Old 10-09-2016, 12:55 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default I've got Eelsnot on my outdrive, Eelsnot on my water line.

Sounds like a song eh? Thought since I just hauled out and finished the winterization on "isdoo", that I would let you guys know how the test with the Eelsnot went.

My boat (Maxum 2755SCR), and my compound neighbour's boat (32' Rinker) were used. Back in the spring, I ordered a container of Eelsnot from the inventor in Florida. I also ordered a small container of the Eelsnot Gear Protector. We applied the product according to the instructions.

We are amazed at the job it did over the extremely hot dry summer we experienced up here. His dual, and my single outdrives may have had 4 or 5 zebra mussels between them and that was it. Other years, our outdrives are almost totally encrusted with the mussels. Both boats had clean waterlines with no sign of any growths whatsoever. We both noticed as well that all our fenders were also clean yet we hadn't used any Eelsnot on them. Thought that was strange. All of our non Eelsnot using mooring neighbours had outdrives covered with the mussels, and their fenders all showed green staining on them (again - same as we used to have other years). Their waterlines were a combination of green slime, scum, and God knows what else, and ours were clean. WOW!!!

Anyway, we are both very impressed with this product and how it works. It will now become an annual spring ritual.

There were a couple of others on this site that thought they might try using Eelsnot. Did you and how did it work for you???

jimq26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 01:23 PM   #2
Admiral

Very interesting, thanks for sharing.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 01:01 AM   #3
Captain

The guy who makes it is actually here in southeast Virginia. I put it on the bottom of my hull after fresh hard anti fouling paint and have had absolutely zero barnacles or other growth. However, I can't keep the barnacles off my drives and trim tabs. Even reapplied the beginning of September and I'm still having to scrape barnacles off. Not sure what I missed. I emailed the owner my results but he didn't respond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
speedysprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 10:25 AM   #4
Lt. Commander

Did you use the Eelsnot Running Gear on your drives?

We did, and since we are talking metal (outdrive, trim tabs, hydraulic cylinders), we found the application of the special gear stuff did work. No zebra mussels, slime or other crud. The gear stuff was a totally different composition to the Boat Therapy stuff.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:15 PM   #5

I get a yellow haze above the water line for 3-4 inches. I tried Eelsnot this year. Unfortunately, it did nothing for my problem. I suspect it needs to remain underwater to be effective. Or else it is simply not effective against whatever is in the river that causes this staining.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 01:51 PM   #6
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimq26 View Post
Did you use the Eelsnot Running Gear on your drives?

We did, and since we are talking metal (outdrive, trim tabs, hydraulic cylinders), we found the application of the special gear stuff did work. No zebra mussels, slime or other crud. The gear stuff was a totally different composition to the Boat Therapy stuff.
I used the gear stuff. I didn't put in on my bare stainless trim tabs back in June, but I did in September. No difference in the barnacle growth. The drives had it on in June and reapplied in September. The drives also had an anti fouling drive paint on them, too, so looks like I don't need to waste money on that stuff again since it didn't stop the barnacles either.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:28 PM   #7
Captain

So I had more of this stuff, so I put it on yesterday as the boat goes in tomorrow. And I came up with a way to apply it in like 1/4 the time it took me before. Last year, I rubbed the rag in the wax, then on the hull. Did like 4"x4" at a time before needing to get more wax. This year, I popped the whole piece of wax out of the container and rubbed it directly on the hull, then went back to rub it in. Went on thicker, too. So we shall see how this works...
Old 04-29-2017, 09:19 PM   #8
Lt. Commander

That sound like a plan. Much faster way for sure.

I still have a couple of weeks to finish my waxing etc, so will get my hired help to put on the Eelsnot at the water line this year for me. After I show him how of course.

Now then, I lent the Eelsnot Running Gear stuff to one of my neighbours in the yard and can't remember which one.