Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-22-2008, 09:08 PM   #1
Ensign

Default New Maxum Owner

Hello Fellow Maxum Owners!

I just bought a 91 2300 SCR that didn't come with a owners manual. I have combed through several of the topics in the forum and what a great place to get advice!!

I'm hoping someone can help me out here??

I've contacted Ken with US Marine, and what a great help he's been, but I still need some help. My boat seems to be hot wired!!! Meaning, after I turn the battery switch box to off, all my accessories continue to work??? I recently installed a battery charger (boat didn't have one) but understand that to be only good when tied to shore power. My question is...where can I find a wiring diagram for this boat. Ken sent me the manual, but the schematic wiring diagram is to complicated. Thier seems to be about 6 or 7 red wires attached to the deep cycle battery and 2 red and one yellow wire attached to the crank battery...is this normal??? If not, I'm not sure where these wires get attached too??? I don't see anywhere in the engine compartment that these wires would go to, if not the battery.

Since reading topics in this forum I've been able to understand how a lot of things work on this boat without having to have a manual. I've ordered new skins for my boat, I'm eager to see if I can get my depth finder to work and my speedo to work after reading this forum.

Look forward to the responses I might get.

Thanks,

Mac :wink:

macfranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:22 PM   #2
Admiral

mac..welcome to the zoo...where are you located....??...someone maybe able to stop by and lend a hand if your local to me or another member......

in the mean time .....the charger should be hooked to the batt;s...there should be a batt. switch where the main circuit goes directly too so that you can shut the entire 12vdc system down.....big red switch...other things like bilge pumps are wired directly to the batt's....so...not sure what else I can help with just yet but will try and find a wiring diag.....

hang tight..someone will help out I think....

SP..

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 12:28 AM   #3
Ensign

Thanks Seapup!

I can always take a pic if that would help?

I'm truly learning a lot about my Maxum just through the forum.

BTW - Do you happen to know what this black switch is for under the steering wheel helm??? Just discovered it today while looking at the fuse panel. Was able to get my speedo working, but need a new part. It's the white plastic piece that screws into the outdrive that the hose hooks up to.

Thanks!
Old 08-24-2008, 02:41 AM   #4
Admiral

can you give me a hint on what the switch says or what kind of switch it is..toggle....lever...??..breaker??...if it's under the helm..do you have an anchor windlass??..might be a dc breaker...

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:28 AM   #5
Lt. Commander

Send a message via MSN to Brit Rider

Do all the electrics keep working even after you've switched off your isolators?
Old 08-24-2008, 12:09 PM   #6
Ensign

SP,

It's your typical switch. It's black and sticks out about a quarter inch. I don't have an electric windlass, but I can tell the boat was called "Electric Mayhiem". :roll: Now I know why! :wink:

Brit Rider,

Thanks for joining in! You too have been very helpful as I've read some of your discussions with other boaters!

Just the radio and the Marine radio stay on...I think? :? I'll be taking her out again today and will get back with you.

Thanks,

Mac
Old 08-24-2008, 02:08 PM   #7
Lt. Commander

Send a message via MSN to Brit Rider

Sounds like over the years as electronics have been changed and updated that they've not bee wired down their original route.

The Radio could do with being after the isolator or it'll try and drain the battery if left sitting.

Best thing to do is go through each electronic item, follow its wiring and see where it leads, this will be fairly easy if its new wiring rather than factory original.. Where ever it leads to check it is either on the isolator or the battery. Most things will want to be on the isolator but certain feeds need to be on the battery....

its going to be a pain to sort I'm afraid but not exactly urgent.. could wait til winter without too much bother I'd have thought.