Old 03-14-2008, 12:37 AM   #1
Ensign

Default HI YALL NEW MWMBER

HELLO EVERYONE.
I AM BEAR A NEW MEMBER. I TAKE DELIVERY OF MY 1990 2500 SCR LATE NEXT WEEK. THE DEALER IS GOING THROUGH A PUNCH LIST OF THINGS BEFORE I TAKE DELIVERY.
NEW UPOSTERY INSIDE AND REPAIR OF TWO FRONT WINDOWS.
I PLAN ON BUYING A GENERATOR AND AIR CONDITION(CARRY ON HATCH STYLE) BEFORE THE FIRST OF THE HOT NIGHTS START.
MY FIRST QUESTION IS ...HAS ANYONE ADDRESSED THE PASSAGE TO THE SWIM PLATFORM. I HAVE A YOUNG GRANDSON AND AND CAN SEE HIM BAILING OUT THE BACK. ANY IDEAS?

Old 03-14-2008, 01:45 AM   #2
Admiral

Hi Bear, first off...welcome to the zoo..hope you continue to post here...second off...might wanna take the caps off...that's cyber for yelling at people and I'm not hard of reading....
finally congrats on the new boat...tell us about your boat....engine..drive..etc...as for the grandkid taking a walk...keep the kid in a pfd and it may not be a problem...ensure the stern gate is locked and finally ..you may need to keep a leash on the little germinator....along with the pfd and the leash..shouldn't be a problem...

just a note..ensure that you keep your CO monitors up to snuff and don't put the genny on the bow...keep it on the stern swim step......

and finally ..tell is about yourself....

Steve

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 02:51 AM   #3
Ensign

Default Safety Gate

Sorry about the caps. Thats lazy typing.
I have lived around boats all my life. I grew up on Philpott Lake in VA. and fished Smith Mountain as it filled. Then four years in the Navy. I started with Dupont in Martinsville VA. I transfered to Wilmington NC.for about 12 years. Alot of fish storys from there. Again I transfered to Research Triangele Park NC in 1984 and live a couple of miles from Falls Lake. I fish there a lot(small Bumble Bee bass boat) but really prefer Kerr Lake about a hour drive. I hope to get a slip at one of the marinas for the first year anyway. We plan on staying on the boat a lot and will use it more if its already in the water.
My boat has the helm seat and a L shaped lounge on the left then a step down to a level that has a small seat and rail in the center. You can step down to the swim platform on either side. So if you are behind the helm seat it is only a couple of steps to the two steps and water. It does not have a gate at the second step. I was thinking maybe of adapting something like by-fold shutters and a latch for a gate on each side of the small center seat. Unless someone had a better idea.duga That made me think I could just put one gate at the foot of the L shaped lounge.
Well thats probly more info than anyone would want about me. That my story and I am sticking to it.
Thanks for the come back.
Bear
Old 03-14-2008, 03:21 AM   #4
Admiral

Bear,
sounds a bit like me...been around the navy all my life growing up...been on,in over and under the sea at one point or another...after a stint in the AF for 6 yrs...I went to college and joined the dept of the navy in the engineering dept. working on overhauling nuke subs ..spent 17 yrs designing subs and surface combat ships....then moved up to washington state where I got hired on at boeing designing airplanes...bought a boat and now have a maxum 2700scr......

Glad to have you aboard....but...here's an idea...get some of that star board and a couple of stainless steel hinges..cut to size and screw them into the fiberglass with large backing washers and lock nuts...then use a lock to secure into place...starboard is easy to cut and shape with a file....

Steve
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 03-14-2008, 03:56 AM   #5
Ensign

Default 2500Scr gates

I will look into that. Once I can get the boat home and my hands on it, that may be a simpler way.
Sometimes I feel like a dieing breed ,I picked the company I wanted to work for and have stuck to it for 34 years sooo far.
Thanks for the advice
Bear
Old 03-14-2008, 07:51 PM   #6
Lt. Commander

Congratulations Bear not everyone gets the chance to work in one company for so long these days with so many going bust,enjoy you new toy and prepare to deepen you pockets,safe boating

ashley
Old 03-15-2008, 02:46 PM   #7
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by seapuppy
Bear,
sounds a bit like me...been around the navy all my life growing up...been on,in over and under the sea at one point or another...after a stint in the AF for 6 yrs...I went to college and joined the dept of the navy in the engineering dept. working on overhauling nuke subs ..spent 17 yrs designing subs and surface combat ships....then moved up to washington state where I got hired on at boeing designing airplanes...bought a boat and now have a maxum 2700scr......

Glad to have you aboard....but...here's an idea...get some of that star board and a couple of stainless steel hinges..cut to size and screw them into the fiberglass with large backing washers and lock nuts...then use a lock to secure into place...starboard is easy to cut and shape with a file....

Steve
You don't happen to be a fan of the late Champ Car series and F1 are you?

There is a well respected member on a racing board I post at that lives where you live and worked or works at Boeing. He's never mentioned boating though.
racer2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:50 PM   #8
Admiral

yep...big fan but I never went to any racing sites....I love champ car and F1...I just get tired of all the politics that have gone on in the past few yrs..
I used to be on a couple of racing teams in the early 80's and was the head wrencher for an under 2ltr CANAM team...I did all the engine and carb stuff.....I was also building and repairing sbc engines and corvettes.....
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 03-16-2008, 04:18 AM   #9
Ensign

Default MARINA

Well I now have a slip at the marina I wanted. I paid in full for this year.Now if I only had a BOAT. This is going to be a long week.
It was in the mid sixties today but cloudy. We are going to get a little more cold next week but not too bad. The next two weeks the temps will be all over the place so maybe it best to let them get everything right on the boat without me hurring them.
So a maybe on Friday or next week and it will be ready.
Later just stopped by to say Hi
Bear
Old 03-16-2008, 02:18 PM   #10
Admiral

congrats on the purchase of the new slip...welcome to the world of alot of fun and lighter wallets!!...remember...boat=break out another thousand

anyways...congrats and stop by here anytime!!...we always have to doors open!!...

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 03-19-2008, 11:06 PM   #11
Lt. Commander

Bear, nice of you to join us, We are here in Raleigh. The lake levels seem to be rising a little...thats a good sign
jhabers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:41 PM   #12
Ensign

HI and Thanks
Yes its nice to see the fish get a drink of water it was getting bad there for a while on Falls. I have been up to Kerr a few times this winter and Kerr did not get pulled down like Falls.
I live in Durham close to Rolling View. Which lake do you use or are you at the coast. I want tp pull mine down a couple of times this year. Maybe get to fish a little.
Do You know the Maxum 2500 out of Raleigh by the name "Turning Point"?
That is the boat I am buying. Looking forward to seeing Ya on the water.
Bear