Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-25-2011, 11:55 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Potential battery issue?

Newbie question:

I have a 2700SCR, went out over the weekend (2nd time ever on my own) and decided to anchor and cut the engine to do some fishing. About 30 minutes in the radio cuts off so I immediately go to turn the engine back on and get nothing as expected. I have two batteries and turn the switch from battery 1 to battery 2 and get just enough juice to turn the engine over, so from there I just left it on while the rest of the time we were out. The manual says if I turn the switch to position one it charges battery 1, position 2 charges battery 2, and position "both" does not charge the batteries at all. The boat was hooked up to shore power for several days and the battery charger was on, so I'm confused.

We went out on the baot twice before buying in addition having the batteries load tested with good results. I'm convinced I've done something to trigger this problem but don't know where to start troubleshooting. Any advice is much appreciated.

dhawthrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:21 AM   #2
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Could be a raft of things Don. dirty connections, weak alternator, the battery switch itself. Can probably rule out the batteries themselves for now since you did have them tested, but do you know how old they are?

While you were out do you know if there were any other loads operating aside from the radio?

If it is a simple battery switch when on "Both" the engine should charge both. Mine does, but it's tough to tell without looking at how they are wired.

Troubleshooting if you have a multi-meter: with the battery charger off check the voltages of both. Charger on, check both. charger off, engine on, chech 1st on position 1, then the other in position 2, then both in position Both.

Dan

ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:05 PM   #3

Lightbulb After 2-1/2 years, when in doubt, CHUCK EM' OUT!!

The previous post regarding the Both on and charging is correct. Be carful when using the battery switch tho. Do not under any circumstances (while the engine is running) turn the battery switch to off or any position that would deprive the engine alternator of connection with at least one operating battery. This can blow the diodes in the Alternator rendering it useless as a charging source and the engine to run only till the battery power runs out. (which means you are stranded)

If the batteries are over 2-1/2 year old replace them and start anew. I run Gel cell group 31s and I still only get 3 years max out of them because of the constant discharging and charging cycles they are put thru in that amount of time.

The only time I go from both to one is when I am about to rack out and then I switch to the house battery for the evening (without the genny on)

Determine which batt is the house batt (with the engine off) by turing on the radio with switch in both position switch the selector to switch to 1 and 2 to see when the radio shuts off then you know which one is the house batt. use label maker to clearly note which is which.

Hope it helps,

Bella Sera 3300SCR Out.
Bella Sera 3300SCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:57 PM   #4
Admiral

DH.........all this is good info...........google marine battery maintence and your find a great amount of info to educate yourself on how to handle all this. You might even think about adding a third battery.

I know on our 2001 3000 SCR our batteries are going on four years which in many cases it about the limit. Battery life is based on cycles. How many times your battery charger has cycled or charged that battery of yours.

Good maintence to the key to getting the most out of your batteries. Also with a variety of different kinds of batteries out there you can make a better decision what will work for you and how much you want to spend.

Yes spend some time and figure out what does what with each battery. Then when your anchored out you can turn off the right battery to make sure the engine starts when your ready to head for home.

Hope this helps......

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:43 PM   #5
Ensign

It ended up being a dead battery charger. Replaced it last week and left it on overnight, fully charged the next day.

Thanks to all for the advice!
dhawthrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:27 PM   #6

Dhawthorne, thanks for the follow-up. I had the same issue a coupld of years ago. battery charger was running, but not actually charging. If these are flooded batteries, consider replacing with AGM. As Bella said, Group 31's, which is what I run as well.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:42 PM   #7
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote