Old 11-25-2016, 07:22 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Need Davit Advice

So West Marine has a crazy black friday deal on their 8.5 ft dingy. I pulled the trigger and bought it but I'm not sure how I'm going to secure it to my boat. I have a 3000 SCR with an extended swim platform and I'd like it to sit partially on there when under way. It'll have a 5hp motor on it but even still, the weight will be minimal and my platform is pretty close to water level. I'm unsure as to how must of these davits would work with an inflatable keel. I like the hurley davits but it looks like they're made for riding bottoms. Does anybody happen to have some advice to offer?
Thanks!

RxPad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 08:27 PM   #2
Lt. Commander

For a soft bottom dinghy you can use the weaver davits pretty easily. If you up grade to a rib you can get the Nautley Dinghy ramp which uses the quick release base of the weaver davits. I have the original Hurley davits and I like the Nautley better than it or the H2O

dbriceno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 09:19 PM   #3
Lt. JG

Thanks! I'm assuming I'll need a transom arch for the motor. Do you happen to know of anything simple that would allow the inflatable to sit on the swim platform instead of tilt so I don't need the transom arch too? I see them for ribs everywhere but not for soft bottoms.
RxPad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 10:57 PM   #4
Lt. Commander

A 5hp motor it is easily removed if you wish to use the weaver davits. Otherwise the Nautley ramp or Hurley davit is probably fine even with the soft bottom. You could even forgo the davit and just strap it to you transom. It's light enough and your platform is plenty big.
dbriceno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 07:08 PM   #5
Ensign

I have used a product called Dinghy Caddy. I am in Canada (Midland on Georgian Bay) and they are made right in town. They have a youtube site that shows how product works. I have it installed on my 4600 and extremely pleased. The dinghy and motor remain level so you don't need to worry about removing engine from it
Attached Thumbnails
maxum5.jpg  
BRitter1 is offline   Reply With Quote