Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-10-2009, 01:20 AM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Naragansette, RI

Any members from Connecticut or Ny made the trip to Narrgansette from Ct, how long from the ct river to there and any recomendations on marinas, or any other good advice. :?:

kenpo262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:15 PM   #2

Default Re: Naragansette, RI

First off, I'd strongly recommend that you purchase the following Chartbooks:

Maptech Item #: WPB0325 "325: Long Island Sound"

Maptech Item #: WPD0250 "BLK ISLAND TO CAPE COD"

The "Long Island Sound" Chart Book will get you from the Conn. river to Block Island. The "Block Island to Cape Cod" will include the Shore of R.I. and include Naragansett. Both will include an extrememly comprehensive list of Marina's and Marine Services by port in the back and will reference the page of the chart book. The charts within the book should also include the referenced marine services listed in the back on the chart themselves. The Marina and Marine services will include what services each location offers (Gas, Transient slips, Haul, Power options, facilities (ice, store, bait, restaurant, diesal, showers, laundry, pumpout, etc) and will also include a contact phone number for making reservations and a the VHF channel the facility monitors. These are pretty much the exclusive resources I use for trip planning and I use them for naviation in conjunction with my GPS for navigation. I certainly wouldn't be boating anywhere without one of these for the area I'm navigating in. (GPS alone IS NOT sufficient. Always carry local, up to date charts).

I can't say exactly how long it will take you, since It will vary based on average speed and wind/sea conditions. Also, admittedly, I've never boated out to the Conn. river OR Naragansett. However, I can tell you this. I'm out of the Thames River, just a little east of you. I just came back from Block Island on Sat. It took me exactly 1 hr. from the channel going into the Great Salt Pond B.I, to about 1 mile into the Thames river. I would say it was probably 45 min. from B.I. to The Race running at about 24kts. Naragansett is just North of B.I. and you would follow a course much closer to shore. I would guess that The Race to Naragansett be a bit be more than about an hour. How long for you to get to The Race? (Ra ce Light is on the West tip of Fischer's Island) I would guess you might be looking at a 2 hr. cruise. I'd have to plot out a course to measure miles to be more exact.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 05:07 PM   #3
Lt. JG

Default Re: Naragansette, RI

The boat came with charts and I have some from the old boat, we are about 20 mins upriver from the race. Thanks for the info, I will go over the charts and plot a course on the GPS
kenpo262 is offline   Reply With Quote