Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-26-2013, 12:21 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Looking to upgrade to a 3300 SCR

First timer here, I currently have a 2001 2500 SCR, looking at trading up to a 1999 3300 SCR with 5.7 and Bravo II, is there anything that I should check for that is 3300 specific, anyone have one that does not like something about it already. My wife found that the Microwave door has been scratching the counter for a longtime, common? Also the owner installed a 4KVA generator, is that big enough?

Thanks

Dave

dwhyte2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:07 PM   #2

Welcome aboard dwhyte2!

Get the boat surveyed and make sure they do the engine's. Great Boat. 4Kva should be fine.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:22 PM   #3
Lieutenant

Love our '96 3200 SCR (which is similar to the 3300), but like all boats, it needs some TLC and quality time on a regular basis.

As said, get it surveyed. At least you'll have a "Honey Do" list. You may want to have a mechanic look at it too. Pressure test the drives, compression test, oil analyzed, etc...

Some of our issues were:
Leaking bellows
Bad cockpit and transom shower faucets
2 broken acrylic hatches
Shower sump failed (A/C condensate then overflowed and stained the carpet)
Swim ladder was bent (must have hit the pier)
One of the shifters was real stiff. Had to pull the drive to repair it
Had to upgrade the batteries and charger
Electric toilet pump smoked and had to be replaced
The A/C fresh water pump died
The A/C circuit board got fried by a voltage spike (lightning). Manufacturer is out of business.
Ice maker not functioning
Had to add numerous cup holders in the cockpit
Had to retrofit a holding tank vent filter in the vent line (easy)

There are way too many places to stach stuff LOL
I have to exit the V-berth via the dinette. Not a big PITA, but annoying when it's dark and you have a 10-100 (CB code)
It's hard to unlatch the transom door while the cockpit cover is on, but if you move the latch up, it tears up the seat cushion. (Thanks previous owner)
People keep hitting the fold away cupholders by the bow steps (I don't know if yours has them)
Make sure the all the compartment drains are connected and clear (as well as the vents).

If it doesn't have one already, get a trumpet horn. Mine is mounted on the side of the radar arch aimed slightly downward.
Be prepared to change the windshield wiper blades every year.

Hope this helps. Good luck and enjoy the new boat!
AlwaysSober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:46 AM   #4
Lt. JG

Be prepared to change the windshield wiper blades every year.

Hope this helps. Good luck and enjoy the new boat![/QUOTE]

Looking to do the same in the next couple years. Some of the same issues with my 2800SCR.

As far as replacing the wipers, I thought I would share a trick from a friend of mine. Take a piece of standard pipe insulation(basically a 1" mini foam noodle) Cut it to fit the wipers and put them on there for 90% of the time when you do not use the wipers. When you need the wipers, simply pull them off. Extends the wipers life by 3-5 years.

Ryan
rcswando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:44 PM   #5

I buy a winter blade over the winter and hold onto it. I use the ones that are completely wrapped in a rubber sheath. I find when you're taking a lot of water on the windshield in rough seas, or in a very heavy rain, a standard blade sometimes does nothing more than run a large volume of water over the entire blade. The winter blade have about a solid 1 1/2 inches of profile and it does a better job of moving large volumes of water. A blade is cheap, when visibility blows, I don't care that I spent an extra 8-10$ per year on a new blade.

AlwaysSober, that sounds about right. everything you decribed is pretty much standard manintenance. stuf dies on a boat, particularly pumps.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:19 PM   #6
Ensign

I am a second owner of a 2002 SCR 3300 with about 400 hours on it. I do love the boat but there are a couple of things which I would check out. The first is the engine couplers, the original from factory are aluminum (( would change for steel )) and can wear out easily at a cost 350-500 for the part and labor to replace is 2.5-3k per engine (have to pull engine to replace). I have no issues with the electric system, plumbing, or engines. ALWAYSE get a survey when buying, this helps but may not catch everything. I would recommend this model boat and good luck on finding yours.
tmk216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:39 PM   #7
Lieutenant

Oh, and fuel injection. My carbs suck the fuel big time!
Old 09-16-2013, 07:11 PM   #8
Ensign

I have a 1999 3300 scr. Love it. It cruises at a good speed. A little noisy but most cruisers are when twin engines are at full rpm. Lots of space for things in the living areas. Too much space, because we keep bringing stuff up on weekends an it never makes it way back home

Great boat for living in, on the weekends. Bought a mattress for aft cabin area and use it full time as a second berth. Front Bert a bit uncomfortable so we bought a 4 inch matters foam pad, to add to the thickness of the original mattress, and cut it to shape. My 3300 does not have a city water hook up, so I have to fill the tank, every couple of weekends, especially after doing many dishes.

We have lived on it every weekend, for the past 4 years, April through October. Handles Lake Erie, even in 6 footers that are close together.
eohan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:00 PM   #9
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by eohan01 View Post
I have a 1999 3300 scr. Love it. It cruises at a good speed. A little noisy but most cruisers are when twin engines are at full rpm. Lots of space for things in the living areas. Too much space, because we keep bringing stuff up on weekends an it never makes it way back home

Great boat for living in, on the weekends. Bought a mattress for aft cabin area and use it full time as a second berth. Front Bert a bit uncomfortable so we bought a 4 inch matters foam pad, to add to the thickness of the original mattress, and cut it to shape. My 3300 does not have a city water hook up, so I have to fill the tank, every couple of weekends, especially after doing many dishes.

We have lived on it every weekend, for the past 4 years, April through October. Handles Lake Erie, even in 6 footers that are close together.
It was easy for me to add a water hook-up to our 3200 SCR. Let me know if you want details.