Old 08-11-2015, 03:42 AM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default Head bowl cleaning chemicals?

Hi All, I'm just wondering if anyone has used any products like this on a marine head? The Admiral came home with them and asked if they would hurt anything on the boats systems?This particular one is the one that you stick to the inside of the bowl so the bowl wash down water activates the product. Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1439264427538.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	4314

0Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 12:18 PM   #2
Admiral

IMHO......I would stay away from these types of cleaners for a marine head. They might be OK and then they might cause your marine head hoses to fail premature.

Or by adding this chemical to your holding tank with the addition of the regular head chemicals you could create something you don't what.

I bet you could email this company and get their opinion one way or another. I just would stick to marine head approved cleaners.

Roger

biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 01:05 PM   #3
CGG
Lt. Commander

Go to West Marine and search for toilet bowel cleaner. Yes that will effect your system eventually.
CGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 01:25 PM   #4

Personally I wouldn't put any 'residential' products into a marine head.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 03:59 PM   #5
Lt. Commander

Thx everyone, you pretty much confirmed what I thought, but figured I'd ask! This is my first boat with a head and a holding tank. ... What products do you all use to keep the system clean and not smelling ripe!
Old 08-11-2015, 05:18 PM   #6
Ensign

Default Keeping Holding Tank Deodorized and Seals Lubed on Jabsco Head

I replaced the Jabsco Pump Toilet in my 2000 Maxum 2700SCR when I 1st bought it in Dec Jan of 2009. Since then I use the holding Tank deodorizer with the formaldehyde in it and also put a nice slug of Canola oil in with it. Keep the tank from smelling and keeps the seals lubed.

I also wipe some of the Canola Oil on the Pump Handle shaft which helps keep it pumping smoothly. Haven't had to replace the seals yet after 7 years of use!

We also don't flush TP or anything but human waste through it which also helps with the life of the seals.
Maxum2700SCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 03:20 PM   #7

Marine/RV holding tank chemicals. Pump out frequently, not JUST when its full. Contents should not sit in the tank for more than 5 days. Before pumping out, run a bunch of fresh water into the head and pump it back to the holding tank. This way the only thing in the sanitation lines is fresh, clean water. Once the pumpout is done, run more freshwater and the marine/rv holding tank chemicals.

We use about 2x the recommended amount of holding tank chemicals. Our preference is Dometic products. We avoid the 'All Natural' crap.

If your boat has the black sanitation line, then replace it with the white, non-permeable kind. The older black line is permeable over time.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 04:36 PM   #8
Lt. Commander

Thank you for the tips. .. Much appreciated!