Old 08-05-2009, 05:28 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Newbie question....need opinion on boat

Hello. I am looking at a 1999 Maxum 1800 XR that was offered to me for what I believe is a decent price.

Details:

1999 Maxum 1800 XR
125HP Merc Outboard
New water pump and plugs this season.
New bottom paint
Trailer
Mooring Cover
Camper Top
2 Props (no details on this yet)
Anchor, Flares, 7 Life Jackets, ropes, etc
New Bilge pump
AM/FM/CAS Radio
Slip for remainder of the season ($500 value)

What it does not include is:

VHF Radio
GPS/Fish Finder

The guy is my buddy's next door neighbor. It's in the water now and ready for a test drive and has been professionally maintained every year. He'll take $5000 for it.

Can anyone tell me if this is decent for the price? Also, I can't find any literature on this boat as the Maxum site only goes back to 2000.

WilsonCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:42 PM   #2
Admiral

Default Re: Newbie question....need opinion on boat

well..first off..welcome to the zoo...second...I'd get it surveyed by a certified mechanic...3rdly...5k doesn't sound bad and you can update the radio/cassette for about 150 bucks and add the vhf for 120..fishfinder is pretty cheap..under 200 bucks...I'd definitely jump on it if it's good size and style for you....

SP :hello:

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 02:22 AM   #3
Ensign

I went to see the boat this afternoon, here are some pics:[attachment=2:4kbyedsw]Boat1.jpg[/attachment:4kbyedsw][attachment=1:4kbyedsw]Boat2.jpg[/attachment:4kbyedsw][attachment=0:4kbyedsw]0805091753.jpg[/attachment:4kbyedsw]
Old 08-06-2009, 02:25 AM   #4
Ensign

More:[attachment=2:27j4ao5r]0805091758.jpg[/attachment:27j4ao5r][attachment=1:27j4ao5r]0805091800.jpg[/attachment:27j4ao5r][attachment=0:27j4ao5r]0805091757.jpg[/attachment:27j4ao5r]
Old 08-06-2009, 02:26 AM   #5
Ensign

Last Pics:[attachment=0:xhqm6c05]0805091754.jpg[/attachment:xhqm6c05][attachment=1:xhqm6c05]0805091755.jpg[/attachment:xhqm6c05]
Old 08-06-2009, 02:30 AM   #6
Ensign

I didn't get to take it out for a spin as there was some bad weather in the area. I will be going out this weekend sometime with him.
I think it looks good, needs a little TLC but not too bad for 10 yrs old. I have a marine tech that can give it a look over so I'll probably do that when I am ready to buy.

Any opinions on what you see here?
Old 08-12-2009, 02:19 PM   #7
Ensign

Well, I decided yesterday that I was going to buy the boat. I took a ride on Sunday and had my Father-in-Law who's bought many a used boat look at it. Then I read the little news story here:

http://www.tradeonlytoday.com/home/4992 ... axum-boats

How will this affect the ability to get parts or service for our boats, especially older models?
Old 08-12-2009, 04:41 PM   #8
Admiral

you shouldn't have any problems...maxum builds the hull and then integrates the engines and other systems too it....all those parts are easily gotten on the open market...

good luck with the new boat!!

SP :hello:
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:08 PM   #9
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonCat
Well, I decided yesterday that I was going to buy the boat. I took a ride on Sunday and had my Father-in-Law who's bought many a used boat look at it. Then I read the little news story here:

http://www.tradeonlytoday.com/home/4992 ... axum-boats

How will this affect the ability to get parts or service for our boats, especially older models?
To tack on to seapuppies reply, in recent years I believe the Maxum hulls were coming out of a Bayliner plant anyway. When bought my Maxum, the dealer sold Bayliner, Maxum and Sea Ray (they are all the same company along with a dozen others e.g. Brunswick is the parent company, yes the pool table maker. Brunswick also owns...Mercury Marine) and the only difference were the supplier bolt ons i.e. gauges, cleats, carpets, etc. 90% of whats on any make boat is from third party suppliers. Suppliers that distribute to every West Marine/Overtons etc. So I wouldn't worry about your purchase if you like the boat.

As for the boat itself, from the pics it looks like it was kept well enough. Is it in fresh water or salt? If salt, see if they have records of when they changed the impeller. This needs to be done EVERY YEAR PERIOD. Salt water turns the impeller gaskets into a gel like substance which equals failure on the water which equals mad passengers and tow back to dock.
The only other thing that caught my eye is that the outboard is a 125 which isn't going to set any water speed records and will probably prove not to be much of a 'ski/tube boat. The people I know with the I/O four bangers and the 125hp outboards wish they held out for more power. But if leisurely cruising is what you'll be doing and if it runs good...your call of course. Good luck~!
racer2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:18 PM   #10
Ensign

I figured that most of the stuff was bolt on.

I appreciate the reply, We went for a ride (4 adults) and it seemed peppy enough. Plus, Tube/Ski is not really in my immediate future (2 young kids). Hopefully this boat will be my beginner / learning / intro to owning my own. We'll talk about moving to something a little bigger in a few years. :mrgreen:

Got the check for the loan coming tomorrow so I'm pretty psyched.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:27 AM   #11
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonCat
I figured that most of the stuff was bolt on.

I appreciate the reply, We went for a ride (4 adults) and it seemed peppy enough. Plus, Tube/Ski is not really in my immediate future (2 young kids). Hopefully this boat will be my beginner / learning / intro to owning my own. We'll talk about moving to something a little bigger in a few years. :mrgreen:

Got the check for the loan coming tomorrow so I'm pretty psyched.
Then congrats is in order mate! A boat like that is a perfect boat to learn with. Just remember, safety first. Everything else takes a back seat. There are times when boating can be stressful and new boaters try to push through potential risks because of pressure from A) passengers on board B) other boaters C) ones own pride/ego.

I give a quick airline like safety speech to all new guests on my boat. Down here in FL there are boating accident reports in the paper every day and most are caused by boaters who just take things for granted and just didn't care. Responsible boating...it may save a life. [/preach] I'm sure with 2 young children you will have a built in safety desire.

What water will you boat on?

racer2c is offline   Reply With Quote