Old 02-17-2022, 06:57 AM   #1
Ensign

Default New fuel tank

So i managed to remove my fuel tank today from my 89 xr. Found the holes where it was leaking and i have a few questions. I know it an old tank but would it be ok to just patch the hole and reinstall it? you can see the corrosion in the pictures as to where the holes are. Has anyone replaced their fuel tank with a plastic one, if so where did you get one from? Also has anyone moved their fuel tank to a different location on the boat? So all the weight isn't at the back? Im also located in australia if that makes any difference to obtaining parts. Keen to know peoples thoughts and ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Fuel tank 1.jpg   Fuel tank 2.jpg  

Stower93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 11:34 AM   #2
Admiral

I have heard of some folks repairing the tank but this can be tricky as it still has gas fumes in it. Personally I would install a new one due to all the work involved to pull it. There is beginnings of corrosion all over the tank just waiting to fail. Regarding relocating the tank you may be able to shift it forward so but going to far forward can really throw the weight distribution off, I would leave it where it’s at. Many newer boats have plastic tanks so no issue with that.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote