Old 07-01-2012, 02:53 AM   #1
Ensign

Default New guy with a "new to me" Maxum 1800 XR

Hello All!!! Like the title sais I purchased a "new to me" 1995 Maxum 1800 XR for $350 w/ a great bunk trailer. The Mercury 115 stuck the #2 piston.

After 8 years of running a 1967 Traveler Saturn 18' Runabout with a 1994 Tohatsu 90hp on it, my wife and I decided it was time for an upgrade. I don't like to borrow money for toys, or make payments on one, so we looked for another fixer upper. The Saturn will be for sale next spring, that Tohatsu engine has less than 100 hours on a completely new powerhead. Almost stuck it on the back of the new Maxum but decided it may be underpowered and went with the Merc. Time will tell if this was the right move.

Anyhow, two days after the purchase my wife called me to get a hold of a Craigs List add for a Mariner 115 (same engine as the Merc, just badged Mariner) rebuild in progress, lost interest etc. Turns out a shop bored out 4 cylinders, installed new pistons , rings and all new bearings. Just needed to finish assembly, and came with everything else, lower unit , trim n tilt system, stack and cowling. Lots of spare parts for $1000. Sold!

Well after spending another $500 in parts I have $1850 into this boat and it started up for the first time last weekend. The power head is nice and quiet, no funny noises, Woo Hoo!

Just needs to be Synk and Linked before we wet the bottom for some brake-in time. Until then (Yup I know it's July 1st Tomorrow) I'm getting the electrical systems straightened out and installing my gear from the Runabout. She still needs cosmetic work, shampooing the inside and a good buff and wax on the outside but I'm pretty happy with her so far. Being left to the elements for a few years has left her with some big stain issues but all in good time!

I went and registered her and had the ID numbers made up along with a new name "ThreeMS". Myself, my wife and my oldest daughter's name begin with "M" and my youngest name begins with "S".

A few things about me, I'm into just about anything with an engine, be it gas diesel, doesn't matter, cars, trucks, trains , boats, tractors etc. I'm also a Moderator on a Tractor Forum, which shall remain nameless, so I kinda know my way around these forums. They are great resources for sure and the volunteers that keep them clean and civil put in lots of hours behind the scenes, so thanks Mod Staff and look forward to chatting with you folks! Take care....

I'll post pictures later, gonna hit the rack....

ThreeMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:01 PM   #2
Ensign

Welcome aboard! Would like to see the pics when you get time. Thanks and Good Luck
dymd3z is offline   Reply With Quote