Old 08-25-2011, 08:04 AM   #1
Lieutenant

Default Hurricane Irene

Hi Folks,
My 2100sc3 is at Clinton Marina on the top rack of a 4 story rack system. As far as I know it's just sitting on 2 boards and I don't think the Marina straps them down. The boat is insured and I thought about picking it up and bringing it home yet I will then worry a tree will drop on it. The Hurricane is suppose to hit Sunday as a Catagory 2 w/ 80 to 100mph winds. The Marina has not contacted me telling me to move it and I have not called them because they are busy pulling boats from the water. What are your thoughts?

Thanks, Dave

Smithbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:04 AM   #2
Lieutenant

I think I'm taking mine of the lift today and putting it on the trailer. You should be fine, but if you have the means to get it off the rack I believe I would.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:23 AM   #3
Lieutenant

Thanks, it would be a project but I guess I could, just no place to put it. They don't have space for me to leave it in the open. Plus they may get flooded.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:41 AM   #4
Captain

hai dave,

i don't know how you are insured and if they will pay out if your boat will be hit by a hurricane/tornado.....but i would take all the precoutions to be as much as sure that my boat is safe (as far as possible)

greatz, ed
ed & inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:03 PM   #5
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

It's a tough call Dave but I know I'd be nervous as hell if mine were sitting up that high with those projected winds and not knowing if the rack was engineered to withstand those winds. Is the rack covered? If not, and if there is a lot of rain, I'd guess at least some of those racked boats are going to get a lot of water in them unless all the garboard plugs are pulled. Probably doesn't matter much where on the rack it is though - if it goes down it's likely everyone gets damage.

Maybe there is a storage facility that you can rent space from for a few days? Seems the hassle of replacing the boat would be far greater than the hassle of pulling it.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:08 PM   #6
Admiral

I'd get that thing off the top rack for sure.....but that's just me

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:28 PM   #7
Lieutenant

Thanks for the advice, I'm going to see what I can do and hope for the best. I would think the Marina would tell me to come get my boat if they felt it was in danger. Its an exposed outdoor rack and I have my camper top on it with all the plugs out to drain any water. What pisses me off is that I only had it out twice this year because I have been so freaking busy! I was hoping for a nice September and Fall cruise down the Connecticut river to burn up the full tank of gas before winter comes.... Damn Hurricanes!!
Old 08-25-2011, 01:37 PM   #8
Lieutenant

Click image for larger version

Name:	rack.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	386.7 KB
ID:	1567 This is the place with the arrow pointed to the rack.... Ugggghhh It's an hour and a half drive one way for me with no time off!
Old 08-25-2011, 02:00 PM   #9

SMithbrother, I'd be doing two things. First, I'd call my insurance agent to verify everything is in order in regards to the policy and coverage. I'd also discuss the liability in regards to who's policy would be covering damage yours or the marina/storage facility. Second, i'd be calling the marina/storage facility to discuss their insurance and coverage, as well as their recommendations for storm preparation. More than likely, should a claim occur, even if you made it with your policy, if it occurred in the storage facility, your insurance will more than likely go after their insurance. However, that being said, i would check with your agent and, if necessary, have them check with the underwriter of the insurance company for further verification.

Ultimately, i'd rather havd a claim go against the marina/storage facility rather than my own. I'd rather realy on my own to cover any gaps or denial of coverage from the marina. If you are going to put the boat on a trailer, then there are some good storm tips, like chalking the tires, strapping down the trailer with helical coils, filling the hull with water to add weight. Keep the boat from trees and, if possible, park it where a structure can block windage, if possible.

I'd suggest anyone in the path of the hurricane call their agents to verify coverage. You'd hate to find out a check was lost in the mail or failed to be processed at a time like this. even check to see what they cover, such as what they consider 'reasonable means to secure the property' in order to qaulify for coverage. Whatever you do, take pictures of how you secured the boat ahead of time to record the condition and the means of securing for insurance purposes prior to the event. It never hurts to be safe.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:00 PM   #10
Lieutenant

Looks like they're revised the track to come even closer to Balt/Wash area. Boat is definitely coming out today.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:32 AM   #11
Lt. JG

Pulled mine Thursday one of the first out. So glad now but worried about wind damage and how high the water will get even though it's in the parking lot. On the Elk River on the Upper Chesapeake.
Timski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:48 AM   #12
Lieutenant

The Marina called and said they wanted to remove the camper top. I asked if I should just come and get the boat and they said it should be fine.... fingers crossed!
Old 08-29-2011, 02:50 PM   #13

I left my boat in the water at the marina (Eastern CT). All I can asy is I'l never do that again. Somehow, by some miracle, there didn't appear to be any damage to our boat, short of a bent hand rail that tied a fender to. Fixed docks at the mouth of a south facing river. Wind and surge was pushed striaght up the river. 4+ ft. breaking waves and at least a 4.5 ft. storm surge. She passed at basically high tide, so it was the worst possible time. The main docks were under 2-2.4 ft. of water. We went down to marina just as the storm made landfall. There was no way to get out to the boats to try to fix lines. As both the tide receded and storm began to pass we managed to get out on the docks. Lot's of dock rash everywhere. Many who left their cavas up came back to it in tatters. many snapped dock lines. Lots of smashed up rub rails and some fiberglass damage on a few. We watched in horror as the boats on moorings started dragging. Most slow enough to ride out the storm, though a few were slowly dragging towards the docks. A few parted their pendants leaving at least one washed up on a small rocky island and a 60+ wooden schooner washed up on the beach next tot eh marina.

Somehow I managed to retain all 17 lines 8 fenders and no evidence of rubbing on the pilings short of a bent handrail. Trust me, I was rubbing against the dock, but somehow the fenders seemed to be placed and held all of the impact. The boats were bouncing around like nothing I've ever seen. I was too stunned to even think to try to take pictures. I thought for sure she would be sunk by teh time I got out there. (PHEW!!)
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:22 PM   #14
Lt. Commander

Wowsers! Great to hear that you got through it with only an anxiety attack Shrew!! Musta been a sight.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:40 PM   #15
Lt. Commander

Great news Shrew. Hope we hear more stories like that.
Cymru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:49 PM   #16
Lt. Commander

How are you chaps getting on now? thought i would come and check as its on our news here in the UK, hope none of you took too much if any damage to boat or home!

Warpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote