Old 07-26-2019, 03:39 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default Not sure how to use my vacuflush

Hey everyone. I'm browsing the forums trying to gather info, but maybe you all can help. I just took ownership of this boat yesterday.

So, the waste tank was full so when I got the boat to my marina I decided to use the pump out. I basically just unscrewed the cap and attached the pump, then put the cap back on.

I tried to flush the toilet by pushing the pedal down, but the bowl will just fill so I have to let off the pedal. I'm doing this while connected to shore power. Is there a switch that should be on somewhere? I have a 2003 Maxum 2700 SE.

Should the pump come on as soon as you press the pedal? I can have someone near the pump to see if they hear it as a test. It is also equipped with a macerator, but I'm pretty sure that's not legal to use where I'm at.

Thanks for your help.
Jeremy

golfwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 06:58 PM   #2
Lt. Commander

Looking through the manual, I don't see a switch to turn the pump on or off so I'm guessing it's hard wired. I'll try and trace the wires tomorrow. I didn't see one diagram that showed a switch on the pump itself so I'll check there also. May just be clogged. I really don't want mess with that during week one of ownership, haha. Rebuilding it doesn't seem pleasant.

Let me know if you guys have any other insight.

Old 07-26-2019, 07:09 PM   #3
Admiral

A Vac flush has a motor on the holding tank to create the vacuum, do you hear it running? Not sure how it’s switched on.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 07:14 PM   #4
Lt. Commander

I haven't heard it running in the way that I've heard some on youtube today. I don't think I've heard it running at all, but not 100% sure on that yet. I'll have a friend out with me tomorrow to do more testing. I think I now have a little more to go on at least.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:51 PM   #5
Admiral

On my '04 2500SE there is no switch to activate the vacuum pump. It comes on and cycles when i turn on the battery switch. It's a pretty obvious pulsating sound. It pumps 8-10 times and then stops until flushed and then it cycles again. I'm not on my boat and can't remember if there is a fuse but assume there is.

Nice of the PO to sell you a boat full of crap. I bet he knew there was an issue with the pump.
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 10:50 PM   #6
Lt. Commander

I can only hope it's a fuse issue. I forgot my meter yesterday so I haven't dug into the issue yet. I'm pretty sure the pump is not coming on at all. I'm assuming it should have voltage at all times so I'll start there. I'm hoping it's not the motor since they appear to be pretty pricey. Can anyone offer any input on how often the wearable parts need to be replaced. Just curious if I should do a full rebuild.

Just a note, I know that the toilet itself is not clogged. It could be clogged somewhere else down the line though.
Old 07-29-2019, 02:08 PM   #7

Lift up foot pedal to fill with water. Push down the foot pedal to open the ballcock. You should hear the "Whoosh" and then hear the pump re-pressurize after flushing. There should be a little water going back in after a flush as well.

You could have a clog, tricking the pressure pump to think there is pressure in the line even when you open the ballcock. Or the pump isn't getting 12V.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 02:28 PM   #8
Lt. Commander

Thanks. I'm going to try and get out there today or tomorrow to test. For anyone coming across this thread, here are the steps I'm going to check after finding a VacuFlush troubleshooting manual.

a. Check input power, circuit breaker and fuse.
b. Tighten or reconnect wires at vacuum pump and tank, vacuum generator, or vacuum holding tank.
c. Make certain wires at vacuum switch are connected to the “B” terminals.
d. To check vacuum switch, short across “B” terminals with jumper wire.
Old 07-30-2019, 01:19 AM   #9
Lt. Commander

Okay, so I made a lot out of nothing. When I bought the boat the owner was showed me a toggle switch that they called the macerator to help when the tank was full. In my head, I thought, yeah your pumping it outside of the boat which as far as I know is not legal. Anyway, this whole time, I thought that toggle switch behind the VacuFlush was the macerator switch. Nope..it's an switch to turn the VF pump on or off. I don't think that it's factory is it? I assumed that it was installed to turn it off when the boat was not in use.

Needless to say, when I flipped the switch I could see the pump turn on using my phone taking video. It works and creates enough vacuum to turn off on it's own. I haven't test to see if the vacuum holds yet. Maybe this weekend.

One thing...I don't get any water when lifting the pedal up. Only during and I think a little after a flush.

Today was a good day with a fix with no money spent. Have a good evening!
Jeremy
Old 07-30-2019, 01:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfwins View Post
Okay, so I made a lot out of nothing. When I bought the boat the owner was showed me a toggle switch that they called the macerator to help when the tank was full. In my head, I thought, yeah your pumping it outside of the boat which as far as I know is not legal. Anyway, this whole time, I thought that toggle switch behind the VacuFlush was the macerator switch. Nope..it's an switch to turn the VF pump on or off. I don't think that it's factory is it? I assumed that it was installed to turn it off when the boat was not in use.

Needless to say, when I flipped the switch I could see the pump turn on using my phone taking video. It works and creates enough vacuum to turn off on it's own. I haven't test to see if the vacuum holds yet. Maybe this weekend.

One thing...I don't get any water when lifting the pedal up. Only during and I think a little after a flush.

Today was a good day with a fix with no money spent. Have a good evening!
Jeremy
I would expect there to be a shutoff for the pump. I commonly see them in the head somewhere.

The vacuflush commonly use freshwater. You might need to trace the water inlet to the toilet back. There might be a shutoff.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 03:03 PM   #11
Admiral

If you have a macerator there will be 2 switches at the helm near the throttle and a valve at the transom.

If located anywhere in the USA it is not legal to discharge waste and the valve must remain closed.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:25 PM   #12
Lt. Commander

I found the macerator switches. I kind of thought they were dummy switches because they don't appear to move. I didn't press too hard though. Either way, I won't ever use it so I'm not concerned with it. I appreciate you guys helping me learn my "new to me" boat.

Old 07-30-2019, 05:16 PM   #13
Admiral

You would have to hold both switches at the same time to activate it. That is to prevent accidental discharge.