Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-02-2015, 08:22 PM   #41
Captain
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 510
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparsons121 View Post
I'd stick with the B2's. Personally, I wouldn't see BIII as an upgrade. The B2's are pretty much bullet-proof and the larger diameter props are a big plus over the BIII for low speed handling and planning speeds.



John

Yeah, decided that wasn't in my budget at the moment...
__________________

speedysprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:25 PM   #42
Admiral
 
mmwjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Essex, Maryland
Posts: 8,238
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysprocket View Post
I found the bigger u-bolt part number...

And it is? Incase others need to know.
__________________

__________________
1997 2400 SCR
5.7 Vortec / Bravo 2
Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 10:26 PM   #43
Captain
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 510
Default

The majority have 10-805164 which is 3/8".
Looks like the last ones made had 10-866324 which is 7/16".
speedysprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 11:11 PM   #44
Admiral
 
mmwjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Essex, Maryland
Posts: 8,238
Default

Does the larger one work with the same yoke as the small u-bolt?

Yokes holes accept the larger one?
__________________
1997 2400 SCR
5.7 Vortec / Bravo 2
Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 11:13 PM   #45
Captain
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 510
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
Does the larger one work with the same yoke as the small u-bolt?



Yokes holes accept the larger one?

It appears the bend would fit, but you'd have to drill the holes out some.
speedysprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 11:14 PM   #46
Admiral
 
mmwjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Essex, Maryland
Posts: 8,238
Default

Good to know thanks
__________________
1997 2400 SCR
5.7 Vortec / Bravo 2
Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 03:47 AM   #47
Commander
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
Your call on the bearing, the seal one will be fine in the older housing.
+1 I went with the newer sealed versions. Kit came with a 'set screw' to replace the zerk to prevent anyone attempting to grease.

Pulled the drives after 2 seasons due to a engine issue and bearings look/feel like new.

John
jparsons121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 03:58 AM   #48
Commander
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 258
Default

Also, re: u-bolts, the 3/8 (10-805164 ) was spec'd for Gas Applications-SN# 0W465664 & Below / Diesel Applications SN# 0W403949 & Below..

The larger bolt (10-866324) was called for in Gas Applications-SN# 0W465665 & Up / Diesel Applications-SN# 0W403950 & Up
jparsons121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 02:52 PM   #49
Captain
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 510
Default

New thought- I'm converting to fresh water cooling. I will flush the engines before adding the heat exchangers, but I was wondering if anyone knows of a high temperature strainer I can put on one of the cooling lines to pull any extra debris out of the cooling system. I'd probably only use it for an hour or so of operation once the boat goes in the water.

Oh, and if anyone has a heat exchanger they want to part with, let me know. I have everything for one engine already...
speedysprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 06:00 PM   #50
Captain
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 510
Default

I'm going to try this type of strainer. Any objections?
1" Internal Thread Brass Type Y Water Oil Strainer with Connector Plug Valve | eBay
speedysprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 08:20 PM   #51
Admiral
 
mmwjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Essex, Maryland
Posts: 8,238
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysprocket View Post
I'm going to try this type of strainer. Any objections?
1" Internal Thread Brass Type Y Water Oil Strainer with Connector Plug Valve | eBay

Where in the system do you plan to install it?

Based on what you are looking to do I would think you would want a strainer in the hose that goes to from the t-stat to HE to collect debrie coming out of the engine but capture it before entering the HE.
__________________
1997 2400 SCR
5.7 Vortec / Bravo 2
Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 08:24 PM   #52
Captain
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 510
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
Where in the system do you plan to install it?



Based on what you are looking to do I would think you would want a strainer in the hose that goes to from the t-stat to HE to collect debrie coming out of the engine but capture it before entering the HE.

I was going to try to get the manifold in the cooling system and strain it after them.
speedysprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 08:27 PM   #53
Admiral
 
mmwjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Essex, Maryland
Posts: 8,238
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysprocket View Post
I was going to try to get the manifold in the cooling system and strain it after them.

You lost me. Do you mean use the strainer before installing the closed cooling system?

If so the strainer would need to go in the t-stat to circulating pump hose to collect debrie coming out of the engine and capture it before re entering it.
__________________
1997 2400 SCR
5.7 Vortec / Bravo 2
Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 08:31 PM   #54
Captain
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 510
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
You lost me. Do you mean use the strainer before installing the closed cooling system?



If so the strainer would need to go in the t-stat to circulating pump hose to collect debrie coming out of the engine and capture it before re entering it.

No. Closed cooling "full" system. So after coolant flows through the block, it goes to the manifolds , then strainer, before returning to the heat exchanger.
speedysprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 08:36 PM   #55
Admiral
 
mmwjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Essex, Maryland
Posts: 8,238
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysprocket View Post
No. Closed cooling "full" system. So after coolant flows through the block, it goes to the manifolds , then strainer, before returning to the heat exchanger.

Not sure the flow path working that way.

I had a full closed system and the manifolds were feed by ports on the HE and had a return to the HE.

I would just flush the system in the open system set up using salt away. Then install the closed system. After the first year flush the closed system and install new coolant.

There will be rust that will get into the coolant no matter what you do.
__________________
1997 2400 SCR
5.7 Vortec / Bravo 2
Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:55 PM   #56
Captain
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 510
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
Not sure the flow path working that way.

I had a full closed system and the manifolds were feed by ports on the HE and had a return to the HE.

I would just flush the system in the open system set up using salt away. Then install the closed system. After the first year flush the closed system and install new coolant.

There will be rust that will get into the coolant no matter what you do.
Hm, if the manifolds went to and from the heat exchanger only, then I don't se how the water pump could be circulating water through them. I may just keep it a half system, I guess. The first closed loop system I got is from a Horizon engine, and it's setup a little different than the earlier carb systems.
speedysprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 10:01 PM   #57
Admiral
 
mmwjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Essex, Maryland
Posts: 8,238
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysprocket View Post
Hm, if the manifolds went to and from the heat exchanger only, then I don't se how the water pump could be circulating water through them. I may just keep it a half system, I guess. The first closed loop system I got is from a Horizon engine, and it's setup a little different than the earlier carb systems.

I believe the coolant that goes to the exhaust is mixed with the engine loop otherwise the 160* water coming from the engine would go to the manifold to pick up more heat. This would result in 200* plus water in the manifolds and not be good. The mixing happens in the HE.

Do you have the Horizon flow diagram?
__________________
1997 2400 SCR
5.7 Vortec / Bravo 2
Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 10:02 PM   #58
Captain
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 510
Default

I haven't found very good diagrams for anything. They've all been pretty general.
speedysprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 10:06 PM   #59
Admiral
 
mmwjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Essex, Maryland
Posts: 8,238
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysprocket View Post
I haven't found very good diagrams for anything. They've all been pretty general.

Agree the Merc manual basically shows either partial or full systems that look similar to aftermarket diagrams.

However there really isn't really options to do it any different. The only difference I have seen is how the coolant is split to feed the manifolds. Either right at HE or with external plumbing.
__________________
1997 2400 SCR
5.7 Vortec / Bravo 2
Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 10:08 PM   #60
Captain
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 510
Default My 3200 SCR Restoration

I was wondering about the feasibility of using Ts or Ys in the lines to feed them. Then again, can that cooler even handle the 7.4L with the manifolds together?...
__________________

speedysprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 04:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.