Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-19-2016, 12:13 AM   #1
Lt. JG

Unhappy Over charging ?

I have a 1999 SCR 41, twin Cummins, generator and a fairly new Inverter. this happened late last year and more frequent this year. The panel that is hooked to my inverter usually shows 12.5 - 13 volts. on my way out yesterday I noticed on my gauge on the bridge the starboard meter showed 15 volts, port 14, when I went down in the galley where the inverter panel is it showed 16 and was beeping, eventually it went into an overload code. When I got back into port, hooked up to shore power, didn't put the battery charger on and the overload code stayed on over night. The next time I go up it might be all ok, but then out of the blue voltage starts to climb.

RayTrask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 02:24 AM   #2
Admiral

This is a voltage regulation issue and not an over charging.

I would monitor the input to the inverter to see if it fluxuates as well. I.e. Is the power source to the inverter causing it or is it the inverter itself.

Also is happening when only on batteries, engines running, shore power, or genny?

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:29 AM   #3
Lt. JG

Default Thanks Mike

appreciate your help Mike, I will do more research this weekend. Will try different scenarios, document and respond over the weekend. Appreciate your help, I'm a 1st time boat owner, the learning doesn't ever stop.
Old 07-23-2016, 04:23 PM   #4
Lt. JG

Question

Inverter alarm going off while under power, starb eng gauge reads 16 V, Port 14. alarm on inverter reading 16.2. got back to port shut her down. a week later. gene and Starb eng wont turn over, Port started. as soon as it started the inverter alarm went off. I tested going into the inverter 16.2 with engine running, turn Port engine off 13.1, turn engine back on alarm comes back on, same high voltage. tested from batteries while engine on. Battery 1 reads 13.1, Batt 2 reads 16.5, turn engine off 14.1 from Batt 2. There is what looks like a power distribution bar that the red cable go to from each battery. 5 posts marked A1&2 and B1,2,3, with the port engine on I get a reading on post A1 - 17 V, that goes to my port alternator, A2 - 5 v goes to my Starb alternator , B1 - 16.3 goes to Battery 2, B2 post I get a reading of 16.3 goes to Batt 2 and B3 gets goes to one of my house Batt. Cause of over charge I need help with.
Old 07-26-2016, 01:55 AM   #5
Admiral

I'm at a lose, you said this started last year and the inverter is fairly new. Guess I would try disconnecting the inverter and see if the battery and alternates go back to acting normal. Seems like a bad interaction here.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote