Old 07-07-2009, 03:30 AM   #1
Ensign

Default New Boat defects

Just a question, I recently picked up my new 2009 Maxum 1800SR3 and have found several important defects:
1. Caulking around lower and upper hull sections was not completed, every time you would go in reverse or stop from full cruise, water would pour into the rear engine compartment through the gaps above the swim platform.
2. Power stearing fluid quick disconnect was never tightened, when engine running power fluid will pour out of the joint into the bilge.
3. Windshield not correctly mounted, when heavy rain water will pour under the windshield gasket and fill the glove box with water. Actually shorted the radio.

This has happened within the first 2 weks, is this a anomoly or are Maxums made in Mexico now suffering from poor manufacturing controls.

Also is there anything that others have seen that I should look out for.

Other than the above the boat is great, dealer has worked hard to correct errors and hopefully this is it. By the way, I solved the hull leak issue with 1/2 dia. foam insulating rope tucked under the rub rail to seal the gaps along with some additional caulk in larger spots. This seems to have helped, hopefully it holds.
Steve

cadexrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 05:42 PM   #2
Lieutenant

Default Re: New Boat defects

All new boats have bugs. BUT, I would be a bit concerned about the hull leak. If water is pouring into the engine compartment you must have a big gap. I am not sure I would be satisfied with a bit of caulk. It might solve the leak in the short term, but caulk is an insufficient long term fix for a big gap. Few years down the road and you will have the same problem. I would wonder why there is a such a big gap -- is the top of the hull attached properly? I would have to see the gap, but it just doesn't soudn right.

As for the glove box, that sounds like a design issue but fixable.

I would push the dealer for real fixes.

A few years ago I had a Sea Ray bowrider and the in-dash cooler was inadequately supported and fell out. The dealer fixed it once with a "band aid" solution and it happened again. I made them come out on the 4th of July and give me a real fix, which was a metal strap firmly bolted with structural support. Point is, don't let them give you a band-aid as you will regret it later.

BTW, when did they start making Maxums in Mexico?

Ticamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 05:43 PM   #3
Lieutenant

p.s.- as I recall, the way I got the SR dealer to fix it right was by complaining to the factory.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:22 PM   #4

This is an '09. Water should not be pouring, trickling seeping or otherwise anywhere except into the uncovered boat when it rains and through holes that YOU put in the boat. :wink: Everything else is unacceptable. The boat should basically be built in two pieces, the hull and the deck (top). The deck should be placed ontop of the hull and the overlapping seam should be bolted and sealed. the rub rail should cover teh entire seem where the two parts of the boat meet.

If you have to jam 1/2" insulation and caulk up under the rub rail to keep water from pouring in, then that would be significant problem in my mind. Not a "let's see if we can fix teh problem", problem. I can understand the loose hydraulic connections, these are the types of bugs I'd expect. Water pouring under the windshield flooding the glove box and shorting the radio, water puring into the engine compartment.............this boat was improperly assembled. These problems are not going to get better with time. For the money you paid for an '09, I'd be tap dancing on the dealers head demanding a new boat. If the dealer is unwilling to work with you, I'd be calling the factory. Just remember you can 'scream' without actually yelling.

No this is not indicative of typical Maxum boats or any other boat from Brunswick. Sure they make Bayliners and Searays. They also make Cabo's, Hatteras, Meridian and a number of well respected boats in the marine industry. Searay, Bayliner and Maxum didn't become the best selling and most popular boats for producing junk. Sometimes these things happen. I grew up on Bayliner's and and currently own a Maxum (obviously) and they have all been great boats.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 02:50 AM   #5
Ensign

I took delivery of 08 2700SE at the end of May. So far I have had the Radio repaired(they put the wrong size fuse in it). The screws holding the steering wheel down were all coming out and had to be tightened. The sink collapsed( looks like it was tacked up). They are all small things but they shouldn't be happening with a brand new boat.
yippy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 03:46 PM   #6
Lieutenant

Little things like that always happen with new boats in my experience.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:45 PM   #7

I agreee with Ticamo. The problems described by "Yippi1" seem more like typical issues I'd expect to see. A new screw here; some lock-tight there; beefier fuse; maybe the occassionallly misaligned door, hinge, locker hatch etc.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote