Old 07-02-2007, 02:04 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Hello Noob here!! Dumb question

Hello all !!! Ok i just bought a 2000 maxum sc 2300 the boat is in very good condtion just needs some waxing. last used summer of 05 sea trial passed. Problems found batteries dead no big deal depth gage works off and on i think it goes from reading depth to ---- lines i dont have a clue what the lines mean . speedo does not work horn dosnt work, and it needs a good waxing. the mechaninc says the boat has under 70 hrs how can i check?? where is the hr meter????? Do any of you have an answer to any of the above issues??? :?

bmazz007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 03:33 AM   #2
Admiral

howdy noobie!!...welcome to the zoo..first off ...lets talk about the amount of time on the boat...unless you have an hr meter or is an mpi engine...you not going to know how much time is on the engine..and unless the mech. knows the boat personally...then there is no way to know how much time is on a boat...usually in some maxums..they put the hr meters in the bottom of the speedo....or in the engine bay ..kinda obvious cuz there will be black and white numbers....

now for the speedo not working...look down on the the leading edge of the prop leg..there is this little hole there...run a wire in there and try and clear the foul that is in there....if you can...use a long 1/4 inch dia. drill bit and try and clear the foul....up at the joint there is a small black hose that attaches to the leg..that's where the problem can be...if you can't clear the hole....when you drop the leg to replace the impeller ..you can clean the hole out then.....

depth meter...now ..sometimes there are water temp inversions that affects the depth finder....lines means deeper than 340 ft.....so..2 things can happen...one ..your in very deep water...like where I boat at...goes from about 25 ft to over 1400 ft in places....let me tell you that gets your attention quick....or when it goes from 149 ft to 3....but that is usually a temp layer or fish......as for the horn....alot of things can be affecting it..but the easiest is to check the pwr at the switch...if you get pwr there..then go to the horn with a meter...if there is pwr and no noise ..replace the horn....

welcome to the zoo.....stop by here anytime..

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 04:04 AM   #3
Ensign

Thank you puppy. the depth gauge is not from deep water thats for sure the deepest is around 40 feet. it seam to be in shallow water where the problem is.. Im going to look around at the engine to see if i can find a meter, the depth gauge came stock on the boat in the middle of the gauges the is a small LED i was wondering if that gauge is also the hr meter as well as depth...
Old 07-02-2007, 02:36 PM   #4
Lieutenant

I have the same -- across my original digital depth gauge. Hasn't worked properly for a year or so, depth of water dosent matter. I think its either the transducer but haven't had time to mess with it.
NWINMaxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 03:31 PM   #5
Admiral

lets talk about how the sonar depth sounder works....sound is transmitted from a thru hull transducer and points towards the bottom of the boat...if your bouncing sound down off the bottom...and hit a temperature inversion ..the sound can scatter and not return to the transducer...you don't get a return signal....the lines on your display inducates that it's is either too deep and beyond range...or your not getting a signal back...if you had no signal...no indication...then your not getting pwr to anything...then you have a problem......but your getting lines and that to me indicates the units are working correctly..but your hitting either way soft bottoms or temp inversions.....

and no there is no time built into the depth meter...that little one in the middle of your dash is strictly depth....

hope this helps.....
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 07-02-2007, 04:51 PM   #6
Lieutenant

I also have the 2300sc (2002) depth finder works fine, except once a few weeks ago I had those lines coming across, I was in 30-40 feet and all i saw were lines then 3 feet and then it worked fine...
I assume its either cause We had some real heavy schools of bunker at that time or because we had alot of garbage in the water washed in from some really high tides the night before.

My speedo is also very on and off, but I rely on my gps for acurate speed, i also use my fishfinder for depth readings (the day i saw those lines and 3 feet on my depthfinder I didnt have the fishfinder plugged in so I couldnt compare)..
MaxumNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 07:49 PM   #7
Lt. Commander

Location: Commuting weekly from South Central Idaho. Got Water?

A hardy welcome to 'the zoo' from me as well. Your boat is very similar to my 95 2300SC. Seapuppy caught most of your concerns. I have a Hummingbird thru hull depth system and I get random readings too. I just attribute to the quality of the system and thermoclines (the rocks will reveal themselves once hit).

As for your exterior issues, I tried a couple of products and found the Mequire's Marine 'One Step' cleaner/polish to work the best. I had heavy oxidation and this worked awesome. Around the edges and letters, I was able to work by hand with minimal effort (a very high requirement of mine).

Mine does not have an hour meter but will soon.

My speedo is dead on per my GPS.

Happy cruising to ya,

"If you look like your passport photo, you probably need the trip"
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 10:17 PM   #8
Ensign

Thanks for all your input !!! One more question what pitch prop should use on my 305 220 hp im spinning 4800 rpms and getting 40.2 mph with a 19 pitch prop aluminum what should i change to a 21 aluminum our a stainless ? I want to bring the rpms down a little to like and it would be nice to get a little more topend too.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:51 PM   #9
Lt. JG

Welcome to the club buddy. Dont forget those little items like your first aid kit, extra tools, spare parts, and maybe a hot pack for dead batteries.
Good luck with you new boat. Watch your WOT range when changing props and pitches. Let her rip !!
Old 07-06-2007, 07:30 PM   #10
Admiral

the pitch of the prop will drop or increase the rpm about 200 rpm with every inch of pitch..the higher the pitch...ie ..19 to 21" will drop your WOT from 4800 rpm to about 4400rpm...don't go below the manufacturers recommended range since it will cause the engine to lug..they like the engine to spin up tighter so as not to stress the engine....

good Luck and if it were me...I'd go with about a 19 cupped stainless....be aware that if you hit anything...the drive takes the beating...not too much on the stainless prop.......

Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang