Old 04-05-2009, 11:45 AM   #1
Commander

Default radar arch

has anyone seen a stock glass arch for a 2002 2400 scr it look like a 2700scr arch may fit any ideas if one can be cut down in width if needed.the arch really add to the lines .thanks

cunuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 02:32 PM   #2
Ensign

Default Any luck finding one or a solution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cunuck View Post
has anyone seen a stock glass arch for a 2002 2400 scr it look like a 2700scr arch may fit any ideas if one can be cut down in width if needed.the arch really add to the lines .thanks

I am also looking to do a fiberglass arch on a 2400, doesn't appear to be an easy task. Did you ever make any progress with this?

tekknosk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 04:20 PM   #3
Admiral

The 2400 was not offered with a radar arch. You will have to go aftermarket or custom.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 05:00 PM   #4
Ensign

Default Arch and model

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
The 2400 was not offered with a radar arch. You will have to go aftermarket or custom.
I am searching the web for custom fiberglass arches and not having a lot of luck. This is a feature I am really wanting mainly because I love how the front bimini attaches to it, so I am assuming I would also need to find someone to make a custom bimini as well if I ever find someone that fabricate an arch.

I have not purchased the 2400 yet it's what I am leaning heavily towards, I am trying to make this work to get into a smaller lighter model vs the 2700 / 2800 etc. I am having a hard time to find reasons to go much larger since I can get all the features it seems in a 2400 of course minus a little less space, and a booth style seat in the galley. Mostly smaller for tow weight is my biggest reason, I can still pull a 2400 with my Grand Cherokee (short tows) for the winter storage, I probably could pull a 2700 / 2800 but it is for sure a lot heavier.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:07 PM   #5
Admiral

Depends on how the Grand Cherokee is outfitted, engine, transmission, coolers. What is the tow rating on it?

The 2400 is 5000lbs dry so you need to add weight for the fuel and gear on board plus trailer weight, in all I would suspect it to be 7000 - 8000 lbs

Mike
Old 07-29-2015, 10:57 PM   #6
Ensign

Default Towing

Quote:
Depends on how the Grand Cherokee is outfitted, engine, transmission, coolers. What is the tow rating on it?

The 2400 is 5000lbs dry so you need to add weight for the fuel and gear on board plus trailer weight, in all I would suspect it to be 7000 - 8000 lbs
I am rated for 6500lbs with a class 3 hitch, 4.7l v8. It has a trans cooler and also a power steering cooler. Big radiators on front standard I think with my 06 Laredo. I know it's more than I should be towing already with a 2400 but it would only be short distance towing and only during season change. I believe from what I read as long as you have trans cooler it's not really anything but power on freeway and suspension that starts falling short from ideal specs. I have seen a video of a wrangler pulling a big old must be '45 motor yacht out with zero problem. Still wish I had a 1/2 or 3/4 ton for towing but I love my jeep and don't really want to come up with another tow vehicle only for season change.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:59 PM   #7
Admiral

You missed another very important item; brakes! Your brakes are undersized for this load and in an emergency stop it will come into play.

The problem with all these videos is yes you can tow over the rating but the relalibility is greatly impacted. Drive train, suspension, and brakes will wear out much sooner.

It's your call. If as you said it's just twice a year to launch her for the season and pull her at the end you should be ok but I would not want to do any highway driving due to brakes and heavy tounge weight.

Mike
Old 07-30-2015, 01:06 AM   #8
Ensign

Default brakes

Quote:
You missed another very important item; brakes! Your brakes are undersized for this load and in an emergency stop it will come into play.

The problem with all these videos is yes you can tow over the rating but the relalibility is greatly impacted. Drive train, suspension, and brakes will wear out much sooner.

It's your call. If as you said it's just twice a year to launch her for the season and pull her at the end you should be ok but I would not want to do any highway driving due to brakes and heavy tounge weight.
Good point with the brakes for sure. I would never attempt anything over 45mph with this and that's still probably not the best idea. I wonder how common trailers that have brake assist are and if that even makes much of a difference or not. My current boat is an older 86 Rinker v205 deep v cuddy on a dual axle loadrite trailer and weighs around 3000lbs plus trailer weight and tows and stops effortlessly. Maybe a trailer with brake assist might help? This is a new area for me never dealt with larger setup.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:30 AM   #9
Admiral

Depends on you state but several require brakes for 3000 lbs and over.

Being surge brakes they still push the tow vehicle but definitely help. Also the tounge weight can cause sway.

Mike
Old 07-30-2015, 12:02 PM   #10
Ensign

Wonder how much EOH electric over hydraulic brakes might help. Trailers over 3000lbs all have surge brakes which are not accurate but do have solid emergency stopping power through hydraulic setup. Some have straight electronic brakes which I read are not as great as stopping force. EOH is supposed to be best of both worlds allowing for acute braking action which can be dialed in or manually controlled when you add additional brake controller. Expensive setup but cheaper than new car. Tongue sway would still be an issue for sure but I am thinking low speed towing shouldn't be a problem. I have had trailer sway before on large loads at high speeds before so I know how it feels when the tail starts wagging the dog. Not fun.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:59 PM   #11

You're not towing a 2700/2800 with a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Both exceed the towing specs. You won't find a fiberglass arch aftermarket. It will be aluminum (pipe style), which will preclude you from using it for the bimini.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 01:36 PM   #12
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
You're not towing a 2700/2800 with a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Both exceed the towing specs. You won't find a fiberglass arch aftermarket. It will be aluminum (pipe style), which will preclude you from using it for the bimini.
Looking for a custom shop to see if they can fabricate one possibly. Other option would be of course just keeping it at marina full time and pay winter storage. If I keep it there at this point other than cost trying to determine differences to help me decide between 2400 / 2700 / 2800. I thought AC, heat, pressurized water system for awhile was not available on a 2400 but looking around I am finding those features on it as well. The 2700 and 2800 appear to have radar arches as long as they are SCR models I think. Any insight on between these that could be feature driven deciding factors? Only thing I can see is the extra booth style seat in galley and bigger forward bed. Slightly more room too on deck seating too. Looks like lounge seat opposite of pilot seat only available on 2700. Of course beam is wider too. Haven't fully decided between single motor or twins. Thinking single for maintenance cost reason. If I go single then a bravo 3 looks like the way to go. Would be nice for a twin to do spins for docking at marina but I have seen singles that also have bow thruster which makes it almost as easy if not easier.
Old 07-30-2015, 04:18 PM   #13
Admiral

No experience with EOH so I cannot comment.

Mike
Old 07-30-2015, 04:23 PM   #14
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekknosk8er View Post
Looking for a custom shop to see if they can fabricate one possibly. Other option would be of course just keeping it at marina full time and pay winter storage. If I keep it there at this point other than cost trying to determine differences to help me decide between 2400 / 2700 / 2800. I thought AC, heat, pressurized water system for awhile was not available on a 2400 but looking around I am finding those features on it as well. The 2700 and 2800 appear to have radar arches as long as they are SCR models I think. Any insight on between these that could be feature driven deciding factors? Only thing I can see is the extra booth style seat in galley and bigger forward bed. Slightly more room too on deck seating too. Looks like lounge seat opposite of pilot seat only available on 2700. Of course beam is wider too. Haven't fully decided between single motor or twins. Thinking single for maintenance cost reason. If I go single then a bravo 3 looks like the way to go. Would be nice for a twin to do spins for docking at marina but I have seen singles that also have bow thruster which makes it almost as easy if not easier.

My 2400 has AC and a freshwater system but no heat, do not think that was ever offered only AC.

The newer (2000 and up) 2700 SE had an arch option.

Mike
Old 07-30-2015, 05:37 PM   #15
Ensign

Quote:
My 2400 has AC and a freshwater system but no heat, do not think that was ever offered only AC.

The newer (2000 and up) 2700 SE had an arch option.
I have seen 2000+ 2400scr with heat according to listings on pop yacht website. Here is a link to one. Seems like a rare option only on 2000+ models as far as I can tell. Not even sure what the difference is on a 2400 between SCR and SE but was happy too see AC and Heat with freshwater option. How do you feel space wise on your 2400? How many people comtably for you? Right now my current boat is only 20.5 cuddy cabin and we get 6 on it a lot for the day. We spend most of our time swimming off sandy areas. I would like to be able to camp out at marinas comfortably maybe 4 people. With shower and head and galley. Not planning on anything longer normally than weekend trips. We are primarily out in Erie and sometimes head up to St Claire. More space us for sure nice to have. https://www.popyachts.com/maxum-2400...82349?c=269985
Old 07-30-2015, 08:19 PM   #16
Admiral

My biggest complaint is not enough on deck storage, just a small compartment under the aft bench.

She will seat 6 adult comfortably but in mu opinion only sleep 2 adult in the midberth. The forward berth is only good for small children. Sleeping on the reclined seat on deck as stated by the add you posted would only work for short people and don't toss as you could fall +2 feet to the deck, not for me.

IMO if you plan to do regular overnighting go bigger.

BTY: some will advertise this model with heat but are wrong, the knob is labeled cooler to warmer but it's just AC. I have only seen the 2700 and up with reverse cycle heat/AC. However it may have been owner installed.

Mike
Old 07-31-2015, 06:18 PM   #17
Ensign

Quote:
My biggest complaint is not enough on deck storage, just a small compartment under the aft bench.

She will seat 6 adult comfortably but in mu opinion only sleep 2 adult in the midberth. The forward berth is only good for small children. Sleeping on the reclined seat on deck as stated by the add you posted would only work for short people and don't toss as you could fall +2 feet to the deck, not for me.

IMO if you plan to do regular overnighting go bigger.

BTY: some will advertise this model with heat but are wrong, the knob is labeled cooler to warmer but it's just AC. I have only seen the 2700 and up with reverse cycle heat/AC. However it may have been owner installed.
Think I am leaning back towards a 2700 / 2800 anything larger starts to jump in price from what I've been looking at online now for a long time. There is also the 2600SE which looks roomier. Probably will just have to budget to be a full timer at the marina, and if I decide to pull it out for the winter, thinking renting a truck, which I have seen can be tricky. I have heard everything from U-haul, Enterprise, to even home depot truck rental for short tows lol. When I go to purchase I most likely will have to buy out of state, not as many of these for sale off pop yachts I have seen good deals on in Michigan, and of course will avoid salt water vessels since they seem to have more corrosion / wear / use on them. Long towing should be fun to figure out.

Thanks everyone for the tips and suggestions, hopefully I will be buying here in the near future when I have enough saved up.