Old 09-19-2020, 08:45 PM   #1
Ensign

Default How to load 2002 Maxum 2100 SR onto trailer

I just bought a 2002 Maxum 2100 SR and took it onto the lake this morning after installing a new engine. I know this is a stupid question but how do you load the boat onto the trailer? It’s a dual axle trailer with two bunks and the one roller up front for the bow. It’s the original Maxum trailer for the boat. Do I just drive the boat up onto the trailer? The reason I ask is because I just connected the winch strap and cranked it up onto the trailer. The problem was when I started to winch up the boat is that the bow of the boat was under the front roller by the winch. I literally had to lift the bow up with my shoulders for the boat to be above the roller. I’ve owned plenty of boat and have no problems but this was somewhat perplexing. When I backed the trailer in, I stop when the water is just above the fenders . Any advice would be greatly appreciated

petes2002maxum2100sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 12:52 AM   #2
Captain

Sounds like you need to find that sweet spot by going in a bit more or pulling a bit further out. Contact with the forward portion of the bunks should raise the bow and guide it up into the roller. If you are too far in, the bunks will still be barely touching and not helping.

Personally, I tilt the drive up and power load all the way to the bow roller. By tilting the drive up a bit you direct the prop wash out and not erode the end of the ramp. Plus it helps to raise the bow when powering on. I find I’m not dunking as deep when power loading as when using the winch either...

jparsons121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 11:58 AM   #3
Captain

I agree with jp that you may need to experiment with trailer placement on the ramp to find the spot that works best for you.
Bunk lubricant can help with loading. Next time you take the boat out, let the bunk carpet dry then spray it with bunk lubricant. Also check the routing of your winch strap, there may be a better way to route it.
I occasionally use a ramp that has too steep of an angle for me to properly recover my boat. I recover the boat best I can, then when on level ground tap the truck brake to get the boat to slide forward so I can connect the trailer chain.
jrsick is offline   Reply With Quote