Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-08-2019, 07:23 PM   #1
Ensign

Exclamation Problem with Head

Hi All
We have a maxum 2500 scr and this weekend the button stopped working after 2 flushes we checked breaker switch/fuse box under dash all looks well there. We thought it may have stopped because there was too much water below deck so we flushed all out with bulge pump. There is waste in toilet we need to clear out. We’ve read thru some of the other suggestions and still no luck, any other ideas?

Hav0konthewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 12:43 AM   #2
Ensign

Hi,
We are having the same problem with our Maxum 2500. Did you every figure out where the fuse is? If so can you tell us where to look? Thanks so much!

Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 12:50 AM   #3
Admiral

Neither of you almost a year and a half apart even bothered to mention the type of head you have.... Can't help you without more information.

Sounds like a clog to me.....
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 10:52 PM   #4
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
Hi,
We are having the same problem with our Maxum 2500. Did you every figure out where the fuse is? If so can you tell us where to look? Thanks so much!
Never found the fuse. Took it in to the marina for them to fix. Apparently it's a bad switch and a burned out pump. Good luck
Old 11-01-2020, 10:53 PM   #5
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
Neither of you almost a year and a half apart even bothered to mention the type of head you have.... Can't help you without more information.

Sounds like a clog to me.....
Stock head, your guess is as good as mine what brand that is. Bad switch and burned out pump. Definitely not a clog, but thanks.
Old 11-02-2020, 01:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hav0konthewater View Post
Hi All
this weekend the button stopped working after 2 flushes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hav0konthewater View Post
Bad switch and burned out pump.
That would be very odd for both the switch and the pump to die at the exact same time. If I had to guess, it was probably one or the other, but the wrong thing was replaced first.

For example, they could have put a meter on the pump and replaced it when they got no or very low voltage, only to find out the issue remained after replacing the pump. They then back tracked and found the issue was actually in the switch, but the pump had already been replaced. Replacing the switch ultimately fixed the issue, so they ended up billing you for both.

Purely speculation, but honestly.......BOTH the switch and the pump went at the same time?? My theory is far more likely.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 10:29 PM   #7
Ensign

Hi Philbo,
Thanks for your response. The pump is a Jabsco. I checked for a clog but there was none. I removed the pump and put power directly to it and it worked. There is no power to the pump or switch. I was sent the wiring diagram and it showed a fuse which it's location has eluded me. I found another thread on this site and someone said the fuse is behind the battery switches. I haven't had time to check if that is accurate but I am convinced it could be.My guess on the other person who the marina fixed their boat didn't need the switch or pump but the fuse also and the marina couldn't find it quickly either. So far I have several hours into this diagnoses and believe when I put a new fuse in, it should have been a 1/2 hour job if I knew where it was. Fyi I ended up with a new switch also as the retaining nut was very corroded and the switch was destroyed to remove it so I could test it. I'll update this thread when I get to the boat later this week. It's out of the water, now.
Old 12-20-2020, 12:11 AM   #8
Ensign

HI those whose head doesn't work. Near the battery switch on my 2003 2500 is a circuit breaker panel. Behind it is the fuse for the head and some other fuses basically hiding. Take the four screws out holding the small circuit breaker panel right near the battery switch. It took me at least five hours of wasted time to diagnose why the head pump didn't work not knowing this fuse was cleverly hidden back there. Find that fuse before you waste anytime if you have a head pump not working.
Old 12-21-2020, 02:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
Find that fuse before you waste anytime if you have a head pump not working.
The best way to work an electrical problem is from the device to the battery following the circuit. IF there is no power to the device, then meter the switch. If there is no power to the switch, then move back. Between the switch and the battery will be either a breaker or a fuse.

Properly installed, the fuse/breaker protects the circuit, not the device. Therefore the fuse should be placed as close to the battery as possible. It is often either in the 12VDC fuse panel or breaker panel. If it's not there keep heading toward the battery and you will eventually find it.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote