....running at your 75% max speed...in other words if your running at say 27mph...then you should be getting your best gas usage..however...it also depends on the prop you have...and drive....
so to answer this it's really impossible at this time....just put it this way..the harder you push the loud handle (throttle) ..the more gas your gonna use and the faster your going to get there.....

the lighter you keep your boat...the cleaner you keep the hull and the tuned up engine is maintained...the better gas usage your going to get...

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote