Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-07-2014, 03:53 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default New to forum, new to boating, 1st boat- Maxum 2100SC!!!

Hi, my name is Tim and I grew up racing motocross on ATVs and later got into desert racing/riding and heavy into mountain bikes. My latest injury was a rotator cuff tear that has my shoulder messed up pretty bad so I have to put my love for the dirt and anything off road on the backburner, I'm 42 now and simply don't bounce off the ground like I used to!

I live in Southern California and have always wanted a boat. My search was pretty intense and I must have logged 1,000 miles on my truck in search of the boat for me, hated the drives back home after viewing a boat that simply wasn't as advertised, one guy even gave me $20 for gas! Hahaha... I had my budget set and finally stumbled across this 2000 Maxum 2100 bow rider that was just brought from Kansas to Ca. The seller was pretty desperate to sell, original listing was 10k, he had a lot of low ball offers coming in and when I went to take a look I brought cash and after pointing out a few minor flaws I was pulling it home after handing him $7,500! I bought the boat with the local lakes in mind but I live 10 minutes from a launch ramp in Long Beach Ca. so my first 2 outings have been in the ocean, THIS BOAT KICKS ASS!!!
The interior is in almost like new condition with the only minor flaw on the drivers seat from driving with a knee on the seat I believe!? Kick ass sound system with 4 speakers a sub woofer and amp. The boat stayed covered its entire life and it literally ate me alive when I was checking out other boats and a simple cover would have made a world of difference! I know the salt water is brutal and the cleaning/maintenance will be intense but how could I resist, too many nice restaurants/bars to not hit the marina!

Trailer- tandem, bearings brakes being serviced
Engine- 5.0L starts right up, oil will be changed soon with a new fuel filter. Prop is beat and will soon be replaced.
Gauges- speedo not working, trim gauge stopped working after 1st outing. (help)
Exterior- needs good polishing but not bad, some of the rubber was coming out of track but a few small flat screwdrivers fixed that!

Any suggestions on keeping this thing in good shape would be greatly appreciated!
I will leave this here in case any lurkers with the same boat want a good read!http://www.seamag.com/Archive/Day-Runner

SoCalMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 03:56 PM   #2
Lt. JG

Old 10-07-2014, 05:45 PM   #3
Captain

Congrats!

You've already touched on most of the really important things. Wax, and a cover go a long way towards preserving a boat. Vinyl cleaner with a uv inhibitor goes a long way protecting your upholstery.

As far as trim gauge, check for loose wires from the dash on back. If its not that, you'll probably just want to live without it for a while. (drive has to come off to fix it). Speedo is most likely a kinked or disconnected pick up tube. Others with more knowledge of your model can probably give more specifics on where it it routed.

Get a motor flusher and use it every time you pull it out of the salt water.

Have fun!
Kevlar7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:57 PM   #4
Lieutenant

Step 1: Google "303 protectant"
Step 2: Buy some. USE EET.
Step 3: Thank me later.
ertyqway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:01 PM   #5
Lt. JG

Cool thanks! I will look into the de salting additive! Wheel bearings were thrashed, are the bearing buddies worth it?
Old 10-07-2014, 08:05 PM   #6
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ertyqway View Post
I will do just that! Is there only one type or do I need something for each canvas tops, vinyl interior & gel coat?
This the stuff?

EDIT:
Just found more info and ordered the "new formula" gallon!
Old 10-07-2014, 10:29 PM   #7
Captain

Bearing buddies are great, but all they really do is provide pressurized grease for when you dunk the trailer in water. When you put a hot hub in the water, it cools very quickly. Without bearing buddies, they could suck in water as they cool. They don't do anything else to protect bearings. (but keeping water out is a pretty big deal)
Old 10-07-2014, 10:30 PM   #8
Captain

Also, since you're new, I'll mention an obvious. Always always always always run your blower for 4+minutes before you start your engine!
Old 10-07-2014, 10:41 PM   #9
Lt. JG

Cool, will order the bearing buddies. When you say run the blowers, that is after the engine has been running and I shut it down for a while or even at 1st start up?
Old 10-07-2014, 11:26 PM   #10
Admiral

Run the blower before starting the engine every time.
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 11:31 PM   #11
Lt. JG

Ok will do, just thought there would only be build up after the motor had been running a while is all...

Looks like I have to buy the 303 high tech fabric guard as well. I don't think the regular 303 covers fabric & the snap on tops and bimini are in great shape, would hate for them to go bad!
Old 10-08-2014, 01:17 AM   #12
Captain

The most dangerous time is when starting the engine. If fuel has leaked into the bilge, it will evaporate until the air in the bilge is fully saturated with fuel vapor... Which is highly explosive.

The starter solenoid closing produces a spark, every time.

Even a pinhole leak in a fuel line could cost you your life.

I open the engine hatch and sniff before I start the engines.

On a similar thread... Never put automotive parts on your engine. Only use marine parts.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:28 AM   #13
Lt. JG

Ok thanks. Just had the fuel filter replaced and vapor is pretty damn strong in there so I see the importance! Will put that down at the top of the pre-check list right up there with installing the drain plug!
Old 10-08-2014, 01:56 AM   #14
Captain

Oh, another tip, join BoatUS for unlimited towing. Your boat will break someday... That's just boats. That unlimited towing is the cheapest insurance you can ever own!
Old 10-08-2014, 11:30 PM   #15
Admiral

Tim welcome seems like Kev has given you all the pointers needed

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 02:45 AM   #16
Lt. JG

Thanks. Yes, been super helpful!

From today, Long Beach!
Old 10-11-2014, 05:50 PM   #17
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ertyqway View Post
Found gallon size on Ebay for ~$50 shipped. Man this tuff seems amazing! Protection aside, (biggest benefit I know) the application on the exterior was simple AND my boat looks brand new! I am amazed at how much it brings out the color! I will get the interior when I get back from the Bahamas in a few weeks.

Question, the directions say it is not for canvas tops, is that them simply trying to push the canvas top product? I got some overspray on the top and it seems fine. Anyone use this on canvas with success?
Old 10-11-2014, 06:38 PM   #18
Admiral

SoCal... I just got done doing all my canvas tops. I bought my gallon container at a Bass Pro Shop and it was their brand . I made sure the canvas was clean and dry and then I filled up a hand pump sprayer bottle to apply ( an empty Windex bottle will work). A gallon was enough to get the jet ski cover, the boat cockpit cover and Bimini top all done . All turned out good.

If you need to clean your canvas I have used baby shampoo with great results. Its gentle.

Good luck
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 07:25 PM   #19
Lt. JG

Thanks on the baby shampoo tip, I def would like to clean them before I protect them as to not lock in a bunch of dirt. My question really is if this 303 protectant will be fine on the canvas? They now offer a canvas top protector but I am hoping to use what I have with success.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:25 AM   #20
Admiral

Yes you can. 303 is just one of the different brands out there that offer the waterproofing. Starbrite with ptef is another. Again I had a BPS in my area and there own brand is made by Starbrite for Bass PS and that is where I bought mine.

biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote