Old 07-10-2008, 05:13 AM   #1
Commander

Default General questions from a rookie

2001 Maxum 2500 SCR 5.7 Bravo 3

1. After a week or more of not running the engine it takes 4-6 long cranks to turnover after priming the throttle 5 or so times. Why?

2. I keep er on shore power. Do I need to disconnect before starting?

3. Need new letters for new name, Where do u recommend?

4. About 1 inch (if that) rain water in bilge that I cannot fully pump out. Ok?

5. Follow-up to #1: Should I go and start er up and let er run every now and then if I am not going out for a while?

More to come I am sure. Thanks for now.

Rich

rgreenwell8962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 05:54 AM   #2
Commander

I can help with #3.

Members have ordered replacement letters from:

http://www.greatlakesskipper.com/pro...cfm?CatID=SS34

From forum member Michmax:
"I used a Maxum dealer here in Michigan.

Wilson Marine, Brighton, MI 517-546-3774 (Ask for Karen)

She was very helpful, as I had the old part # (55437) from Maxum's web site. They took the order over the phone and the letters were drop shipped to me directly from US marine. Took less than a week. The part # on my receipt for the letter "U" is 1713026. Looks like it was $15.40 (I thought it was $14.95)...just like gas, wait a week and it'll be more...Hope this helps."

I'll let the guys with the bigger boats help with your other questions.

MMSI# 338052622
tglee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 06:51 AM   #3
Lt. Commander

Is the engine carbed or efi if carbeb they can take a bit of encouragement to get started i used to put throttle on full and let her turn over ready to pull back to idle as soon as she catches,
do you leave the battery charger on all the time on shore power?if you do check your battery fluid levels regularly at least once a month so you dont cook the batteries
You could always get the last bit of water out with a small hand pump or a sponge
have fun.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:28 PM   #4
Admiral

if carbed...yeah..they will dry the carb out and the gas has to be pumped back up to the carb...it's common in a carbed engine...
what I did was crank it over a few times without touching the throttle....then pump 3 times...set to 1/4 throttle..start...be prepared to pull the rpms back....

tglee has the answer for the letters...

ZT has the answer for the batt's....

8)
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 04:11 PM   #5
Lt. Commander

Location: Commuting weekly from South Central Idaho. Got Water?

Are you looking to apply vinyl lettering (name) to your boat?

I may be able to help you out there.

Send me a PM (private message) and we'll chat about options.

"If you look like your passport photo, you probably need the trip"
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:28 AM   #6
Lt. Commander

Send a message via AIM to TBarCYa

Don't forget that there is a proper ceremony for renaming a boat. Someting about appeasing the gods of the seas.

2008 Maxum 1800MX - 'Lottie-Da'
https://www.tombarcia.net/lottie-da/index.htm
TBarCYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:55 PM   #7
Lt. Commander

Location: Commuting weekly from South Central Idaho. Got Water?

Here ya go: It's a 'Two Part' process.

Good luck!

Boat De-naming Ceremony by John Vigor

(It's not so much being superstitious as being v-e-r-y careful.
It's an essential part of good seamanship)
First you must remove all physical traces of the boat's old name. Take the old log book ashore, along with any other papers that bear the old name. Check for offending books and charts with the name inscribed. Be ruthless. Sand away the old name from the lifebuoys, transom, top-side, dinghy, and oars. Yes, sand it away. Painting over is not good enough. You're dealing with gods here, you understand, not mere dumb mortals. If the old name is carved or etched, try to remove it or, at the very minimum, fill it with putty and then paint over. And don't place the new name anywhere on the boat before the denaming ceremony is carried out. That's just tempting fate.

How you conduct the ceremony depends entirely on you. If you're the theatrical type, and enjoy appearing in public in your yacht club blazer and skipper's cap, you can read it with flair on the foredeck before a gathering of distinguished guests. But if you find this whole business faintly silly and embarrassing, and only go along with it because you're scared to death of what might happen if you don't, you can skulk down below and mumble it on your own. That's perfectly okay. The main thing is that you carry it out. The words must be spoken.

There are two things to watch out for here. Don't use cheap-cheap champagne, and don't try to keep any for yourself. Buy a second bottle if you want some. Use a brew that's reasonably expensive, based on your ability to pay, and pour the whole lot on the boat. One of the things the gods of the sea despise most is meanness, so don't try to do this bit on the cheap.

What sort of time period should elapse between this denaming ceremony and a new naming ceremony? There's no fixed time. You can do the renaming right after the denaming, if you want, but I personally would prefer to wait at least 24 hours to give any lingering demons a chance to clear out. (Scroll down for the wording of the ceremony.)

Afterwards - Now you can pop the cork, shake the bottle and spray the whole of the contents on the bow. When that's done, you can quietly go below and enjoy the other bottle yourself.
VIGOR'S DENAMING CEREMONY

"In the name of all who have sailed aboard this ship in the past, and in the name of all who may sail aboard her in the future, we invoke the ancient gods of the wind and the sea to favor us with their blessing today."

"Mighty Neptune, king of all that moves in or on the waves; and mighty Aeolus (pronounced EE-oh-lus), guardian of the winds and all that blows before them: We offer you our thanks for the protection you have afforded this vessel in the past. We voice our gratitude that she has always found shelter from tempest and storm and enjoyed safe passage to port."

"Now, wherefore, we submit this supplication, that the name whereby this vessel has hitherto been known (_____), be struck and removed from your records. Further, we ask that when she is again presented for blessing with another name, she shall be recognized and shall be accorded once again the selfsame privileges she previously enjoyed."

"In return for which, we rededicate this vessel to your domain in full knowledge that she shall be subject as always to the immutable laws of the gods of the wind and the sea. In consequence whereof, and in good faith, we seal this pact with a libation offered according to the hallowed ritual of the sea."

Boat Christening Ceremony*

Everyone knows that renaming your boat will bring nothing but bad luck and make your boating experience something that you will want to forget. But what happens when, after months of searching, you find your dreamboat with a name that you just cannot live with. Since the beginning of time, sailors have sworn that there are unlucky ships and the unluckiest ships of all, are those who have defied the gods and changed their names. So, is there a way to change a name and not incur the wrath of those deities that rule the elements? Yes, there is and this is how:

Before taking your new boat out for her maiden voyage, you must have a "christening ceremony." A proper christening and the accompanying ceremony ensures good fortune to the boat and her crew throughout the life of the vessel. If, after being properly christened, a vessel does have a run of bad luck, it will be because her christening ceremony was poorly performed, rather than due to her Captain's incompetence or to sea monsters.. So for you new boat owners, don't tempt fate.
Perform the ceremony below before taking your vessel out for her maiden voyage.

First of all, make certain that you invite everyone to the christening who is important to the boat. Since this is an auspicious occasion, it is a good time to invite your friends to witness and to party. Distribute champagne to all attendees. Then, recite the following:

"For thousands of years, we have gone to sea. We have crafted vessels to carry us and we have called them by name. These ships will nurture and care for us through perilous seas, and so we affectionately call them "she." To them we toast, and ask to celebrate (the name of your boat)." Then everybody raises their chanmpagne glasses and shouts "TO THE SAILORS OF OLD…TO_________ (the name of your boat)."

Everybody takes a sip.

Then follow with: "The moods of the sea are many, from tranquil to violent. We ask that this ship be given the strength to carry on. The keel is strong and she keeps out the pressures of the sea." Again the glasses are raised, and the assemblage shouts, "TO THE SEA...TO THE SAILORS OF OLD...TO THE SEA!"

Everybody takes another sip.

Continue:"Today we come to name this lady_____________ (name of your boat), and send her to sea to be cared for, and to care for the __________ (name of your family) family. We ask the sailors of old and the mood of God that is the sea to accept ________________ (your boat's name) as her name, to help her through her passages, and allow her to return with her crew safely. " Again, with the raising of the glasses, "TO THE SEA...TO THE SAILORS BEFORE US...TO_________(the name of your boat)."

A last, long sip by all.

Now pour champagne over the bow to appease King Neptune, and lay a branch of green leaves on the deck to ensure safe returns. (Breaking the bottle across her prow is optional for a recreational vessel, and should be done only if all safety precautions have been taken, and after the bottle has been properly scored for a clean break.)

Of course, any champagne remaining will be the beginnings of a suitable celebration in honor of the occasion.

Once the ceremony has been completed, you may bring aboard any and all items bearing the new name of your vessel. If you must aplly the new name before the ceremony, be sure the name is not revealed before the ceremony is finished. It may be covered with bunting or some other suitable material.

*The above ceremony written by Commander Bob.

http://www.commanderbob.com

"If you look like your passport photo, you probably need the trip"
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:45 AM   #8
Commander

Thanks to all who responded. I will properly change her name and give updates. I will be in contact with the lettering guy, thanx for chiming in.
rgreenwell8962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 03:25 AM   #9
Admiral

according to the latest boatUS mag..you can go to thier website and go to thier site for lettering...they are supposed to be really reasonable and you do it all on line...might check it out first...

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 06:46 AM   #10
Lt. Commander

I think I'll leave my boat as Blue Max think it's had enough bad luck already by the look of it