Old 02-19-2008, 04:15 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default Launching from a bunk trailer (1800 sr3)

I have a new Maxum 1800 sr3 sitting on a Karavan bunked single axle trailer.
Previously had roller trailers, so be interested in learning of practical tips for launch & recovery on these trailers.

Seems to be 2 main variants:

#opt a
Reverse down slip stopping short, boat is just in water, unhook strap, and reverse smartly, jam on brakes .. and boat slides off trailer, somebody controls by holding painter.
Recovery by submerging bunks fully, lining up boat and winching on.

#opt b
Boat manual states, put boat in water until water is just up to wheel arch, start engine and reverse it off.

Recovery is a drive on, obviously need to get speed right to get it far enough up trailer.

#opt c
As shown in Owner DVD ... reverse in until boat is 'just' floating, and push it off trailer.
Recovery is to put trailer in water to 1/3 of bunk length, and pull trailer in place, and winch up

Be interested in anybody has practical experience of launch & recovery of boats on bunked trailers.

Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 05:30 PM   #2
Commander

Quote:
....and reverse smartly, jam on brakes .. and boat slides off trailer,...
Then if you have an engine that won't start, you now have to get it back on the trailer and out of the way until you figure out what the problem is. I also don't like the idea of reversing smartly and jamming on the brakes at the ramp.

If you submerge the bunks fully while retrieving. The boat will float off sideways in a cross wind or current.

I use option B everytime.

Quote:
Recovery is a drive on, obviously need to get speed right to get it far enough up trailer.
Your speed is not that critical. As long as you are close, you can winch it up as far as you need to (that's my wifes job ).

You can always ease up the throttle slowly to creep up if you need to. Many ramps don't allow this type of loading. The prop wash will over time erode the end of the ramp area.

Here I am doing the option B thing.

MMSI# 338052622
tglee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 06:35 PM   #3
Lt. JG

I also use optB works like a charm just don't shink the trailer to far or you'll be floating all over the place. If you look at the picture you'll see how far the trailer should be in the water.

Good luck and have fun
Barney
BKUMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 07:22 PM   #4
Lt. Commander

Opt B. seems the way to go then

have any of you guys used the 'slippery bunk covers' ? or are they unnecessary.
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:20 PM   #5
Commander

I have never personally used them. But, I have been told sometimes they work too well. They are very slippery. This skipper was trying to launch using option "A" and the boat slid off too soon. Many tournament bass fishermen do it like this. I just think it is too dangerous.

MMSI# 338052622
Old 02-20-2008, 10:49 AM   #6
Lt. Commander

Send a message via MSN to Brit Rider

I like to get the trailer and boat into the water, so the whole drive is in the water; start it up then get the car to back a little more (2ft ish) and apply the brakes so the boat gracefully departs the trailer - having the boat in a light reverse sometimes helps.

For getting it back on the trailer; get the trailer fully submerged so that the rear car wheels are getting a bit wet, then just drive the boat onto the trailer... needs a bit of power so it'll slide all the way up but if you fall short just give it some beans and it'll get there. little to no winching required!

8)
Old 02-20-2008, 07:26 PM   #7
Commander

Brit,

If you fully submerge the bunks. Don't you have a problem with the the boat floating off and drifting in a current?

MMSI# 338052622
Old 02-20-2008, 08:16 PM   #8
Lt. Commander

Send a message via MSN to Brit Rider

The boat should still be resting on the bunks lightly but the drive in the water.... 8)

I should probably add that the winch should still be attached at this point.. only unhitch when the engine has started and you're ready to 'dump' the boat off the trailer.