Old 09-02-2009, 03:59 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default GPS

Hi All,

True to the words of Seapuppy its time to B.O.A.T (break out another thousand) and this time it is on a GPS unit. I've looked at several and I prefer the ones with a wider screen. I recently came across this one http://www.boatersland.com/cpv350.html which is a Standard horizon CPV350. It looks like it would make a nice addition and I was thinking about mounting it where the current VHF is (see picture below). So the questions are, number 1, do you think I would be able to read the screen from there? I guess it all depends on the angle that its mounted? and for question number 2, could I mount the antenna right above and center of the instrument panel to the right of the compass?

What do you think guys? Would this be a good solution or should I go with something else and just mount that where I'm asking about the antenna for better viewing? Obviously, if I don’t use the present vhf location, it’s no good since I don’t anticipate needing two vhf's.

As always, thanks in advance.

Cymru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:18 PM   #2
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Default Re: GPS

Definately not going to be useful, or be easily seen, way down there Cymru.

Having just installed a Garmin 541 on my 2400 SC3 I can tell you that having it mounted higher and closer to your line of sight is important. Easier to see, easier to reach the buttons.

I would mount it to the left and forward of the compass, to the right of the windshield support, in that little nook just behind the upper instrument panel if it will fit. It will be out of the way, easy to see and read, the unit's internal antenna will have a clear shot to the sats, all without messing up the clean lines of your instrument panel.

If you went to the right of the compass, forward of the upper intrument panel, I think it's going to be a long reach to the buttons and will be difficult to remove/install (since you probably don't want to leave it on the boat).

Regards,

Dan

ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:32 PM   #3

I agree with ss3964spd. That is where mine is mounted. Although, technically, that spot is "AFT" of the compass, as there is no space between the compass and windshield "Forward" of the compass.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:41 PM   #4
Admiral

LOL, thanks for the correction Shrew. That's what I get for typing too quickly.

Dan
Old 09-02-2009, 05:34 PM   #5
Admiral

for the life of me....I can't figure out why anyone would put something like the gps or the vhf down at your knee....when I drive...most of the time I stand...only cuz it's hard to see the bow when seated or especially when docking..with the engine running..how can you hear the radio??...or when you want to check the gps or make adjustments to the gps...your going to have to stop or bend over...not good to do when your speeding along at 20mph on the water...

so....get a ram z mount and mount the thing similar to where I put my fish finder on my old boat...works great...easy to do...and it will hold the head where you can take it off when you put the boat away or you are docked someplace......

then get a speaker for that danged radio....can't hear that thing when it's near your knee either...plus that quarter sized speaker sucks....

:arr arrr
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:12 PM   #6
Lt. Commander

Thanks guys. I now consider myself educated on where to place the GPS. Now I'm going to open a can of worms and ask for recomendations. I'm based on a fairly small lake (Allatoona Lake) in Georgia so I wont be having to worry about getting into shipping lanes :wink: but I would like something with a fairly large color displat that's easy to use. All I would really want to do is set my home base and then wherever I am, hit the home button and off I go. also, since the lake levels change so rapidly on this particular lake, what good do you think it will be with regards to depth readings? Some of the coves there can be 7' one week and 3' the next depending on how much rain and how much water the Corp of Engineers releases.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:11 PM   #7
Admiral

Take a look at the lowrance h5d...they have a 3d transducer you can hook up too it..it's both..fishfinder and gps...I have one and it's awesome...just flat out incredible....
it even spots a boat sitting on the bottom...I'd say ..go with something like this...basically a side scan sonar system tied to a gps....

http://www.lowrance.com/en/Products/Mar ... on-System/

SP :mrgreen:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymru
Thanks guys. I now consider myself educated on where to place the GPS. Now I'm going to open a can of worms and ask for recomendations. I'm based on a fairly small lake (Allatoona Lake) in Georgia so I wont be having to worry about getting into shipping lanes :wink: but I would like something with a fairly large color displat that's easy to use. All I would really want to do is set my home base and then wherever I am, hit the home button and off I go. also, since the lake levels change so rapidly on this particular lake, what good do you think it will be with regards to depth readings? Some of the coves there can be 7' one week and 3' the next depending on how much rain and how much water the Corp of Engineers releases.
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 09-02-2009, 07:25 PM   #8
Lt. Commander

This the one you're talking about Seapup?

http://cgi.ebay.com/LOWRANCE-HDS-5-HDS5 ... 286.c0.m14
Old 09-02-2009, 07:38 PM   #9
Admiral

yep..but I think I got mine for about 700 bucks...looks like a good price...

SP irate:
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 09-02-2009, 07:58 PM   #10
Lt. Commander

I'll go ahead and purchase that then. it says it has a "Built-in base map including coastal shorelines, over 100,000 searchable lakes and water bodies, and highly accurate detailed shorelines and contours for over 4,000 lakes". Hopefully there's no catch to that.

Did yours come with a mounting kit?
Old 09-02-2009, 08:15 PM   #11
Admiral

I considered the HDS-5, it's definately a nice unit, but ended up with the 541s. The Lowrance 5" screen has better resolution than the 541s but the user interface of the 541s is more intuitive.

Regarding depth readings. The maps all show depth at various points but you don't know if the displayed map depth is at low or high tide, or the average of the two. In your case I don't think you can trust the numbers on the map, and those numbers are not "dynamic". Meaning, the map numbers are not updated real time by readings from the transducer.

Beware though, if you want a transducer to go with your GPS it's usually a separately purchased item.

Dan
Old 09-02-2009, 08:38 PM   #12
Lt. Commander

it says it comes with a 83/200 kHz Transducer. Now I'll have to find someone to install it. Thanks for the advice guys. Much appreciated.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:46 PM   #13
Admiral

Is it a thru hull, on hull, or transom mount transducer?
Old 09-02-2009, 08:47 PM   #14
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymru
it says it comes with a 83/200 kHz Transducer. Now I'll have to find someone to install it. Thanks for the advice guys. Much appreciated.

you can do it...just get the shoot thru the hull puck....then it's simple....oh yeah..it needs to be on an aux. pwr switch is the only hitch..

SP irate:
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 09-02-2009, 09:05 PM   #15
Lt. Commander

Seapup, you lost me at hull puck! ops:

Quote:
Originally Posted by seapuppy
you can do it...just get the shoot thru the hull puck....then it's simple....oh yeah..it needs to be on an aux. pwr switch is the only hitch..

SP irate:
Old 09-02-2009, 09:21 PM   #16
Admiral

there are 2 types of transducers...one that attaches to the stern or transom under/besides the drive...the other is mounted in the engine bay and shoots thru the hull....you glue a coffer dam to the hull and then fill it with oil...then drop the tranducer into the dam....
the 3d xdcr is mounted on the transome as the other one would be and trails along side the drive unit....

SP irate:
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 09-02-2009, 09:31 PM   #17
Admiral

What about the thru hull 'ducers SP?

The depth finder on my 2400 SC3 is a thru hull type.

There are pros and cons for each type. Only reason I asked which type the HDS5 comes with is to alert Cymru that the boat might have to come out of the water to install.

Dan
Old 09-02-2009, 10:19 PM   #18
Lt. Commander

This is what I bought according to the manufacturer;

•140-21 : with built-in sounder, 83/200 kHz transom-mounted transducer and basemap

So that sounds like I have to mount it next to the outdrive?
Old 09-02-2009, 10:32 PM   #19
Admiral

Yup, gets mounted back on the transom somewhere.

From what I've read T/M transducers, heck, all three types, can be finicky about how and where they are mounted so you may want to contact Lowrance, or see if you can get a copy of the install instructions, to make sure that particular T/M 'ducer will work on the back of your boat. Things like dual drives, trim tabs, etc-etc may require a different type of T/D.

Just trying to help. Would be a definate mood hassle to haul the boat out, have the T/D installed by someone who isn't aware, splash the boat, then find it provides erratic or incorrect readings.

Here's the link to the HDS Installation Manual. Has pretty good instructions on how to mount the T/D. http://www.lowrance.com/en/Downloads/Manuals/

Regards,

Dan
Old 09-02-2009, 11:01 PM   #20
Lt. Commander

I really appreciate all this feedback since I'm a novice at this. I've done a little bit of research to and if I'm reading correctly, I may be able to mount it inside the boat. Take a look here at page 11;

http://www.blueheronmarine.com/files/Lo ... nstall.pdf

I'm hoping this is the case but I need to confirm if its a skimmer or pod transducer.