Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-06-2020, 05:14 PM   #1
Ensign

Default In the market for a new A/C, but don't know much... suggestions?

Hello everyone!

I just recently bought a '96 Maxum 2700 SCR. Just this last week I purchased a Raymarine MFD (Axiom Plus) and a few other items from a marine retailer, Citimarine Store, and received some points back. I bought the Maxum knowing the A/C was shot, and got a good deal on it.

However, now, I figure since things are cooling down, there are deals on marine A/Cs, and I could use my points at this retailer to save further. Thing is, I don't know much about marine a/c. I figure it'd have to be a smaller unit than average: https://citimarinestore.com/en/184-marine-air-conditioning-boat-ac

Any suggestions on what brand type / size I should go with? What would you go with? Is there even an option here that would work with my boat?

Thanks

JacksonvilleJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 09:09 PM   #2
Lt. Commander

Whatever brand make sure the condensate tray is stainless and no carbon steel on anything sitting in the tray. (You would think this is obvious).

My Maxum 2900 had a 12k BTU Mermaid. It was sized well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yahoo82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 12:04 AM   #3
Captain

I put a new vector turbo 16k in my 3000 a few years ago and love it. Much quieter than the previous unit and it has a fiber reinforced plastic tray. No rust.
jparsons121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 02:00 PM   #4
Ensign

Looks like the tray material is very important... okay, thank you gents, I'm going to take this into consideration when looking at the different brands.
JacksonvilleJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 04:17 PM   #5

The more popular manufacturers are Dometic (Marine Air Systems) and Webasto. The former the most common. I'll assume by your name that your possibly in Florida?? If you're in a northern climate, I would strongly suggest the dual heat/AC model.

I'm a fan of Marine Air Systems, but mostly because that is all I've ever owned. You probably want to size your unit larger if you're in Florida. A 6K would probably be fine for a 2700 in New England, but will probably struggle in Florida.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote