Old 07-29-2020, 02:16 PM   #1
Ensign

Lightbulb Mattress Replacement 2000 3300 scr

I just bought this boat and I would love to replace the entire forward berth mattress. I am thinking about getting a queen size foam mattress in a box and cutting it to size and upholstering it. The upholstering part is easy but I want to make sure that a mattress in a box or something of that sort would work. My local fabric store sells foam also but I don't think they have the width I need.

I have looked at so many boats that have used a topper over the original mattress and it just doesn't have that nice finished look I want.

Sailrite.com has a great video on cutting, sizing, and upholstering. Lots of weird angles and what not but I am a pretty crafty gal and I have been sewing since I was a kid. Did lots of reupholstery on my pontoon boat with my heavy duty sewing machine.

Any ideas? If so, any pics you can post?

FishinChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 11:50 PM   #2
Lt. Commander

I’ve seen folks on the car build shows cut foam with a hot wire tool, and do finish work with an electric serrated carving knife like you’d use on a turkey. Good luck!

Old 06-15-2021, 04:22 PM   #3
Lt. JG

Lightbulb looking for forward berth mattress measurements 2001 3300

FishinChick- I am also looking to cut down a mattress as a replacement. I cannot remember the dimensions of the forward berth. Do you have them? And did you confirm that a queen sized mattress would work in the forward area?
warbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 01:23 AM   #4
Lt. JG

I had a piece of large foam at home about 8 inches thick. I laid the old bow mattress on top of it then cut it with a powered turkey carver. Then I eyeballed the angles (it seats in the V of the bow). Super easy. The original mattress cover fit right over it. Some of my cuts weren't 100% perfect but you'd never know once the bedding is on...
denemante is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forward berth, mattress, mattress replacement