Old 06-25-2009, 07:07 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Gotta Love new Gadgets!

The name's Big Joe and I run a 2000 2400 SCR out of St. Leonard Creek MD (right off the Pax River). I recently left active duty as a Navy Pilot and traded in my Helo for a 24' Maxum named "Mama's Only Girl." (I've got 4 sons.)

This is my first post, but I've been soaking up all the good gouge for months now.

I got a Garmin 140 for Dad's day and I'm going to transom mount the transducer. I promise to keep the inline fuse and follow the manufacturers directions on wiring it in. My question is regarding the method for routing the transducer cable. I'm thinking port side, parallel to the water line, between two strakes and I have the little clamps to secure the wire.

. . . but do you just find a nice spot under the swim platform, well above the water line, drill a hole, route it through and silicone it shut?

After that I've read to steer clear of as much wiring as possible (interference) and to silicone all screws prior to and following installation.

Comments? Advise?

Thanks a bunch.

Big Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 07:24 PM   #2
Admiral

Default Re: Gotta Love new Gadgets!

welcome to the zoo...however this on might be better in the general or elex. sections....I'll move it to stay consistant...

a helo driver eh!!...welcome...1 million parts all going in the wrong direction.!!..hahaha..anyway...if your gonna mount the head unit up on the port side then yeah..but then your gonna need some pwr to get it running..I think that unit likes to be on an on/off sw....however...if you run it to stbd...you can do this and have a nice instl..

I installed mine on the stbd side and used a ram z-mount...works great...right where you need it and isn't in the way...

but that's just me...
to transom mount the xdcr....drill the hole for the wire as high as possible....nice clean hole...take some epoxy and smear it all inside the hole to seal the wood inside....run your wire thru and mount with those D-Clamps...silicone any penetration that you make into the glass....pre drilling of course....once you have the wires run up the transom and thru..install one of those clam shell chrome covers at the entrance to the cable/thru hull penetration...make sure your liberal with the silicone in that hole..(don't want water coming into the people tank).......

follow the instructions of instl of the xdcr on the transome....should be good to go....

ok..I know your 24 doesn't have twin's ..but the xdcr should resemble this type of instl...

hope this helps...

S: :hello:

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:28 PM   #3
Ensign

On my 2001 2400scr, I mounted the transducer between outdrive and tab, closer to outdrive, on starboard. I ran my wiring up similar to SP's. I mounted the head unit on dash left of Tach/Speedo. I ran wiring through same hole as my throttle cable, which is easily accessible via access hatch in ceiling starboard of mid-berth.

Vince
vnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:32 PM   #4
Ensign

Thanks Fellas.

Vince, the throttle cable is good intel. Staboard side huh? Probably easier to route it from there. And easier to get behind the engine to reach it. I was going to poke through on the port side and run it over to stbd inside the engine compartment.

For a mount, I don't think either of your placements will work with me. I've got boys from 8 yrs to 2 yrs crawling all over my boat and the further I can get this away from that thru-dash passageway, the better. I think I'll mount it next to the speedo above that blank gauge that will hold the fuel flow transmitter that I'm hoping to get for christmas. There's just enough room between there and the glass.

Thanks for the help, now I have enough just enough information to be dangerous.

-Big Joe
Big Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 03:37 PM   #5
Admiral

Big Joe...danger is my middle name...haha :mrgreen: ....be sure to check to see if the control head where placed..will affect the compass....doesn't take much to make the magnetic waves affect the compass...take pic's..we love seeing other people spend money!!

SP irate:
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote