Old 04-29-2020, 02:28 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default Mooring VS Trailing

I have read that stern drive setups take more of a beating being left in the water for prolonged periods, and I've also read that being on the salt water full time greatly diminishes the life of other components (namely exhaust manifolds).

In the past I have always trailered and never left my boat on the water for more than one week.

What are the risks really? I love the idea of leaving the boat at the marina during at least the summer months. How much more will that end up being in wear and tear on the systems?

Dustin07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 03:10 PM   #2
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin07 View Post
I have read that stern drive setups take more of a beating being left in the water for prolonged periods, and I've also read that being on the salt water full time greatly diminishes the life of other components (namely exhaust manifolds).

In the past I have always trailered and never left my boat on the water for more than one week.

What are the risks really? I love the idea of leaving the boat at the marina during at least the summer months. How much more will that end up being in wear and tear on the systems?
I have done both, kept in water is hard on outdrives, and a lot of other things as the moisture gets in electronics.
I would only keep a boat on a hoist of some kind if I was going to keep it in the water.
I now trailer my 2400 all the time.
Don

2012 South Bay Pontoon
donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 04:12 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

That pretty much validates my thoughts. I committed to two months (May/June) to give me time to get the trailer fixed up. I was on the fence about keeping it in the water the rest of the summer but I think I'll pull it as I don't have a sling/dry dock available.
Old 04-29-2020, 04:17 PM   #4
Admiral

My first boat stayed in the water all season and was pulled for the winter. The boat was 15 years old when I first got it and I did this for the ten years I owned it and never had any issues. Brackish water. Painted the bottom and drive as well as new anodes yearly.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 05:38 PM   #5
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
My first boat stayed in the water all season and was pulled for the winter. The boat was 15 years old when I first got it and I did this for the ten years I owned it and never had any issues. Brackish water. Painted the bottom and drive as well as new anodes yearly.
How long did your exhaust manifolds last on your old motor? My surveyor is in the San Juans so most of the boats he sees live in the water year round and he says those manifolds last 5-7 years on average for the boats he looks at.
Old 04-29-2020, 06:48 PM   #6
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin07 View Post
How long did your exhaust manifolds last on your old motor? My surveyor is in the San Juans so most of the boats he sees live in the water year round and he says those manifolds last 5-7 years on average for the boats he looks at.
I got 10 years out of them.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 07:16 PM   #7
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
I got 10 years out of them.
Good to know!
Old 04-30-2020, 01:25 PM   #8

I've only ever stored my boat in saltwater for the season. I launch in mid May and haul in mid October. It's the salt air that gets into the electrical and electronics, not the water the boat is sitting in. The electronics will suffer the same results sitting on a trailer in the marina parking lot.

Manifolds and risers corrode as a result of use, not of sitting, per se. You would need to flush the system with freshwater after each use to prolong their life. Properly zinc'd to combat electrolysis, outdrives are fine in saltwater. It's when they are hauled and not flushed that becomes an issue. Marine growth presents challenges, but seasonal sanding and painting isn't that big of a deal. You could also simply take a rag and clean the outdrive weekly.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 02:14 PM   #9
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post

Manifolds and risers corrode as a result of use, not of sitting, per se. You would need to flush the system with freshwater after each use to prolong their life. Properly zinc'd to combat electrolysis, outdrives are fine in saltwater. It's when they are hauled and not flushed that becomes an issue. Marine growth presents challenges, but seasonal sanding and painting isn't that big of a deal. You could also simply take a rag and clean the outdrive weekly.
Thanks man, this isn't too far from my normal protocol. In the past I always gave the boat a thorough washing. sometimes even going to the DYI car wash where my boat would fit on the way home to washer down, clean the salt of the trailer etc then run the muffs when I got home. My plan long term is to keep it parked at my house with a thorough fresh water rinse after each use. It's just the season mooring I'm on the fence about.

these first 2 months I don't really have an option because I'll spend May getting the trailer fixed up anyways. It needs basically everything. tires, brakes, etc. it's just a question of keeping it in the water after June or not... IDK.