Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-14-2012, 11:08 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default Pros/cons of short-term berthing

My 2600SE has been stored on a trailer since it was new. There are several marinas near me, one on the ocean side just a mile down the road, and others on the bay side that are 1/2 hour to 45 minutes drive away. I don't think I'd ever berth my boat permanently mainly due to cost, but lately I've been pondering renting a berth in the summer for a short term, like 2 or 3 months.

It's easy to think about the pros of doing that, but I'd like to make sure I understand all of the cons. Most of the cons I can think of are additional expenses: the monthly rental fee, and any extra boat and engine maintenance that would be required. There might even be preparation I'd need, like bottom painting the boat, since currently it's not painted.

I really have no feel for how bad these things can get, like how much faster things corrode on the outdrive and engine, and how expensive is it to replace. I've seen other boats hauled out covered in barnacles and algea and it looks like alot of work to clean, but I imagine they were in the water for a long time.

Anyway, since I'm still waiting to launch for the first 2012 boat trip, I thought I'd start this to get some advice based on your experiences to help me make a decision. It's very tempting in alot of ways, but I want to have a realistic idea of the impact.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:12 AM   #2
Admiral

the main thing to do make sure the slip isn't really hot.....electrically....then get the zinc's all freshened up..ie new zinc's.....then make sure you bottom paint the boat.....which requires sanding..primer...and bottom paint....that will prevent growth.....then when you leave the boat tied to the dock....make sure the batt;s are on charge....shore power is plugged in....spring lines on...fenders out.....locked/cocked and ready to rock!!.....

I generally leave the ac/heat off when I leave it for the week...but for a few hrs I let it run.....

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:51 PM   #3
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

All of what Steve says.

However, given the boat hasn't been painted before, and since you have a trailer, I'd seriously consider hauling it out once every couple of weeks for an hour or two to clean off the bottom. Or maybe haul it after the first week so you can get an idea how quickly the growth accumulates and how easy, or difficult, it is to clean it off.

Once you paint it it's extremely difficult to go back.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:58 PM   #4
Lt. Commander

Yes, zincs.... engine only has 100 hrs on it and they look OK to me, but definitely aren't new. I wonder if this is something I can do myself? They seem to be in easily accessed places - are there any that aren't obvious or easy to get to?

I forgot to mention that the engine is raw water cooled. If the zincs are replaced, does that minimize any corrosion on the engine for a 3 month saltwater soak?

I don't think that I would tackle bottom painting myself ... it would be hard to lift it off of the trailer. So I'd have to pony up the $$$ to have it done. I like your idea Dan of hauling it out and spraying it down every 2 weeks. Shouldn't be that hard. I've had it in the water for up to 4 days and the fiberglass just got a little green tinge to it, but that was easily cleaned off.