Old 05-31-2019, 12:27 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Help me I'm an idiot LoL

So I bought a 1999 SCR23 (Has Merc 7.4 liter) yesterday. Never boated, decided to ride it 2 hours to my house. Got stuck on sand island for 1 hour, boat beeped and turned off. Called sea tow freeport, they were gonna charge me 950 bucks for tow. After waiting 30 minutes, I decided to reverse out, after a lot of tries I finally got out. Boat started to run right again. I got pulled over for doing 8 at a 5 mph zone, thank god cops were nice and congratulated me on purchase. The boat has been maintained unbelievably amazing. I checked oil after my 4 hour ride, oil looks like honey, good. Any recommendations other than slap myself, who knew I had to stay within the buoys lol Should I check out motor or bottom?

Matin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 12:44 AM   #2
Admiral

Welcome aboard

Get an IR temp sensor from an auto store or Harbor Freight and take readings of the engine and exhaust components. The exhaust is double jacked to cool with water. Running on the bar suck up silt that can damage the raw water impeller so taking temps will let you know if the cooling system is compromised.

Mike
mmwjr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 12:49 AM   #3
Ensign

Thank you will by Temp sensor. Temperature went back to normal and boat has two exhaust systems, one that I believe is under boat and other sounds like a american muscle car (turns on with button) I'll keep an eye on both.
Old 05-31-2019, 12:57 AM   #4
Lieutenant

As a first time boater you should consider a boater safety class and towing policy through a company such as boat us or sea tow. Might also be worth hiring a captain or a more experienced boater who is familiar with the waterways near you to take a few rides with you.
jayesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 01:01 AM   #5
Ensign

Thank you Jayeq, I bought sea tow immediately and when I got home Geico gave me a Boat USA membership. I've been watching a million videos after my traumatic experience but I will go out with my cousin who is a avid boater. Also I am considering taking a course or a certification course on boating. Thank you for the advice.
Old 05-31-2019, 02:00 AM   #6
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matin View Post
Thank you will by Temp sensor. Temperature went back to normal and boat has two exhaust systems, one that I believe is under boat and other sounds like a american muscle car (turns on with button) I'll keep an eye on both.
The quieter system is the standard Mercruiser which exists through the transom assembly the other exits above water. Once such system is captains choice which allows you to switch between the two exits. In both the exhaust manifolds and elbows are always in use.

Mike
Old 05-31-2019, 11:03 AM   #7
Captain

I recommend that you drain your block and manifolds into a jar to see if you have sand in your system. Remove the drain plugs and drain the water into a jar. Have a paperclip handy to poke up in the drain hole if you have a clog.
jrsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 01:16 PM   #8

There are two kinds of boaters; Those who've run aground and those who will run aground. You got it out of they way.

If the engine overheated and shutdown, you might want to consider replacing the impellor.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 03:25 PM   #9
Admiral

It's a new boat to you. Do a complete annual maintenance including the impeller so you have a base line of the condition.
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 03:36 PM   #10
Ensign

Guys I can't thank you enough for all the great tips, I will definitely do a bunch of stuff including flushing the system just in case, looks easy enough.
Old 05-31-2019, 04:57 PM   #11
Lt. Commander

Being a south shore boater you should probably change your raw water impellers every year since you will always pick up alot of sand. In addition I'd check your through hulls when the boat is hauled next. Typically there are wide gaps in the bronze cover but they make ones with small holes to prevent the sea grass found on the south shore from clogging your sea strainers. I'd consider installing them if you don'y have them already.
dbriceno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 08:32 PM   #12
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbriceno View Post
Being a south shore boater you should probably change your raw water impellers every year since you will always pick up alot of sand. In addition I'd check your through hulls when the boat is hauled next. Typically there are wide gaps in the bronze cover but they make ones with small holes to prevent the sea grass found on the south shore from clogging your sea strainers. I'd consider installing them if you don'y have them already.
Since the OP has an I/O the only below thru hulls he might have are for the head which won’t have a strainer and AC which would.

Mike
Old 05-31-2019, 08:39 PM   #13
Lt. Commander

good point

dbriceno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new boat owner, stuck on sand