Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-29-2012, 06:21 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Questions about 2000SRL

'Hi everyone,

Im the new owner of an excellent condition 1996 2000srl. Im in the process of replacing all cables, seals, gaskets, bellows and gimbal bearing on my boat in order to have a problem free summer on lake mead. Ive got a few questions for the experts below, any help is appreciated:

1) What is the horsepower rating of my 2bbl 5.7l engine?
2) What should my top speed be and is it an efficient hull?
3) Are there any recommended upgrades that I should do to the boat?
4) What would be a good pitch to start with for all around performance? I was looking at an 18p SS 4 blade Stiletto.
5) Where can i get replacement parts such as rear cushion, etc?

Thanks for your time!

-Geoff

Geoffw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:43 PM   #2
Admiral

geoff
welcome to the zoo....sounds like a nice boat..doing the maintenance this early is good as it should eliminate problems later...

to answer a few questions...might I suggest you look at replacing the raw water impeller in the leg also...depending on what leg you have can determine if it's in the lower unit of the outdrive or attached to the engine....so that data would help us recommend a direction for that effort..

1) the 5.7ltr engine should run about 220-250 hp with a 2 bubble carb on it..
2) you should top out with half gas, light load, 2 people on board at about 42-45mph....what you rally want to look at is the WOT(wide open throttle) of the boat..meaning what is the max rpm in gear with the same load..that should be between 4400-4800rpm...now if you had an mpi engine that would be pretty close to 5250 rpm
3)a boat is like a canvas...how much paint and bling do you want to put on it to make it yours....not much to upgrade cept for stereo....tower....lights....vhf radio and gps.....
4)depends on WOT
5)you may have to contact the local canvas guys to help you there...I know there;s someone around that has the original patterns and can sew up some fresh skins for you but I can't remember who it is...hopefully one of the other guys can chime in on this one...

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:26 PM   #3
Commander

Hi there Geoff, nice boat and I hope you enjoy it and it serves you well.
I have the 96 2100SR with the 5.7 2bbl so here is what I can offer (based on mine of course)
1) 5.7 2bbl for 1996 is 235hp (that is what the Merc. manual states anyway)
2) I get 54-55 mph on glass with 2 adults on mine. I am running a Solas 21p 3 blade though at around 4000 RPM. 19p or even 4 blade 18p will give better holeshot and higher RPM but not as much on top end (maybe 50 or so?)
3) I upgraded my stereo and speakers, replaced the Convertible top (made by Letas Top Shop) and bought a custom cover for it.
4) I think a 19p 3 blade would be a good start (18p 4 should be fine as well). This should give good holeshot for skiing yet still give good top end
5) Just as SP stated already, local canvas or upholstery shop would be a good start. Bayliner dealers can get some stuff still and a lot of the other stuff can be found with some searching (either aftermarket or oem)
mcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:42 PM   #4
Commander

Oh, and BTW, I have the engine and outdrive service manuals as well as 1996 Maxum Owners/Operators manual if interested. PM me your email address and I can provide you a link to download them (way too big for email, sorry).
Old 03-01-2012, 05:53 PM   #5
Ensign

Every 3 blade Ive ever used has made the boat porpoise out of control. I have a 21P High 5 on it now and it doesnt go over 4000rpms but its incredibly smooth and stable.which
Old 03-05-2012, 02:26 PM   #6

Geoffw, If your MAx RPM @ WOT is only 4K, then you are over propped. The porpoising can be controlled with less Trim Out on the drive or tabs. Take a look at smart tabs, which would address that issue nicely. You are overloading the engine in an atttempt to smooth the ride. Trim and tabs would be FAR cheaper in the long run.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:08 PM   #7
Commander

Have to agree with Shrew here. I have always run 3 blade props and have never had porpoise issues on anything. I have had a 16' fiberglass fishing boat with a 50hp outboard, a 20' Chapparel 200XLC with a 5.7 4bbl 260hp and now my current 21' Maxum 2100SR with the 5.7 2bbl 235hp. All have run fine at all speeds.

Now for my current setup, at some point I will probably re-prop it and go with 19p as WOT with the 21p is a bit low (only 4000). The 19p should put her right where she is supposed to be at 4200-4400 or so.
There are advantages of 4 and 5 blades but I have always found the 3 blade to perform well enough for my needs and I do like the price of them. They are also readily accessible at just about every marina and online store so for emergency replacement, no issues at all.