Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-29-2020, 08:26 PM   #1
Ensign
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Buffalo, New York
Posts: 10
Default Manuals

Hi all, looking for section 4 of the Merc service manual #25. Does anyone have a link to that section?
__________________

Upper Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 01:02 AM   #2
Admiral
 
mmwjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Essex, Maryland
Posts: 8,052
Default

Youíll find all of manual #25 under Documents of this site.
__________________

__________________
1997 2400 SCR
5.7 Vortec / Bravo 2
Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 12:09 PM   #3
Ensign
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Buffalo, New York
Posts: 10
Default

MMWJR, I downloaded #25 from the documents sections but it is only 225 pages and only through section 3A. How do I access the other sections?
Upper Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 12:46 PM   #4
Admiral
 
mmwjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Essex, Maryland
Posts: 8,052
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upper Mike View Post
MMWJR, I downloaded #25 from the documents sections but it is only 225 pages and only through section 3A. How do I access the other sections?
Seems that all that was loaded of that manual but you may want to PM shrew to see if he has the full manual. Another option is to also get manual #24 as the sections you are missing are generic between your V6 and the V8.

BTY you can call me Mike.
__________________
1997 2400 SCR
5.7 Vortec / Bravo 2
Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 12:19 PM   #5
Ensign
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Buffalo, New York
Posts: 10
Default

Thanks Mike
Upper Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 01:48 PM   #6
Moderator

 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,820
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
Seems that all that was loaded of that manual but you may want to PM shrew to see if he has the full manual. Another option is to also get manual #24 as the sections you are missing are generic between your V6 and the V8.
Apologies, I do not have the manuals.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:12 PM   #7
Ensign
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 2
Default Proper Manual for older 3.0's?

Hi all, new owner of an older Maxum on the Finger Lakes in upstate NY. Thanks for having me on the forum.

Just wanted to knock around and maybe fish a bit on the oh too rare times I get up to my fav lake, and so new to boating I bought an 88' 1700 last year with the Alpha one/3.0 from the local mechanic! Seemed like a good idea...he'd rebuilt it. Ran fine when i started it up last Nov. to winterize, and I did a bangup job- I think- of fogging (seafoam) and filling the block with coolant.
I am looking to get more familiar with other tune up issues with this motor, since it won't be run much, and I don't have it with me most of time. And with COVID I havent been up to run her at all yet. Going up next week: Anything particular I should do with no run time since last Nov.? priming with oil, or such? I think I will try to put her in.

Mainly, posted here to ask if #26 IS the closest shop manual I can find. I don't see anywhere a 3.0 manual for specifically older ones, and where there seems to be many changes after '89 in these motors. Not even sure if this thing has points under that distributor, I haven't had it off yet. Wont until I need to, I guess, but boy I was 14 the last time I adjusted points, ha. Anyway, any tips for a newbie will be greatly appreciated and thanks to whoever posts the manuals, that was very helpful!!

Thanks in advance all! Happy Boating, SenecaLakeJunkie
SenecaLakeJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 02:13 AM   #8
Admiral
 
mmwjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Essex, Maryland
Posts: 8,052
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenecaLakeJunkie View Post
Hi all, new owner of an older Maxum on the Finger Lakes in upstate NY. Thanks for having me on the forum.

Just wanted to knock around and maybe fish a bit on the oh too rare times I get up to my fav lake, and so new to boating I bought an 88' 1700 last year with the Alpha one/3.0 from the local mechanic! Seemed like a good idea...he'd rebuilt it. Ran fine when i started it up last Nov. to winterize, and I did a bangup job- I think- of fogging (seafoam) and filling the block with coolant.
I am looking to get more familiar with other tune up issues with this motor, since it won't be run much, and I don't have it with me most of time. And with COVID I havent been up to run her at all yet. Going up next week: Anything particular I should do with no run time since last Nov.? priming with oil, or such? I think I will try to put her in.

Mainly, posted here to ask if #26 IS the closest shop manual I can find. I don't see anywhere a 3.0 manual for specifically older ones, and where there seems to be many changes after '89 in these motors. Not even sure if this thing has points under that distributor, I haven't had it off yet. Wont until I need to, I guess, but boy I was 14 the last time I adjusted points, ha. Anyway, any tips for a newbie will be greatly appreciated and thanks to whoever posts the manuals, that was very helpful!!

Thanks in advance all! Happy Boating, SenecaLakeJunkie
#26 should be close enough for most things youíll need to know. Did you put a stabilizer in the fuel? Seafoam is a cleaner. After adding a stabilizer you should run the engine to get the mixture through the fuel line and into the carb. Most likely you have points else there would be a ignition module on the port elbow.
__________________
1997 2400 SCR
5.7 Vortec / Bravo 2
Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 04:26 PM   #9
Ensign
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 2
Default

Thanks, Mike! For the help. Yeah, OK it'll have to do, then, #26, plus I see a few separate carb shop manuals out there that might help me hone in on adjustments, etc., as they come up. I'll need to grab the exact #'s when I am at the boat next week.

OH, yes, I did add fuel saver, but I didn't circulate it that much. Only for about a minute or so till I choked the motor out with foam, since I didnt have water at that time on hand. So I'll keep that in mind and run longer next time, or what Im thinking is basically I'll put the boat away every time as if its winter. Maybe except antifreeze until Nov.

Thanks again for this tips, wish me luck!

Chris
SenecaLakeJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 05:43 PM   #10
Admiral
 
mmwjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Essex, Maryland
Posts: 8,052
Default

If you donít use it often I would add stabilizer at each refueling. Good luck.
__________________

__________________
1997 2400 SCR
5.7 Vortec / Bravo 2
Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Popular Tags
#1750 3.0 18 foot bow rider 1900sr 2003 2300scr 2400scr 2400 scr 2900 3200 scr for sale 3300 scr 3500bilge 3700 4100 sca auto bilge..not so auto boat trailer brochure build cigarette compass cover post cruisair direction electronics engine cover engines finder foot buttons fuse panel gauges panel gimbal seal hull strakes hull strakes modification improvement intro light low rpm marine generator mattress replacement maxum maxum 3300 maxum ladder mercruiser 4.3 mercruiser 7.4 nav lights neutral new member parts parts; 1900sr3; propeller prop hub replace puget sound raw water cooling rear cleat replace gauge scb 4600 dash board new scr shower drain spare sun lounge surf sy vs scr trailer trailer buttor transducer wakeboard water pump water system windlass anchor window trim 3300 scr windshield
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 07:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.