Old 08-27-2016, 03:19 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default New to me 99 1800 SRL. Questions?

Hello. Looks like I found a good forum for info regarding maxum boats. This is our 1st boat. I do have boating experience but have never owned my own. If its ok I have a few quesions about my new to me 1999 Maxum 1800 SRL with 3.0 merccruiser. The boat itself has not been used until twice this year for the past 7 years. Its been a little neglected cosmetically but nothing a few days of cleaning and polishing cant fix. Interior is in good shape no fading or tears in any seats. I took it for a 45min test run it was rough to start(took about 1 minute) but once warmed up starting and stopping was instant. It does need a full tune-up I have not worked on a inboard before so Im deciding if I want to start researching how to diy things needed to get it running smooth.
Here is a list of engine maintenance Im thinking is needed.
(ive never done any of this before)
-Carb cleaning
-water impeller
-change filters (not sure if it just has oil filter)
-change fuel lines
-plugs

New alpha leg has only 1 season on it before it sat.
Exterior is very faded but in good shape otherwise so i'm researching what products I need to use with my orbital buffer to get it back shining again

-Where can I find a manual?
-Can i get new or find used snap on covers for bow and cockpit area?
-Bimini top can be generic Im guessing?

Looking forward to getting it ready for the water for our family. Thanks for any help!!

Willy.Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 04:59 PM   #2
Admiral

Welcome aboard

Go to the Document tab for manuals. Not sure you'll find one for the boat but more important is you will find the ones for the engine and drive.

Regarding the canvas find a local shop to make replacements.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 01:18 PM   #3
Captain

Congratulation on your purchase Willy!
Your boat has a fuel filter, and I would change the alternator belt also.
It couldn't hurt to replace your distributor cap and rotor. When changing plugs, be sure that the spark plug tunnel is clean before removing the plugs.
And as long as you're replacing the impeller, you might as well put in new gear oil.
That should keep you busy this weekend.
jrsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 04:20 AM   #4
Lt. JG

So spent the last 2 days cleaning the horrible oxidation and mess of a interior. Interior looks great and exterior just needs a few more coats of wax. Anyways I was under the assumption that it waS the 1800 model as that's how he sold it. I've found all manuals under the seats and serial number shows it as a 1998 1900 SRL.
Couple questions
I've been trying to figure out the bilge pump the switch does nothing with the key off and in the on position. Does it need water?
What does ACCY switch mean? Has wires going to it but does nothing I can hear or see
Broken tach I've inspected wires leading into it the seem fine. Usually mean a bad tach?
Also when starting boat at launch it runs rough and stalls when shifting into gear until it's warmed up. 5 mins. Is this a carb issue or other problem maybe?
Old 08-31-2016, 11:23 AM   #5
Admiral

When testing the bilge pump you need to have the battery switch on then it should operate by turning the helm switch to on, the ignition does not need to be on. You can also test it by lifting the float switch to see if it runs.

ACCY = accessory; these are extra switches for the user to wire things to as needed.

Use a volt meter on AC volts across ground and the sense terminal to see if a voltage is present with the engine running, no voltage the issue is not the tach but the wire from the coil to the gauge.

Carb engines need to warm up but verify the choke is working properly. Closed when cold and slowly open once started.

Mike
Old 08-31-2016, 01:13 PM   #6
Lt. JG

ok ill try the volt meter on the tach

Might be a stupid question but I have not seen a battery switch. I have not looked hard for it but was wondering if there was one since the stereo lights stays on all the time. Any idea where to look?
Old 08-31-2016, 04:11 PM   #7
Admiral

Follow the positive battery cable from the battery it will either go to the switch or directly to the starter, if the latter there is no switch which is not uncommon in small boats.

Mike
Old 08-31-2016, 04:22 PM   #8
Captain

You may be able to fix your tach by cleaning the connections. I had tach problems where I was getting erroneous readings from the gauge. Works great after cleaning the connections and a little dielectric grease.
jrsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:38 PM   #9
Lt. JG

so trying to figure out the bilge. Filled with water and still nothing. I started taking it apart to see if I have to replace. what are the black round things next to it. Ill be getting around to cleaning it all up in there.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:00 PM   #10
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsick View Post
You may be able to fix your tach by cleaning the connections. I had tach problems where I was getting erroneous readings from the gauge. Works great after cleaning the connections and a little dielectric grease.
Sometime rotating the cylinder (4,6,8) selector back and forth fixs it as well.

Mike
Old 08-31-2016, 10:05 PM   #11
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy.Fire View Post

so trying to figure out the bilge. Filled with water and still nothing. I started taking it apart to see if I have to replace. what are the black round things next to it. Ill be getting around to cleaning it all up in there.

I see 2 black pucks in the picture, they are transducer for the depth gauge. I guess one is old and failed.

I do not see the float switch for the bilge pump, typically it's blue. Worst case wire 12 V directly to the pump to see if it runs. Or you can turn on the helm switch and see if 12 V is getting to the pump.

Mike
Old 08-31-2016, 10:38 PM   #12
Lt. JG

I'll try that too. Speedo also doesn't work but the hose has a hole in it right where it comes out from the bottom leg so I'll have to replace that hose. Just degreased the engine bay so going to wait a little to fire it up. Replaced bilge pump and it's working great. I've spent hours on the driveway. I really appreciate the help. Thanks.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:42 PM   #13
Admiral

Glad you are getting things squared away.

Mike
Old 09-01-2016, 01:04 AM   #14
Lt. JG

thanks for the depth finder info. so after just cleaning off the tach terminals it started working but not very well. the needle was sticky and I had to tap it a few times to get to the correct reading. faulty gauge?
Old 09-01-2016, 02:30 AM   #15
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy.Fire View Post
thanks for the depth finder info. so after just cleaning off the tach terminals it started working but not very well. the needle was sticky and I had to tap it a few times to get to the correct reading. faulty gauge?
Yep

Did you try rotating the cylinder selector back and forth a few times?

Mike
Old 09-01-2016, 02:42 AM   #16
lee
Ensign

Welcome aboard! Like you when we found our '92 2100SR, I wanted to correct things AND use the boat for the few weekends we had left that season. (We purchased in late Aug. ) in WI. We did use it but ended up replacing what I thought were "OK" tires on first freeway trip to a larger lake on a Sunday. I learned quickly how ill prepared I was to try to jack up the road (drivers) side of the trailer to replace a flat. Be sure to have a good jack that will lift the axle easily. Over the 6 seasons we've owned I have rebuilt the surge brake system, replaced the leaking hitch coupler, done the plugs and wires, rotor and cap. (Have new parts in hand and be prepared for a rusted on rotor) I ended up having to cut old rotor off shaft cautiously with a cutting wheel. I have replaced the fuel filter. That was a search as Mercury did a retro fit on the 4.3L model to change to a spin-off rather than in-line. My local dealer helped me with a nation-wide search for the $43.00 in-line filter, rather than do the $120.00 Merc kit plus a $10.00 spin-off filter. My thought was that lasted 18-22 years I didn't need the $120 retro kit now. I have also just last year replaced the floor carpet. You can find a lot on line.
Happy Boating
Lee
lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 02:53 AM   #17
lee
Ensign

Smart to do the driveway work in the driveway, there's always those rare things that happen last minute, but you don't want to be doing those driveway/garage items at the launch! We tend to frequent lakes with smooth flowing launch areas one is a single lane, private launch at a restaurant another fav. lake has 1-3 attendants at a large 4 lane launch, aside from the fee, I typically tip those attendants because they sure make the day much more pleasant! They sure keep things in line!
Lee
Old 09-01-2016, 03:24 AM   #18
Lt. JG

Sounds like you have spent a lot of time with your boat Lee. It's good to hear stories like that. The launches here are busy on the weekends and where we spend a month every summer they are busy all day long. I'm not rushing to the lake but the kids keep asking why we just get to boat on the driveway everyday so I'm planing a trip out Friday. (:
I'll play around with the tach a few more times but likely look at replacing. I'm guessing Maxum tachs are not available anymore unless used?
Old 09-01-2016, 04:07 AM   #19
lee
Ensign

Default Used or like new parts

I find a lot of trailer parts on line at Pacifictrailers.com
Locally in S.E. Wisconsin there is a surplus boat supply house called Kendor Marine. They also sell on-line. You might look there. They have new or slightly used and /or surplus stock. I picked up a like new prop there, it was perfect. They have a huge selection and variety of items from trailer to engine, to toilet, to rope, anything boats! Bimini tops. Also seating. You might try them for tachs.