Old 03-10-2010, 10:00 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Question horizontal mounting bracket-kicker size-fuel line on 1800MX?

Hello everyone. After being stranded and blown 3/4 mile down a lake last summer with our '07 1800MX 3L (bad ground wire as it turns out) and being a 5 hour ordeal to get home, I'm going to mount an 8 or 9.9 4 stroke kicker.

Any suggestions on whether or not an 8 is powerful enough? I will be using the boat in fresh and salt water. Don't plan on taking the boat out in massive seas, however, winds can pick up pretty quick.

Seems like the only option is to mount it on the narrow swim grid on the back but all the mounting brackets I see are meant to mount to a vertical or near vertical transom? Anyone know where I can find a horizontal mounting bracket? Not sure if I'll have to have one custom built locally.

As for running the fuel line: I'd like to tie into the existing gas tank. How best to do this? A separate line into the tank or putting in a T in the existing fuel line with shut off? Are there any pressure issues with this? Can I externally mount a quick connect on the back of the boat that the kicker fuel line can connect into, saving me having to drill a much larger hole in the back of the boat that would allow the connect to fit through?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and ideas,

Ken

chiroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:41 PM   #2
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Hi Ken,

Certainly just my opinion but going through the expense and effort of installing a small gas powered outboard in order to prevent getting stranded seems.....a little over board. No doubt, things fail but there are thousands of single engine boats that haven't ever experienced a disabling failure. Your 1800MX is fairly new so I'd chauk up the bad ground wire to simply bad luck. Instead of mounting a kicker I'd be more inclined to completely inspect the electrical system connections, as well as all other systems that support the operation of the boat. Ensure you have an appropriate anchor and enough line for the area you boat in. Cell phone, VHF and towing insurance just in case.

But, if I felt compelled to move forward with a kicker, I'd also bolt it to the swim platform. You're not talking about a lot of weight or power so, whatever bracket is needed, it certainly won't need to be very big. If you can't find one off the shelf it won't be very expensive to have one fabricated out of aluminum or stainless; a flat plate to bolt to the swim platform, another flat plate 90* to the first, some triangular braces between the two, done. Make sure you have enough space between the engine and the transom for when the engine is tilted forward out of the water. You'll also have to be certain that when it is tilted forward that the lower unit is completely out of the water while under way in all conditions. Take careful measurements.

I wouldn't tap into the existing factory fuel lines. Ever. The fewer connections between the tank's output and the engine the better, as more = additional potential failure points and fuel leaks, especially gasoline, scare the snot outta me. If deploying the kicker only in the event of main engine failure is the sole mission fashioning a "convenient" fuel line connection isn't necessary. Either carry along a 1 or 2 gallon plastic gas tank and a length of fuel line - with primer bulb. Disconnect the factory line at the tank and plug it, connect kicker line to tank and kicker, prime and pull.

Just my thoughts.

Dan

ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:03 PM   #3
Admiral

Dan
out here in the pacnorwest, alot of folks mount kickers onto the swim step for 2 reasons...1) trolling for salmon...seems the kickers are pushing the boats at the right speed to keep up with them....2) emergency engines...or get homes....

I witnessed this last yr when these oriental guys came into a marina we were staying at on a kicker cuz the coil died ...the engine was a mess but they got to someplace where they could actually work on the boat instead of drifting into the rocks ....

personally I've never had that happen too me ...well...once coming into a marina and the engine died...got someone to tow me to the dock.......but after that we never had a problem.....

there are several types of swim step brackets that lower the outboard into the water....a bit pricey....but would think that would be the way to go.....

you can also tie directly into the main fuel line but make sure you have double clamps on all connections...but also only if it's a 4 stroke engine....2 strokes you need to mix oil and that's not easy to do to the main tank...

sorry I can't offer a unit to use but I do see them all the time here..

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:42 PM   #4
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Understood Steve but, from what Ken described, this is a "get home" effort. If it'll be dual use - a trolling motor and get home, my opinion would be different. If Ken was going miles and miles off shore my opinion would be different.

As a back up engine though, just seems to me it's unnecessary given how reliable engines and supporting systems are these days and adding weight and complexity is generally the wrong way to go. A good maintenance program will catch probably 99.5% of issues issues before they render the boat disabled. Ken's other post about the ski pylon is another issue; the kicker will render the tow hook useless so now he'll have to engineer a stout mount for a X number of feet tall pylon in a location that I'm guessing wasn't designed to have one. Not that it can't be done of course.

Could certainly be argued, though, that I "can't relate" since I've never been stranded on the water but I maintain that an anchor, VHF/Cell, and towing insurance is far less hassle to get home in the unlikely event the boat is disabled.

Just my opinion of course!

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:04 PM   #5
Lt. JG

ss, all good points. Like seapuppy says, pretty common out here on the pacific northwest. I will have a hand-held VHF this season, thot I had myself covered with my cell (full coverage), which ended up being left on shore where we had beached for the day (lesson learned). If I go through the hassle and expense of kickers and brackets and never break down again, I'm OK with that. I'm not overly mechanically inclined and with my wife and 2 young kids aboard the kicker with give us piece of mind. I will be doing some salmon fishing as well and may use the kicker to troll, hopefully I can steer with my I/O as a rudder, might have to get an EZ steer, I don't want the expense of wiring a kicker.

Your idea of a kicker bracket I think is right on. I found a pic online of a custom one, pretty much what you describe. I will need to make some accurate measurements as the swim grid is quite narrow and that motor will need to be lifted as you mentioned.

I am leaning towards tapping into the main fuel tank, no where inside the boat to keep a gas tank (space is a premium on this one being a bowrider!) and I would have to rig up some sort of strapping to mount a tank also on the swim grid, something I'd rather not do.

Thanks for the input.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:18 PM   #6
Lt. JG

Yes, I should have mentioned the option of fishing with this kicker. Wasn't thinking of the fishing angle when I posted, apologies. And yes the kicker makes the need for a pylon another pain in the backside. The pylon won't be too obtrusive with its placement and I plan on using one that will unthread at the floor when not in use. Yes, I know, I'm trying to do everything with one boat. That's the only option I have at this point. Not able to have a fishing boat and a ski boat. Would be too hard on my pocket book and marriage, not in that order

Keep the suggestions coming, it is very much appreciated.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:21 PM   #7
Admiral

well...I'd certainly recommend 1) tow insurance ...and 2) a good VHF installed on the dash with an 8' antenna...handhelds have limited range...
if a kicker is going to be installed...then when skiing...it might be advantagious to remove the kicker so it's not in the way....
then replace when out playing or fishing....simple....just make sure you get a good 4stroke kicker ....
out here in the pacnorwest...we have a lot of water that sometimes won't have anyone around for long periods of time...so..it's not uncommon out here to have a kicker installed..
for some who have never been in this part of the world...we have so many places that a boater can get in trouble it isn't funny....and if you don't like the water..wait...it'll change in about an hr....
it's also not uncommon to tap into the main tank...a tee fitting and double clamps are recommended...
some people will mount the tank on the swim step with bungie cords....it holds it in place and it's accessable to refill when empty....

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 03-11-2010, 06:56 PM   #8
Lt. JG

Check Adventure marine for a bracket for your swim step if you want to go that way. They carry one that sounds like what you are looking for.
https://www.adventuremarine.net/prod...D=31&do=detail
A 7.5 to 9.9 outboard should work fine for a boat your size. I would suggest you get towing insurance. BoatUS has a great program for people on inland waters. If you are a member of BoatUS they have unlimited towing on inland waters for $37. It's well worth it. They paid for towing my boat last year that would have cost me $600 without the insurance. Check to see if they offer towing on your lake.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:48 PM   #9
Lt. JG

That site gives me I think exactly what I'm looking for. At $375 with the backing plate I think I will check with a local fabricator, the design certainly doesn't look too complicated. Now I have to determine if a long shaft kicker will get deep enough if mounted above my swim grid. How best to determine that? Is it how deep the prop sits or is it with relation to the bottom of the hull? How does one determine how to prevent cavitation? I'm not sure using this type of mount with get the prop deep enough. I'm not sure exactly how high my swim grid is off the water. Boat hasn't been in since the fall and I don't have "any" plans to put'er in before June. May have to though if I need that measurement.

Thanks
Old 04-21-2011, 05:14 AM   #10
Ensign

Hi chiroken,

Did you ever get the kicker mounted on the swim grid? I'm asking because I have a 2100 SR that has a similar (if not the same) backend and am wanting to do the same. If so, can you please post a pic? I plan on using it for a trolling, etc. and am in near the same environment that you are - just bit south in WA.

Thanks!
Dvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:05 PM   #11
Admiral

Dvader
welcome to the zoo.....

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 04-21-2011, 01:24 PM   #12

There have been a couple of threads on this topic. It looks like Chiroken has been working on this for a while. The thread updates are recent, so this is still relatively active thread. I'm guessing this has been a challenge for some time. My sympathies, this sounds like a project that may require some fabrication. Here are the related threads I could find on the subject.

http://www.maxumownersclub.com/forum...trolling+motor

http://www.maxumownersclub.com/forum...ghlight=kicker

http://www.maxumownersclub.com/forum...trolling+motor

You'll see in one of the posts, that I am in the 'against' column, but that was not the question and nobody asked me my opinion. Best of luck. Let us know how the project turns out.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:27 PM   #13

WOW!!! 1,115 views on this thread??? The MaxumBoatsParts thread (started in 2004) only has 1,300 hits. I'd say someone needs to figure out how to fabricate and manufacture these things. It seems there are a lot of curious people interested in installing something like this.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:50 PM   #14
Lt. JG

Red face very busy thread!

Yes, with over 1,100 views...is there a prize for that? Opened a pretty popular can of worms it seems.

To update: I have purchased a 9.9 4 stroke to act as my kicker and I had a friend's buddy make a mounting bracket for me for, yes, a case of beer! (gotta like friend's buddies). It will be mounted to the horizontal swim grid with a matching backing plate on the underside of the swim grid (inside the boat, about the fuel tank).

I had a water separator installed with 2 outlets so 1 will run to the kicker. They didn't put in a shut off valve so I plan on doing that. They put the bulb underneath too, it is hard to access, I might move that so it is exterior, closer to the motor itself. My problem is how to get the fuel line to the motor, not alot of options/vertical flat surfaces to drill a hole (and I hate drilling holes in my boat!). I might mount a connector somewhere so I don't have a loose hose sliding back and forth (not sure of the name of the connector, 2 male ends that thread together from either side of the wall and sandwich the wall). This will also let me drill a much smaller hole. Other hole I need is to run the charging system to the boat battery. I guess I don't have to hook this up and it will same a hole being drilled but at the same time the motor has it, seems a shame to not take advantage of it.

I am soon to mount the bracket as boating season is fast approaching. I will take some pictures and post them.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:49 PM   #15

Nice, let's see some pics when it's done. Judging by the hits, your buddy's buddy might have some work ahead of him.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:03 PM   #16
Lt. JG

Here are some pics I took, not yet mounted but I thought I'd show you what I've got. Hope the pics load correctly!!!

Back swim grid with holes drilled:

2 rubber "gaskets" to prevent rubbing and to take up the bit of space under the bracket due to the welded seam:

bracket set in place:

4 stainless bolts with round and lock washers and nuts. Can also see the plate with gasket to be used under the swim grid platform to strengthen the mount and eliminate possible bolt pull-through.

As I mentioned previously, I still need to figure out fuel line to the motor as well as charging cables to my battery...any ideas/suggestions?

edit: won't allow 5 pics, will drop one.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:57 PM   #17

Isn't the swim platform hollow? Can you run the line through the swim platfom from inside the engine compartment? I don't think you're going to be able to charge a battery or run electrical devices from a small pull start outboard.

Looks good BTW
Old 04-22-2011, 01:31 AM   #18
Lt. JG

I thought about running it thru the swim platform (yes it's hollow and accessible from the engine compartement) but I was concerned about having the line entering the boat on an exposed/exterior horizontal surface. The concern is water entering the compartment, even though it can be sealed of course, I'm just preferring a vertical surface.

The charging systems on these 4 strokes are specifically built to charge the main motor, that is why they are put on the kickers, unless someone can confirm otherwise. The kicker (while running) charges the main battery while the battery runs the electrical, downriggers etc.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:31 AM   #19
Admiral

make sure you seal the wood really well with resin epoxy.....then seal the bolts with 4200 silicone sealant....

can't answer the question about the charging with a small outboard....I just don't know much about em..

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 04-22-2011, 05:09 AM   #20
Lt. JG

Had planned to jam inside the holes and around each hole with sikaflex before mounting.