Old 07-11-2013, 08:10 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Maxum 2700 Toilet Question

So I'm a first time boat owner and have found this forum to be GREAT. You've saved me $ when i couldn't figure out that the fridge was killing my batteries (rookie mistake). And you helped me figure out how to empty the water in the aft locker (clogged drains) and finally helped me figure out how to put together the aft sun cushions (no clue where they were)....

Now I have a question for the Maxum owners about my toilet. When it flushes (i use my foot to push down on the lever under the toilet) and there is no fluid (blue flushing liquid) that comes out. For this reason it looks like me and the previous owner before me keeps a gallon water jug near the toilet to help with the flushing. I see a blue pex type tube running into the bottom of the toilet so it makes me think there is a reservoir somewhere to fill up with that blue flush liquid, however I can't find it anywhere. Can someone point me in the right direction? Much appreciated and again, love this site!

piermontmaxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:30 AM   #2
Admiral

I am not an expert here but most marine toilets flush using sea water. You need to check and make sure the sea cock is open it should be in the engine compartment. However if theprevious owner had a bucket there it makes me think something is not working. Try the sea cock first.

I am sure other who use te toilet much more than I will chime in.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:33 PM   #3
Lieutenant

Seawater and pee are bad combinations and can crystilize and cause the check valves not too work. Mine is operated by a handle and pumps out but will not pump sea water in. I just add fresh water from the shower handle and that works for all situations. And my wife is happy with that. I've checked everything short of pulling the toilet out.
SRPATTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:56 PM   #4
Admiral

Seawater has been used since a toilet was first used on a boat. All things wear out eventually. Some newer system use fresh water but this requires a larger freshwater tank since the demand is higher.

Sounds like yours flushes OK but is not getting water to it. Is your seacock open? That is if are tired of using the shower to flush.

Mike
Old 07-12-2013, 10:05 PM   #5
Lieutenant

I checked the seacock, strainer, disassembled the pump, primed everything, cleaned the thru hull, I'm figuring boat was not touched for 3 years, sat in the water, and things dried up in the FL heat. I guess there's a possibility to get barnacles in the valves also. We overnight a lot but never too far from a pumpout or water.

We also keep a bucket on board for unruly guests

Sherman
SRPATTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:20 AM   #6
Admiral

Hey if it works for you I won't argue

Mike
Old 07-15-2013, 02:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
I am not an expert here but most marine toilets flush using sea water.
Correct, in most cases

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRPATTON View Post
Seawater and pee are bad combinations and can crystilize and cause the check valves not too work.
Correct. It also causes odor in the holding tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
Seawater has been used since a toilet was first used on a boat. All things wear out eventually.
Correct again, though technically, I think the very first was a bucket.

So everyone is correct. The manual hand pumps do draw in rawwater, though whether that is salt or freshwater depends more on the boats location. The electric flushes use raw water in most cases as well. However, I believe that the vacu-flush heads draw freshwater from the water tank not raw water. how or why would the water become blue in that system when flushing?

I think someone with a vacu-flush head might need to weigh in here.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:36 PM   #8
Ensign

pier.... What year is your boat? I have a 2002 2900 so our boats may basically be the same. My toilet is a vacu-flush so when i push down on the lever, the waste is sucked into the holding tank and the bowl refills from the fresh water tank. First, you need to find out what kind of toilet you have. If it is a vacu-flush system then you need to make sure you have water in your fresh water tank, and your water pump switch is turned on. I'm not sure about the other type of systems that have been discussed.
2900cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:59 PM   #9
Lt. JG

Thanks all. 2900Cruiser, that was it. The water pump needed to be on for the toilet to flush with fresh water from the tank. Great, thanks for your help!
piermontmaxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:32 AM   #10
Ensign

No prob, that's why we are all here, to help out our fellow boaters! Just glad, as I am sure you are as well, that you don't have to use the gallon water jug any longer!
2900cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:35 AM   #11
Admiral

pier, glad to hear you were able to fix the problem with a flick of a switch, but I just need to ask is it "BLUE"? Still not sure what you meant by (blue flushing liquid) unless it is some type of deodorizer add to the water for the system?

Mike