Old 09-11-2011, 09:14 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Prop Issues

Hi all, I am having some problems towing a wake boarder from my maxum 1900 sr, the boat doesn't want to plane and the more throttle you give it just ends up just spinning the prop and no improvement in speed or plane. The prop is a 21 pitch 3 blade s/s laser II fitted to a alpha one leg powered by a 4.3 mercruiser, do I need a four or hi five blade prop to tow or could it be something more sinister.

I have seen the link about props but wandered if anyone had any first hand experience of this? Also where is the best/cheapest place to buy a prop, and anyone interested in a 3 blade Laser II 21 pitch prop if that is the issue?

Thanks in advance

Tom

bluemax1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 12:04 PM   #2
Lieutenant

sounds like you spun the prop. You will need to have it serviced as the rubber center has come loose from the hub. If you can move at low speeds but not higher rpms that is likely the cause. If I were you I would go on line to get new prop and keep the old repaired one as a backup as there are a lot of good sources for getting reliable replacements at some competitive prices.

ccruser1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 01:49 PM   #3
Commander

Agree with ccruser here, sounds like you spun the hub. Even a 21 will eventually get you on plane under load if all was well. You can mark the prop and hub to verify it is spinning just to be sure. Just put a mark on the outer ring of prop and one on the hub itself (like by the nut), then go for a drive and duplicate your issue. Then raise the leg and take a peek.
mcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:26 PM   #4
Lieutenant

Bluemax if the prop and hub are not spinning together, check and see if you have a replaceable hub before you send it out. You can knock the hub out yourself and replace it for less than $20. It's just a tapered block of plastic that sits in the inside of your propeller. Quite a few web sites show you how to do it and you don't have to be very handy. Pretty much a hammer and heavy screw driver is all that you need. I've done it dock side without taking the boat out of the water, but if you do that be very careful you don't drop any of the parts, nothing worse than swimming around the dock looking for your prop nut.
jayesq is offline   Reply With Quote