Old 09-15-2009, 12:15 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Help with electronics and outdrive

Good morning to all,
I am new to the boating world and needs some guidance. I purchase a 1997 Maxum bowrider, it runs and rides great, but last night while on the water, when I would try to level her out on the water by trying to raise or hit the "Up" button on my throttle it would respond once in a while. The down portion of the button functions fine everytime I would hit it. As does the trailer function. Any ideas?
Also since I'm here, my Gas gauge does not function any ideas on whats the best way to check?

Thanks

mjweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:54 PM   #2
Lt. Commander

Default Re: Help with electronics and outdrive

If the trailer option raises/lowers the outdrive without a problem, then it’s probably the trim button itself. I'm not sure if it is a built in part of the throttle arm or a separate component but I would check the wiring there first. If the wiring appears to be fine, then my next logical choice would be to change the up/down toggle button (if it is a separate part which I am sure others can confirm).

Cymru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:01 PM   #3
Admiral

as stated..probably the up down button..but one of the easiest ways to fix it...is to shoot some wd40 into it...it might be a bit corroded inside....shoot some wd 40 and cycle the switch a bunch to clear it..if that doesn't work....then a new switch might be a fast order...it might also be the relay back in the trim pump...so..try that second...some wd 40 ...if that doesn't work..then a new trim pump relay may be needed....

gas gauge....check the wiring in the gauge panel for corrosion....that seems to be the worst enemy of the gauges...

welcome to the zoo...

SP :hello:
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:40 PM   #4
Lt. Commander

Also regarding the gas tank gauge, check that the positive wire is connected to the tank flange (assuming the setup is like my boat). A simple re-plugging it in got mine working.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:14 PM   #5

Out of curiosity, how were you observing the results of actuating the up and down trim button on the throttle? while underway? If so, I would be doing so more direct empirical observations:

With the motor off and the boat stopped, see if you can get someone to monitor the outdrive while someone else is at the helm:

Hit trim Down to make sure it is all the way down.
Then hit Trim UP until it stops (It should be only a portion of the way).
Hit the Trailer button to raise all the way up.
Hit Trim down to trim all the way back down again.

I would expect that Trim Up will hit the trim limiter and will only raise the outdrie a portion of the way. the Trailer button raises it the rest of the way (not all have seperate trim and trailer). the idea is to prevent you from acccidentally raising the outdrive out of water and cavitating while underway.

I may simply be a bit confused and misunderstood, my apologies.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 05:38 PM   #6
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew
Out of curiosity, how were you observing the results of actuating the up and down trim button on the throttle? while underway? If so, I would be doing so more direct empirical observations:

With the motor off and the boat stopped, see if you can get someone to monitor the outdrive while someone else is at the helm:

Hit trim Down to make sure it is all the way down.
Then hit Trim UP until it stops (It should be only a portion of the way).
Hit the Trailer button to raise all the way up.
Hit Trim down to trim all the way back down again.

I would expect that Trim Up will hit the trim limiter and will only raise the outdrie a portion of the way. the Trailer button raises it the rest of the way (not all have seperate trim and trailer). the idea is to prevent you from acccidentally raising the outdrive out of water and cavitating while underway.

I may simply be a bit confused and misunderstood, my apologies.

no thanks to all, i am going to try all of them this weekend.

mjweight is offline   Reply With Quote