Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-06-2016, 08:27 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Question Help requested: 2100SD trim fuse blows

Hi all:
I've had a great year with my Maxum until the last two weeks. While tooling about our lake, the trim decided not to raise. This caused big problems when pulling out of the water onto my trailer. (Welcome new Skeg guard)

I monkeyed about cleaning trim limit/sender units, checking wiring that I could see/feel, etc. Eventually I found the glass 20Amp fuse (near the trim pump solenoids) was burned out. I replaced the fuse, got into the water, and it blew again shortly afterward. I replaced again and it blew later that day. While the fuse is 'fresh' the trim raises and lowers as it should, but eventually it blows.

The shop says that they cannot identify the issue, so now I am really confused / frustrated. I asked if water could be responsible and they said they could take it to a lake and check, but that would add significant cost.

Could a solenoid(s) be bad, but still function? The trim pump and wiring look brand new, tight fitting bolts with black coating still protecting from the elements. Other than replace solenoids or pull the leg for 'fun', I am confused. I've read every post on this topic I can find, but none seem to describe my boat's problem. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Kevin

Old 09-06-2016, 09:59 PM   #2
Admiral

Welcome aboard

When the fuse blows you loose the ability to trim up and down correct?

This fuse is for the helm controls. I suspect the trim limit switch wires are bad and short to ground. Try locating the connectors in the engine compartment and disconnecting them to see if this resolves the fuse from blowing.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:31 PM   #3
Lt. JG

Hello:
Yes, sir. The throttle trim switch is dead. I read about the trim limit/sender and the shop dismissed the idea those wires would be responsible. I asked whether they checked the wires from the pucks and got a vague answer that it looked OK.

I'll do as you recommend this weekend when I get the boat back and can test in the water.

Thanks for posting!
Old 09-12-2016, 12:36 AM   #4
Lt. JG

Default Solved...and mmwjr is right again

I picked up boat from shop who apologized for not finding anything wrong and charged 118 usd for the one hour. I was frustrated and went home to look for the problem.
Within 30 sec found the wires from trim limit (left side of trim) had a fray and exposed copper wire. I disconnected the wires inside like mmwjr said. No blown fuse, and we had a nice final day of boating in MN.

Thank for the quick response and being a lot smarter than the Tracker Marine mechanics. Now to see if I get any refund...
Old 09-12-2016, 02:03 AM   #5
Admiral

Glad you were able to enjoy the weekend on the boat.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote