Old 06-21-2011, 11:28 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Default Inflatable kayak?

So I was out at the local anchorage this past weekend and saw some folks go by on paddle-boards and rigid hull kayaks they had carried out on their boats - neither of which would be conducive to easy transport on my 2500SCR. It looked like fun and allowed them to get in some of the areas too shallow for anything else. I remembered seeing inflatable kayaks online a while back and thought these might be the way to go as they are relatively lightweight and could be stowed easily. Does anyone out there have experience with these in general or this particular brand?

http://www.seaeagle.com/SportKayaks.aspx

seaman-recruit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:41 AM   #2
Lt. Commander

Location: Liberty Lake, WA... moored on Beautiful Coeur D' Alene Lake, ID

I put an inexpensive Sevylor-brand kayak on the foredeck of my 2001 model 2900 SCR. Fully inflated I think it's over 10 feet long, but it stays (inflated) there nearly every day. Found it on Craig's List here in the Spokane, WA Area last year for $60 to replace one I "inherited" from my folks who upgraded to a higher quality one---used THAT one so much we literally wore it out! Truth is the darned PADDLE cost more than the kayak, but when my boys and I go for rides in it we have a blast. You're correct... slipping into coves and "hidden" creeks and rivers where we boat primarily (Coeur D' Alene Lake, ID) is really cool. This Sevylor model (no longer manufactured I'm told) has a 300 lb weight rating, but we've put nearly 500 lbs of people and gear in it and it's done just fine. The model you're contemplating would be GREAT to have, but if I had to do it over again I'd buy two hard-shell units and deal with them up both up on the foredeck of Endless Summer (securely tied down). Granted we've been told we look like the Clampets cruising with a JetSki in tow, my wife's "floaties" tied to the roof of the bimini, mountain bikes out on the bow pulpit, the kayak out on the foredeck and a cooler occasionally out on swim platform!---but we don't want for stuff to do when we arrive @ an anchorage, buoy or marina! Inflating and deflating everytime would be a pain I think, which is why we just leave her tied up on the bow/foredeck area while underway. Attached are a couple pictures of it for your "entertainment".
Attached Thumbnails
Kayak#1.jpg   Kayak#2.jpg  

Old 06-22-2011, 01:57 AM   #3
Lieutenant

Hey Captain Jed Clampet - don't forget granny's rocking chair!

Thanks for sharing the insight and the pics Jeff - looks like the boys are happy to have dad doing the paddling. Sea_Eagle makes 2 sport models - one is 11' 2" (SE330) and the other is 12' 6" (SE370). I would probably go with the latter based on the reviews I've read where the extra leg room was handy if 2 adults were on board. Unfortunately I don't think I have enough fore deck room for that length so will likely be in the inflate/deflate camp but oh well.
seaman-recruit is offline   Reply With Quote