Old 05-01-2012, 11:12 PM   #1
Commander

Default Marina Recomendation near DC

So I have the opportunity to spend the summer in Washington DC for work, but it has me disappointed that I will miss the boating season here in the northeast. But then I thought, what if I get a slip at a marina near my place in Arlington? Maybe I can't afford it, but the Chesapeke looks like a cool place to boat. Any recommendations on a decent place to keep my little boat in the DC/Arlington area?

-JP

CountryME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:57 PM   #2
Commander

Are you Retired Military?

Todd

9Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:11 PM   #3
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

JP,

I grew up in the DC area (Arlington/Falls Church/Fairfax) and still live here. Aside from the traffic it's a great place with more things to do that you can shake a boat hook at.

There are a handful of marinas close to Arlington; Columbia Island, for instance, that are nice. Unfortunately none of them will put you on the Chesapeke Bay. They will, however, put you on the Potomac River - which isn't a bad thing at all. The river is big, long, and has all kinds of places to go. I keep mine on a trailer at a marina in a place called Woodbridge, which isn't too far from Arlington. Keeping it on the trailer is less expensive than keeping it in a slip.

If you really want to be on the Bay you'll have to find a marina closer to Annapolis. The down side to that is the drive to get there. It'll take at least an hour from Arlington - assuming you don't hit any traffic.

Let me know if ya have any specific Q's.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:40 PM   #4
Commander

Todd, I'm not retired military, I'm DoD Civillian.

Dan,
Thanks for the tips. That sounds like a great idea. If things go through like I think they will, I'll be in touch. THe Patomic sounds like a better idea for my 1900 anyway.

-JP
CountryME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:09 PM   #5
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

No problem JP. If you end up down here just let me know and I'll hook ya up.

Hope you like heat and humidity! But then, almost anything is tollerable when on a boat.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:01 PM   #6
Commander

MWR Annapolis has slips, not sure if any available but heres the news letter, "Our Morale, Welfare and Recreation (MWR) facilities are here for recreational use by active duty military, retired military, active reservists, current and retired Department of Defense civilian employees (Civil Service and Non-appropriated), active duty Coast Guard, family members in all of the previous categories, Midshipmen at the U.S. Naval Academy and USNA DoD Contractors."

http://www.usna.edu/MWR/

9Ball is offline   Reply With Quote