Old 04-02-2021, 08:30 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default Looking at a 3000 / Venting

We've spent the whole winter shopping for an upgrade to our 2400 SCR. Not because there is anything wrong with it but because we liked it so much and spent so many nights on it in 2020 that we decided we want to move up. Definitely staying with Maxum. Did look at EVERYTHING else and Maxum is definitely our favorite lineup.

problem is our slip. every boat we find is about 1ft too long for our slip. It's 28ft which allows 2ft overhang aft but nothing over the dock. which means 30ft from pulpit to tip of swim platform.

We found a GREAT 2700 SCR that's perfect condition, on touched/modified except for great maintenance for $25k but it tips out at 31ft LOA.

So now we are looking at a 3000 that is for sale in our area for basically the same price with a 33FT LOA because it looks like no matter what we are doing we are going to have to move up in slip size.

But finding a slip in Puget Sound? damn near impossible. most of the marinas within an hour drive are quoting me up to 3 year waits.

Old 04-02-2021, 09:01 PM   #2
Lt. Commander

A lot of people bought boats during covid. When I first got into my slip a couple of years ago, there were multiple spots open. Now it's 100% full. I'm in Texas. I love my 2700 SCR. It hangs over and is about to hang over a bit more after my new swimplatform arrives. Good luck with your search.

golfwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 09:06 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

The 2700 is actually perfect for us. my slip neighbor has one and the extra beam and cabin height is more than plenty and why I would have bought this other 2700. But since it costs the same as the 3000 and both require a bigger slip I was sorta put in a position of... why not? Out here the 3000+ boats cost about the same as the 2400 to be honest. once they lose their trailerability they really seem to depreciate fast.

What part of Texas? I used to spend a lot of time down around Lake Travis and Lake Georgetown.
Old 04-02-2021, 09:13 PM   #4
Lt. Commander

I did my open water scuba at Lake Travis. I'm near Denton. We keep our boat in Lake Lewisville.

I went with the 2700 because it was about the largest single engine boat I could find. I'm not going to lie, I kind of wish I had the handling of the two engine boat. When backing into the slip, a cross wind can really grab the bow. I'll probably put in a bow thruster next year. Maybe I just need to learn to drive better, haha.
Old 04-02-2021, 09:19 PM   #5
Lt. Commander

hmm good point. the 3000 I'm looking at is a single engine, might be underpowered now that I think of it. although bow thrusters would be fun. This is the boat that caught my attention this morning, they just listed it and I'm already emailing the owner:
https://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/b...300542912.html

I had a customer down in round rock and my employee moved to Hutto for a while. My brother was a combat medic so he did some time in San Antonio as well but I never made it up as north as Denton. Someday I'd love to see the area. My wife really wants a "real" Texas trip lol She's never been. I figure 6th avenue in Austin probably isn't going to give her the TX experience but I know we'll have to visit Waco probably
Old 04-02-2021, 09:21 PM   #6
Lt. Commander

one thing that's sorta ironic is that I love the sleek look of the 2000+ models without the pulpit and the pulpit on this 3000 looks twice as long as the one on my 2400, lol. but generally speaking it looks like a really well cared for boat.

The 2700 is beautiful that I'm looking at but it's on the other side of the state and will push me over the slip size limit anyways so at the end of the day the 3000 actually ends up cost me less money than the 2700
Old 04-02-2021, 09:29 PM   #7
Lt. Commander

I would probably take her to Fredricksburg. It's pretty Texas country and plenty of things to do. If she likes wine, they have wineries there too.

That 3000 looks to be in great condition. I'm with you, I don't love the long pulpit, but I'm sure you will enjoy it either way. I have a 2003 model.
Old 04-03-2021, 05:19 PM   #8
Admiral

Why not back the not in to the slip. Easy access to the stern. Does the marina not allow the bow to extend past the end of the slip?
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 02:58 PM   #9
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
Why not back the not in to the slip. Easy access to the stern. Does the marina not allow the bow to extend past the end of the slip?
As it turns out, this boat sold about 5 minutes before we arrived to see it but I was still grateful to the owners to allow us a tour so I could get a feel for the size and layout of the 3000. It's perfect. I have a lot of questions regarding how much you can restore the gelcoat on a boat that's been uncovered for so many years though. it seemed quite oxidized at best. has a very nice canvas, but needs serious mildew cleaning. The boat itself has not been otherwise neglected though, the interior and cabin were beautiful and the helm looked great. The motor only had something like 440 hours on it and the new block only had 4 hours on it.

At my marina, the dock is shaped a it at an angle so I really need to to in bow first, if I were to back the stern in I can't square up and it would push me out about another 2 feet I think unfortunately.

These folks offered to let us keep their slip as long as we needed had we bought their boat. My local Marina has a number of options on the waiting list that go from about 1-3 months to 1-3 years so I could definitely grab a slip and keep upgrading slips over time as more ideal spots open up it looks like.
Old 04-05-2021, 04:05 PM   #10
Captain

Personally, I wouldn’t entertain a single engine 3000.
I have twin 5.0’s in mine and it’s a good all-around power package.
Twin 5.7’s would be my next choice, but none were available when I purchased mine.
That’s 440hp vs the 7.4 with only 330 or so.
There is also the maneuverability part. At 33ft overall, it’s a bit big to be running it like a little runabout. The twins offer much better low speed handling without needing to add an expensive bow thruster.

Just my opinion...others are free to disagree 8-)

John
jparsons121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 06:34 PM   #11
Admiral

I agree that is a lot of boat for a single engine.
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 06:50 PM   #12
Lt. Commander

oh yes, I was a tad concerned about the single engine on this size. I WANTED the single engine in the smaller one but I was concerned about not only it's ability to move the boat, but also docking. I won't really have to worry about that apparently since it sold though lol.

Either way, I am grateful to have been able to get on it though. I'm pretty sure my wife and I will be moving to 3000+ on the next boat since a 2700 is already large enough to force us into a bigger slip anyways.