Old 02-10-2008, 11:55 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Maxum 2600 SE

We are looking at the purchase of a new 2006 2600 SE with 5.0L MPI 260hp Bravo III with freash water cooling. Is this enough power for this boat. Looking for nice weekender boat. Apprciate any comments on this model.
Just sold a 29' Baja with twin 350 Magnums and Alpha I drives. (Fun but thirsty boat).
Jim :?:

DocJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 12:49 AM   #2
Admiral

Hi doc and welcome to the zoo...the 5.0ltr mpi engine is a good engine but it won't have the hp you had with your baja....depending on how many people you plan on entertaining on it..it might be a bit underpowered...if it's just 2 then it will be fine...the b3 drive is an awesome drive and will be great for docking...(I have one and it's made me a better boater)..however ..you need to maintain your zinc's regularly or corrosion will happen.....but...I'd recommend the 5.7ltr with the b3 drive...you can't go wrong with that combo......
the other question that would help is how do you plan to use the boat...in salt water..fresh....??...trailer or slipped???....staying all weekend or just for the day..??..we use ours every weekend we can..the one trip we're planning is to go up into the canadian gulf islands this summer...
again..welcome to the zoo...hope you stick around!....

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 04:02 AM   #3
Ensign

Default 2600 SE

Thanks for the comments. Most of our boating will be in and around the lakes in the Okanagan Valley of BC. We have an F350 and plan on towing the boat frequently therefore will stay with the 8' 6" beam. Most often my wife and I are alone for weekends and then day visitors periodically. The boat has a nice layout and pretty nice finishing for the price point.
I would guess a sea trial is in order.
Jim
Old 02-11-2008, 02:21 PM   #4
Admiral

"I would guess a sea trial is in order."

definitely...put the purchase contingent on successful seatrails...

and welcome to the zoo!!..
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 02-12-2008, 03:36 PM   #5
Lt. Commander

Location: Commuting weekly from South Central Idaho. Got Water?
Default Northwest Rockies Boating

Welcome DocJim. I'm just south of you in Spokane. Kelowna is one of my favorite cities to visit (spent alot of time playing fastpitch softball there).

Looks like your transitioning from 'go fast' to 'go casual'. I'm guessing your usual lake is Okanagan and occasional jaunts down to Osoyoos? Awesome waters. Okanagan is on my trip list.

Good luck with the future purchase. Any boat in the water that you are on is a good one.

"If you look like your passport photo, you probably need the trip"
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 07:46 PM   #6
Ensign

Default 2600

Kelowna is a wonderful area for boating. Our 1992 Baja ia actually a 290 10' beam widebody cruiser with a complete head, galley and sleeping quarters. Runs with twin 350 magnums. Beautiful big fast boat although with a 10 ft beam and dry weight of 10,500 just a real pain to trailer anywhere. We have a signed deal on the Maxum 2600se subject to a sea trial. Looking at the the stats it looks a little lite on the power side. I guess the setrial will tell the tale. We plan to do some boating in the Shuswaps an hour north of hear. We also plan to trailer the boat to Saskatchewan to lake Diffenbaker. Big lake in the middle of nowhere, no traffic, and great fishing. Call if you head up this way.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:20 AM   #7
Lt. Commander

You already know the answer to the power question. Going from twins to the single will be disappointing, at least from the 'neck snapping' perspective. As for the 'liters per hour', no comparison. You can expect a slow to plane (without tabs anyway) start and high 30's to low 40's top end (mph of course).

More cruising and fishing than 'lake blasting' (which is always fun).

I got a chance years back to take out a 40' Fountain with twin big block, supercharged mercs on Lake Winnebago. It was a midnight run at over 100 mph. Incredible. Hard to ever use that as a benchmark.

I love my Maxum for it's performance/comfort/and towability.

Good luck on your test run.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:36 AM   #8
Ensign

Default Maxum 2600 SE

Well we did a sea trial on Lake Okanagan today. Boat handled beautifully.
Could always use more power but using the trim and tabs got up on plan quickly. Had full fuel and 4 big adults and all the canvas and plastic up to brave some pretty high winds and cold weather. Topped out at 42mph cruised at 25mph at 3500RPM.
Big difference is going down from 10 beam to 8'6" and having to use the tabs to balance out the ride.
Made the deal.
Jim
Old 03-02-2008, 01:39 AM   #9
Admiral

Congrats on the new boat!!...now it's official....welcome to the zoo!!!
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 03-03-2008, 02:08 PM   #10
Lt. Commander

Ahhh! Trim tabs. Sweet. Their on my 'wish list'. Good to hear your happy with the vessel. Happy boating!

Old 03-04-2008, 01:37 PM   #11
Lieutenant

Sorry to interject, but how do you optimize getting onto a plane with the trim tabs. I am new to trim tabs.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:46 PM   #12
Admiral

Hi Hibris1...the easiest way is to put the drive trim down all the way...the lower the trim tabs....hit the throttle and as soon as the boat pops up on plane...start reducing the trim planes into the bow up positions..then bump the drive up until you feel the boat hit the sweet spot...your now trimmed up....the boat should be getting best performance right about there..may need to play with the trim tabs a bit to get her trimmed out properly...so...that's about it....
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 03-04-2008, 02:49 PM   #13
Lt. Commander

The tabs are a pair of either 'fixed' (non-adjustable) or 'adjustable' metal or fiberglass plates, mounted on the stern at the point the water exits the hull. I'm not an engineer nor an expert in physics (I did stay at a Holiday Inn once) but the purpose of the tabs is to 'increase' the resistance for the bow to raise when under power. Very similar to the control surfaces on an aircraft (of which I am very familiar).

These work to enhance control of plane (nose up/down) and must be in sync with your outdrive trim, though both are indepedantly controlled.

Also keep in mind your weight allocation (people/gear/coolers) and evenly distribute across the keel length.

There are many additional benefits to include optimal control of engine rpm's/speed, and fuel savings.

Hope this helps,

Old 03-10-2008, 01:59 PM   #14
Lt. JG

Depending on the load bringing down the trim tabs to half or 3/4 of the way may be benificial as well, retrimming after the plane for optimal cruising. ~~jb
Old 03-13-2008, 04:24 AM   #15
AP
Ensign

Default new boat- Right pice?

Hi everybody

As DocJim, I'm considering buying a 2600 SE. Engine is the same 5.0 260HP, and I'm kind of concerned since almost every review I saw, says that this engine is not enough for this boat. Everybody suggests the 5.7 or,(even better) the 6.2 to be absolutely on the safe side
I have no choice. The only 2600 SE 2007 new I found fully equiped is coming with that engine
I will use the boat in the ocean and Intracoastal. 3 to 4 people average
All your comments were really helpfull but I guess I won't be able to tell until I test
I'm trying to move from a 20 ft power boat to this 27ft cruiser. (power boat is really old so there will not be much difference in the power and besides it is almost impossible to go over 30MPH in the ocean most of the times, and Intracoastal is restricted to 25 MPH due to manatees)
Since I'm in the middle of negotiations, I would love to have some input from Doc Jim regarding price paid, that is if he bought new boat if possible
I'm not sure what's the right price to pay for a 2007 fully equipped
Also: No experience whatsoever in cruisers :? so any coments are always wellcome
Glad to be here

Andres
AP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:39 PM   #16
Admiral

AP...welcome to the zoo...with it being the 5.0ltr 260hp mpi engine..I'm guessing it has the b3 drive...which will make up for alot of downs with the anemic 5.0ltr engine...the 2600se is a nice boat..you should like it alot..the cool thing about the b3 drive is that it's almost like driving with a twin screw engine...I can turn my boat on it's own length in a harbor with the b3 drive...makes docking alot easier....
I think you may be ok with it as long as you don't overload it...too much beer can not be conscrude as overloaded....just kidding....
the mpi engine as a bit more torque and hp...which this size boat will need...but learn to use the trim tabs on takeoff and it will probably help out alot....
cruising is fun...as you know...with anyboat..never approach the dock faster than your willing to crash into it.....there will be some limitations but not alot..mainly more gas being burned with alot more comfort....
welcome to the zoo and post pic's of your new baby!!..

Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 03-14-2008, 01:32 PM   #17
AP
Ensign

Thanks
As I said before, still negotiating. Obviously you also think a 5.0 is weak power.
For the same price of this boat the second option I have is a bayliner 275 with a 300HP inside. It is loaded almost identical to 2600SE except for the fresh water for the head (it is electric/sea water)
After all reviews regarding the engine I read during past days I may probably consider moving into that boat

Also, what do you think about an external generator? they are asking me between 8 and 10,000 to install one inside, but 950 for a Honda that I can place on the back. Any advice?
thanks
Old 03-14-2008, 02:07 PM   #18
Admiral

I'd go with the 275 @300hp..you'll definitly like that one better....I have the 6.2ltr-b3 set up and love it..power of a big block with the weight of a small block...definitely would recommend the mpi system too...

as for gennies...if your not interested in pumping that much money into the boat...a small swim step mounted honda is the ticket...I know alot of folks here in the pacnorwest that does that....the honda 2k will run everything on the boat....a honda 1k will run everything but requires more power management...but definitely doable....

personally on my boat..it came with a westerbeke 4.5 kva genny and I love it...it's definitely the way to go...there is a smaller 3.5kva genny that would work and I'm sure you could install it or have it installed for about 5k....so...it's your money!!..

Sp
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 03-14-2008, 02:12 PM   #19
AP
Ensign

Thanks again

Let's see first what I do regarding boats, and then I will come back on the gen issue
Thanks very much for all your help and advice

Andres