Old 03-10-2010, 10:15 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Question Help mounting ski pylon in floor of Maxum 1800MX

As I will be mounting a kicker bracket/motor I will not longer be able to use the factory eye to pull skiers/tubers (the kicker will be in the way of the rope when turning to that side).

I'm thinking of mounting the pylon right in front of the motor cover latch in the rear floor of the boat. To increase the strength of that floor mount I want to put a stainless or aluminum plate below the floor through which the mounting bolts will go. The area in question is not accessible. The rear of the ski locker is enclosed with the exception of the bottom drain hole and the area is not accessible from the motor area.

Does anyone know if that small area is open, free and clear under the floor or is there a central stringer in there that would block mounting a plate that would be perhaps 6-8 inches square?

My thoughts are to cut an oval in the upper rear wall of the ski locker large enough for my flat hand to fit so I can pass the lower plate through to mount the pylon, then re-glass the opening edges to prevent water damage.

Any help? I'm aware of the pylon pulling a tube controversy, that is why I want to beef up the mount. I'm pulling my 7 and 9 year old girls on single tubes (2 at a time). They ski as well (almost zero pull) and I want to be able to pull adults (either skis or wakeboards).

Thanks in advance,

Ken
chiroken is offline   Reply With Quote