Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-27-2010, 08:33 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default new member 1997 maxum, decals and other ?

Hi there, i got my maxum 1700 or 1750 a month or so ago over here in the UK. It has the 3L Mercruiser and now i have machine polished it it seems in good condition. I have a few questions that you may be able to answer;

When i 1st took it out i lowered the leg onto the concrete slipway, the trim then stopped working when i was out as i could not lower it fully, checked the phuses and they were fine, tried the tilt swith again and all worked fine Any idea what may have caused this?

2nd question is im looking for a good step by step guide to winterisation and an oil change, are there any about?

3rd question and probably my main one, the decals are shot and need replacing, the GL Skipper has most of what i need, but not the main one at the bottom of the boat. Do any of you have a different design for the white and burgandy boat? The plastic lettering that says MAXUM is also failing, i think i may be able to repaint the inside of that?

Pinstripe i cant find

Can find these
cant show them (too many images)

cant find the single white

can find these
Now if any of you have the same colour boat and have changed the stripes i am more than interested in what you chose and where you got them, as long as my boat looks mint and the colours match im happy, im very much into the detailing and things need to be right

Thanks for your time

Warpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:59 PM   #2
Admiral

welcome to the zoo...first off ...if you need to check all the connections..the switch in the throttle quadrant is the usual culprit.....sometimes a good shot of wd40 will fix it ....

oil is easy in a boat....if you know how to do it....but it can get messy if your not following procedures...
so...first thing to do is check at the transom plug and see if there is a hose that attaches to the plug...if not ..then you need to get an Oilbouy....or some sort of oil pumping system....the cool thing about the oilbouy is you insert the tube down into the dipstick tube....start pumping....when you hear it suck air...done....of course this is with warmed up oil....
then remove the oil filter and replace with fresh...be sure to rub fresh oil around the gasket or you may end up hiring a sumo wrestler to get it off......use those oil absorbers to catch any stray oil that WILL...repeat WILL leak all over the place...refill the crankcase with fresh oil....run a few seconds on muffs...done...
winterization is a bit more complicated as you need to somehow get antifreeze into the crank case...most shops have a huge tub of antifreeze they stick the drive into and start the engine until it warms up...then the engine is protected....plus the do what is called Fog the engine...basically while it's running....spray a fogging media into the carb until the engine almost dies..then they kill the engine...done....spray outside of engine with protectant and done....

as for stripes...I'm going to let one of the other guys answer that one...

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:48 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

Thanks for the reply. Im going to do a full service as well i think

Does my shopping list and method look about right?

Can you just check that im on the right lines. For a mercruiser 3.0

Shopping list;
Fuel stablaiser
Quick Silver 4 cycle SAE 40
oil drain pump
Oil filter
Quick Silver engine oil suppliment
Fogging oil
Some greese for the prop and other bits and bobs
Quick Silver perfect seal for tightening all the nuts back up.

Flush engine through with fresh water for 20 mins
Drain oil and fit new filter and oil
restart engine and allow to warm up, check oil level
Remove air filter and spray fogging oil into carb untill engine stalls
Replace air filter
Loosen belts, oil pullys
drain fresh water
Remove prop and greese

No this part im stuck on

Drain the lube from the leg, check for water (how?) check impeller, refill with new lube.

Engine now serviced, safe over winter and almost ready to fire up in the spring.
Warpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:34 PM   #4
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpa1 View Post
Thanks for the reply. Im going to do a full service as well i think

Does my shopping list and method look about right?

Can you just check that im on the right lines. For a mercruiser 3.0

Shopping list;
Fuel stablaiser
Quick Silver 4 cycle SAE 40
oil drain pump
Oil filter
Quick Silver engine oil suppliment (Really not needed)
Fogging oil
Some greese for the prop and other bits and bobs
Quick Silver perfect seal for tightening all the nuts back up.

Flush engine through with fresh water for 20 mins (until engine is warm up to operating temp)
Drain oil and fit new filter and oil
restart engine and allow to warm up, check oil level (just start engine up and let idle for a few min.)
Remove air filter and spray fogging oil into carb untill engine stalls (or until it starts to stall and then just shut the engine down)
Replace air filter
Loosen belts, oil pullys (not needed but ok)
drain fresh water
Remove prop and greese

No this part im stuck on

Drain the lube from the leg, check for water (how?) (there are 2 plugs in the leg. 1)at the bottom of the bullet looking thing and one at the top)
check impeller, refill with new lube. (pump it up from the bottom of the leg until you see it dribble from the upper hole..close plug at top...give it about 5 more shots with the pump)

Engine now serviced, safe over winter and almost ready to fire up in the spring.
(pretty much....might want to pump some RV antifreeze (aka pink stuff) thru the water system)
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote