Old 09-29-2009, 01:21 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Ground Fault reset

New to the board and Maxum - just purchased a 1998 3700 SCR. During the survey we were testing the ground fault switches and located the GFI reset for the port side on the outlet in the medicine cabinet. On the starboard side, we heard the switch "pop" but cannot locate the GRI reset so now the starboard outlet will not work - can anyone help?
Thanks

Timski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 03:11 PM   #2
Ensign

Default Re: Ground Fault reset

That outlet might be "slaved" to another outlet. Go through the boat and re-set every GFI outlet you can find. One of them might be popped. If the dead outlet is wired downstream from that, it will work once you re-set.

Ed

ewinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 05:38 PM   #3
Admiral

well...not knowing your boat...do you have a fridge in the cockpit??..a GFI in the midberth??...galley....salon???...gotta check each and every one....

Welcome to the zoo!!....

SP :hello:
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:51 PM   #4
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by seapuppy
well...not knowing your boat...do you have a fridge in the cockpit??..a GFI in the midberth??...galley....salon???...gotta check each and every one....

Welcome to the zoo!!....

SP :hello:

There is only one reset in the head that I can find. Most outlets say GFI but only the head has a reset. Help...
Old 09-29-2009, 11:24 PM   #5
Admiral

check the breaker on the AC panel...also there may be a breaker out near your batt switches...i doubt if that will control the ac outlets...if you have a fridge in the cockpit...some moron may have installed a gfi behind it.....that's the only places for a gfi on your boat...

where are you located...maybe one of our members is close by and can swing by...
SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 12:07 AM   #6
Lieutenant

are you shore there is 2 GFI, on my 1998 3000scr there is only 1 , may be the some GFI has triped out again
TonyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:57 PM   #7
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by seapuppy
check the breaker on the AC panel...also there may be a breaker out near your batt switches...i doubt if that will control the ac outlets...if you have a fridge in the cockpit...some moron may have installed a gfi behind it.....that's the only places for a gfi on your boat...

where are you located...maybe one of our members is close by and can swing by...
SP
seapuppy,
I'm in the MD/DE area if there is someone close by...
Old 10-13-2009, 03:54 PM   #8

I agree with SP, set the Outlet breaker at the panel to OFF, then back to on. I've seen breakers that don't look like they've been tripped, until you turn them off, then on again. Typically it doesn't 'click' OFF or present as much resistance when it's been tripped.

IF you have a seperate breaker for Outlets, Battery Charger, and Fridge, then I would expect that each, or at least most, would have a dedicated GFCI. Each breaker represents a dedicated circuit and each circuit will be completely independant. You can turn the outlets off, yet leave the batt. charger and Fridge on. You should be able to verify whether the fridge is on a dedicated circuit by shutting the fridge switch OFF inside the fridge. This should only shut off the 12v. If the fridge breaker is on while on shorepower the fridge should still be on even if the power switch inside the fridge is OFF. If you flip the Fridge breaker on and off, the fridge should turn on and off as well. (I would't shut it off then on quickly. The compressor may need a few seconds to ramp up/ramp down before you flip it back on/off again). IF the fridge still turns on when the Fridge breaker is on and the outlets breaker is off, then it is on a dedicated circuit and a GFCI behind the fridge (if there is one, is most likely NOT the candidate).

You could have a bad GFCI, but if that were the case, you'd have a reset button that isn't resetting.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote