Old 07-22-2011, 04:48 PM   #1
Ensign

Default New Owner-Several Questions

Thank you for the welcome. I purchased my '99 Maxum 3300 scr in January, 2011. The previous owner took immaculate care of the boat and it is showdock condition. It has weaver davits but doesn't have a dinghy. I'd like to purchase a rib inflatable but am not sure of the optimum size. My guess is about 10' but love any advise. The boat is moored in Lake Union until my Yacht club has an opening and I'll be taking it into the sound through the locks for the first time next weekend. I'm also interested in thoughts on the best salt water cruising speed in chop, typical gas consuption (twin 5 liter Mercs) and since most of my boating experience has been in sailboats with the exception on numerous charters on 40' motoryachts, would like to hear any advice for a newbie in express cruising. I still don't think I've master the outdrive pitch or rpm for optimum planning. With less than 20 hours so far, I've have a ways to go before think I've found my comfort zone...We have not yet had summer and spring was absent in the Northwest this year. Any and all advice will be appreciated...thanks all. Tom

Tom Sante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:16 PM   #2

Tom, I moved your post in the welcome thread to it's own thread. I've also sent a PM so you are aware to watch for it. As for the size and type of inflatable, that will, by and large come down to three factors.

1) What you intend to do with the rib.

2) How much weght (people and cargo) you will typically be carrying.

3) What size and type of inflatable will fit on the existing davits.

A rib will weigh much more than an inflatable with a hard floor, which will weigh more than one with an air floor. One of the first things i'd be concerned with is how much the dinghy weighs and how much do I want to haul around on my swim platform. Weight that far back in the boat is less than ideal and can lead to slowness getting up on plane and more tab necessary to bring the bow down into waves. This could translate to an increase in fuel consumption.

I'd try to balance out the needs with the ups/downs. There is only two of us, with the occassional guest. An 8'6" works well for us. I have a roll-up now. I'm considering replacing with an airfloor in the future.

I don't typically look at 'best cruise speed' because it will vary greatly depending on wind, tide, current and conditions. I'd concentrate more on a balance between RPM's and conditions. The boat will tell you if you're running too hard for the conditions. playing with trim will account for much, but at some point, if your'e still pounding away, then slowing speed will have to come into play.

For example, last weekend, I ran out at 3,600 RPM and averaged 25.5 kts. There was no wind and the seas were flat. On the ride back I ran at 3,800 rpms and averaged 22.5 kts. The ride back I was going against a surging tide, wind and into a head sea. You could see the tides pushing markers and creating an eddy on their leeward side. So, using speed at a measure is rarely appropriate. Instead, once on plane, adjust trim accordingly, then use RPM's and handling to dictate what is prudent for operation. At that point, actual speed becomes more of a curiosity.

The idea behind the outdrive trim is you want the drive to be verticle. As the bow rises, you will need to trim out account for the change in running angle (attitude). As you trim the tabs down to bring the bow into waves, you may find that you need to trim the drives in too. If the drive trim is too far in, you will plow more. If the drive trim it too far out, you will notice a 'porpoising' affect as the bow bounces too much. (What is too much?). You will also hear the drive cavitate if the drive is trimmed out to far for operation. A common method is to click the drive trim up one click at time and wath the RPMS increase. If they decrease or stop increasing, then you haave gone too far. It is more of an art than a science, and difficult to descrive in writting.

Welcome to the site. I hope this was helpful. If not, then I hope someone can provide additional insight and clarification.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:32 PM   #3
Ensign

Thank you for the quick response. We have a couple of dogs and would like to do some crabbing as well so would like something safe and comfortable for my wife and I to take the dogs ashore for walks when on the hook as well as ferry friends so my guess would be somewhere around 700lbs. I'm already a little heavy in the stern because I've added two new batteries and an inverter. no generator. Max speed so far was about 33kts on a calm lake.
Your advise is helpful. My wife has been suggesting the rib but may go with an inflatable keel for a year to see if she's happy with that. I would expect that I will add the Deaver connections to match the existing connections on the swim step. I'll add pictures as soon as I figure out how to do that.
Thank you again.

Tom
Old 07-22-2011, 05:38 PM   #4

Dogs would be better off with a solid floor, whether that is a hard floor with an inflatable keel, or a RIB. Something in the 9-10 ft (and change) range sounds like it would fit your bill). A rib would handle better in rough water at speeds. It would depend on how fast you would be running and in how rough of a condition.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:04 PM   #5
Admiral

Welcome to the zoo tom...I'm right up the road from you in Everett...we own a 35ft bayliner ....been steaming the sound for about 12 yrs now...

which engine and drives do you have???....cuz that's gonna tell you where you are going to cruise at for best possible speed and fuel consumption...first off....fuel economy and power boating should never be used in the same sentence....it's just an oxymoron to me....but...you can get best consumption by finding the sweet spot of the boat....for me..I run about 3800 rpm at about 30-32mph depending on water conditions....flat calm is the best as you can guess....so...getting up on plane may require different tricks...ie drives down....tabs down...hit the throttle...bring the tabs up until your up and running and level....then bump the drives up until you feel it free up and the boat takes off and increases rpm by a couple of hundred rpms..then adjust to the speed you want....
with chop....get up on plane....put the drives all the way down and then bump up...may have to keep the bow down to plow thru the chop....you may need to use the tabs to put the bow further down to plow thru the chop.....

what marina are you moving the boat too??....we're dried stored at dagmars landing...great place to keep the boat and they have great service ....

need any help ...let me know...be happy to help out...

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:13 PM   #6
Ensign

Great input. understand about the fuel consumption. My guess is that we chew through about 30 gal per hour above cruising speed. Appreciate the input. We are at Boatworld now on Westlake and will move to Maydenbauer Bay Yacht Club moorage when a slip becomes available. We have 5.0 Merc Cruisers for power with outdrives, not sure of the spec.
Thanks.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:52 PM   #7
Admiral

Tom
with 5.0's and probably b2 drives....your probably looking on plane at a cruise speed of about 28mph....about 21-25gals/hr.......depending on winds/tide/water condition......I cruise at about 30-32 mph and burn between 19-21gph......depending on water/winds/tide......of course I have the b3 drives and 350mpi engines.....

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote