Old 07-04-2020, 09:11 AM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Plastic fuel tank re-installation 1800 XR 1992

Hi all, I'm making headway now with my 1992 1800 XR rebuild. New stringers and bulkheads glassed in so almost ready to refit the fuel tank. It's a plastic tank (original) and seems in good order but I find the way it was fitted strange and best and worryingly inadequate at worst.

It's clearly the original tank (Inca brand) as it was manufactured in September 1991 and fits the hull contour. As you can see from the images it was simply resting on the fibreglass of the hull bottom, not on any padding material at all and there was a gap on all four sides. The only means of 'fastening' was the piece of 1.5 inch timber you can see in the image attached to the underside of the 18mm ply section that covers the tank section between the stringers (the floor sits on top of this section. You can see the corresponding mark on the top of the tank left by the piece of timber. All this was doing was pressing down on the tank.

There are some pieces of soft rubber strips on each end of the tank although they aren't thick enough to bridge the gap around the tank. There are also two of these strips on the top of the tank which contact nothing!

A few questions then:

1. Do I refit the 30 year old plastic tank? (if not where on earth could I get a replacement?)
2. If I do refit, should I just follow the same installation procedure as was done at the factory?
3. Shouldn't the bottom of the tank have some sort of padding to isolate it from the harsh fibreglass surface beneath?
4. Surely there should be padding of some sort between the clamping timber piece and the tank?

Thanks in advance,
Marcus
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200617_094505.jpg   IMG_20200617_094513.jpg   IMG_20200617_201821.jpg  

Old 07-04-2020, 10:03 AM   #2
Lt. JG

I've searched high and low in the web and I can't find anything suitable as a replacement size-wise. A custom made one would be in excess of £500 easily, I've spent enough on this 'project' now, I don't want to have to fork out this sort of money. Looks like it's getting refitted so I just need advice on the best way to secure and protect it.

Old 07-04-2020, 11:46 AM   #3
Admiral

Most folks I know who have replaced their fuel tank lay down some rubber strips first and used two metal straps with rubber across the top. Typically there is foam on the sides to help hold it in place then then the new deck does the rest.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 11:59 AM   #4
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
Most folks I know who have replaced their fuel tank lay down some rubber strips first and used two metal straps with rubber across the top. Typically there is foam on the sides to help hold it in place then then the new deck does the rest.
Thanks for the info, I've read about the neoprene strips and I'm googling them now actually. I presume they mean the 'solid' neoprene and not the spongy wetsuit type stuff?
Old 07-04-2020, 02:52 PM   #5
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryharls View Post
Thanks for the info, I've read about the neoprene strips and I'm googling them now actually. I presume they mean the 'solid' neoprene and not the spongy wetsuit type stuff?
Correct.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 03:54 PM   #6
Lt. JG