Old 12-23-2007, 10:07 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default New Boater New Member

Hello All!!

Just put a deposit on my very first boat, a 2000 Maxum 2700SCR with less than 120 hrs. Boat has the 7.4L with bravo 3 outdrives. Looks almost new as previous owner kept her on a covered lift. I've never been into boating but it seems as if it would be a terrific hobby for the family. I have 3 kids ages 5, 11, and 14. I'm hoping this will become the center of our recreational actvities. We live in Naples FL (another reason boating seemed the perfect pastime).
We are arranging financing and I hope to have the boat surveyed this week. If all goes as planned we will be putting around Naples and Ft. Myers next weekend.
I would appreciate any and all advice. If there is anything in particular I should look out for in purchasing this boat, please let me know. I am the first to admit that I am quite ignorant about watercraft and have much to learn but we all have to start somewhere.
Thanks Much
Matt :P :P

Matangolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 02:46 AM   #2
Commander

A 2700SCR as a first boat? Like, your very first boat?

Cool.

Take a coarse.

racer2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 06:18 AM   #3
Admiral

Matt
welcome to the zoo....I have the 2003 model yr 2700SCR...great boat to have...awesome room and capabilites...we boat up in the puget sound and have a great time ...we've been all the way into canada with it...outstanding boat...

so you want a few pointers...first off...you and your family should take a boat safety course...make sure that there are plenty of life preservers....and they are worn...make sure you have adequate first aid and know how to apply it from a kit...a good safety kit also...all coast guard approved ......and for the boat....1st off with the boat...never approach the dock faster than your willing to bounce off....if you have too..bump the throttle in and out of gear to stay slow ...make sure you maintain the zinc's on the outdrive.....if you don't, the salt water and electrolysis will eat the drive up in no time...so ..don't let the zinc's go below 50%........finally make sure the hull is in good shape too..no water intrusion into the fiberglass........use a plastic tipped hammer to tap the hull listening to the sound..if you have water into the stringers or the hill..it can be expensive to fix.....
also learn to use properly the VHF radio....it's not a friggin cb radio and there aren't any good buddies out there on the vhf frequencies...
last but not least.....get a decent gps that ties into the vhf radio for emergencies....this requires a mssn number registry...very easy to get from the BOATUS site..........

this is a good boat that will take you and your family to alot of places....

hope some of this helps..I also hope others will chime in and offer thier advice too.....feel free to ask away here....

Steve
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 09:52 AM   #4
Ensign

Hi Matt,
I too am itching to get my first boat, we have a test drive hopefully early in the New Year in a pre-owned Maxum 1900 berthed in Spain. My wife and I did our Level 2 powerboat course out there last summer and really learned a huge amount about control of the boat, safety and good practise so I would recommend doing a course before you go out.

Can you tell me what paperwork I would expect to see regarding ownership of the boat? do they have a registration document like you get with a car that is passed to the new owner?

Have fun, do the course!

Simon
Old 12-24-2007, 09:56 AM   #5
Lt. JG

Yes this is my very first boat. I know it is probably overkill but I wanted something that would accomadate my entire family for a weekend.
I have taken the Coast Guard online class already and plan to continue educating myself through other local beginning and more advanced classes as time permits.
One thing I will NOT do is put my family in danger. We are all going down to West Marine together to be fitted for high quality life jackets before we put one foot on the boat. I will also purchase one of the personal locating devices. I'm also scanning ebay for a good offshore 6 person life raft. Expensive and once again probably overkill but I take full responsibility for my family's safety and will not comprimise.
The boat has VHF and newer GPS chartplotting capabilities as well as a new fishfinder. I am aware of the registration process you referred to and will do this upon delivery.
As far as the radio goes, I'm old enough to remember the CB craze of the early seventies. I didn't get it then either. The last thing I want to do is carry on a meaningless conversation with some yahoo I've never met .
Thanks so much for your reply and as I develop questions you can expect to see them posted here.
Old 12-24-2007, 02:45 PM   #6
Commander

Matangolas / millsy,

Welcome to the forum and best of luck with your vessels. Please post some picures when you have time.

MMSI# 338052622
tglee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 04:15 PM   #7
Lt. Commander

Default Re: New Boater New Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matangolas
Hello All!!

Just put a deposit on my very first boat, a 2000 Maxum 2700SCR with less than 120 hrs. Boat has the 7.4L with bravo 3 outdrives. Matt :P :P
Good Xmas present for yourself.

I would suggest you get a boat handlers course .. I am in the UK,. and here the courses are RYA Powerboat and Powerboat level 2, the latter than give you the International Certificate of Competence ...

Taking whatever the US course is that will gain you an ICC (or equivalent) is a very worthwhile investment.
Especially as you haven't cut your teeth learning on a 14' or similar.

A 2700 with a large engine is more than capable of getting you into trouble, and large repair bills ... time spent on a 2 day handling course would be money well spent. (and enjoyable)
The theory course you are doing is not a bad thing, but practical handling in open water is what will be most benefit.

Welcome to a hobby that will give you loads of enjoyment, and a drain on your wallet for life.
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 06:01 PM   #8
Commander

Default Re: New Boater New Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by osprey
Quote:
Hello All!!

Just put a deposit on my very first boat, a 2000 Maxum 2700SCR with less than 120 hrs. Boat has the 7.4L with bravo 3 outdrives. Matt :P :P
Good Xmas present for yourself.

I would suggest you get a boat handlers course .. I am in the UK,. and here the courses are RYA Powerboat and Powerboat level 2, the latter than give you the International Certificate of Competence ...

Taking whatever the US course is that will gain you an ICC (or equivalent) is a very worthwhile investment.
Especially as you haven't cut your teeth learning on a 14' or similar.

A 2700 with a large engine is more than capable of getting you into trouble, and large repair bills ... time spent on a 2 day handling course would be money well spent. (and enjoyable)
The theory course you are doing is not a bad thing, but practical handling in open water is what will be most benefit.

Welcome to a hobby that will give you loads of enjoyment, and a drain on your wallet for life.
Good advice, although my lil' boat is ALOT less money than our horses used to be.

Watch those pesky docks. They bite!
Old 12-24-2007, 09:40 PM   #9
Lt. JG

Default I'm Back SURVEY!!

Thanks again for the responses. All advice is appreciated.
Now the fun part. Today I scheduled the survey. As I stated previously I am a new boater and am not well educated YET!! Soooo I went ahead and comitted to spending another 400 to make sure the vessel is sound.
Best news is it is to take place Wed.
That means I will be able to spend some quality time with the previous owner, the boat and a hopefully impartial and knowledgable observer.
And my kids wonder why I'm so excited about the day AFTER Christmas!!!

Will let all know results of survey
Old 12-24-2007, 11:06 PM   #10
Admiral

well..that's a smart move Matt....if you can be with the surveyor at the time he does the inspection..that will gleen you a mountain of knowledge to start on....if not...when you get the report...you can use the survey to negotiate a different price....particular insight should be taken in the exhaust manifolds and the risers...as well as the flapper valves....since your in salt water...the boat should have been rinsed with muffs after each use....also washed down with soap and water after each use.....
congrats on the new boat!!....it will be fun for you and the family.....

and welcome to the zoo!!....
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 12-25-2007, 07:13 PM   #11
Lt. Commander

Welcome to the forum,i would recomend buying the engine manual and stern drive manuals,learn what you can and carry some spares ,serpentine drive belt for starters.
good look and enjoy.

regds ashley
Old 12-26-2007, 12:13 AM   #12
Lt. JG

Mr. Puppy,
Once again please forgive my ignorance but what are the flapper valves you refer to? Something to do with engine exhaust or cooling?
Thanks Again,
Matt
Old 12-26-2007, 03:03 AM   #13
Admiral

matt..
first off..my name is steve...and second..the flapper valves are located aft of the exhaust risers just before the exhaust goes out thru the drive......finally ...no need to appologize for ignorance...keep asking ..you'll be up to speed in no time!!....

Steve
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 12-27-2007, 02:01 AM   #14
Lt. JG

Survey completed today and results aren't too bad. Boat needs a new water heater(old one appears to have rusted through so system won't hold pressure). Compass needs to be replaced. Anchor windlass not operational . Finally exhaust manifolds and probably risers need replacing. So no major or unexpected faults. The current owner works at a Mari
na So he agreed to fix everything but the risers and manifolds. These he offered to have done at a reduced cost of $600.
Looks as if transaction will proceed as planned. Yeah!
Work will take a week or so I should be a Maxum owner soon.
Thanks for the input and I'm sure I'll be back soon with tons of questions.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:47 AM   #15
Commander

Quote:
Survey completed today and results aren't too bad. Boat needs a new water heater(old one appears to have rusted through so system won't hold pressure). Compass needs to be replaced. Anchor windlass not operational . Finally exhaust manifolds and probably risers need replacing. So no major or unexpected faults. The current owner works at a Mari
na So he agreed to fix everything but the risers and manifolds. These he offered to have done at a reduced cost of $600.
Looks as if transaction will proceed as planned. Yeah!
Work will take a week or so I should be a Maxum owner soon.
Thanks for the input and I'm sure I'll be back soon with tons of questions.
Sounds great! I'm up in Tampa...swing by and pick me up.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:33 AM   #16
Ensign

Welcome aboard Matt,I myself got my first boat a 98 Maxum 2300SC in running condition and for a good price.I can't wait for the next season.

romzrx is offline   Reply With Quote